No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: And so it begins [Re: Wolfdog91] #7017330
10/14/20 02:06 PM
10/14/20 02:06 PM
S.W. Ontario. Canada
D
Don Offline
trapper
Don  Offline
trapper
D

S.W. Ontario. Canada
Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and avoid the fumes both heating and pouring.

"Common sense, is uncommon, anymore"
Re: And so it begins [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7017331
10/14/20 02:07 PM
10/14/20 02:07 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
You mentioned powder coating....what are you coating, the bullits?

yes powder coating the bullets

baked on at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes it bonds to the bullets surface and provides a slick barrier between barrel and bullet.

they glide through a sizing die like they are already lubed . more velocity less powder , very very easy on the barrel , not had any leading issues

you can also hi-tech coat them or buy them hi-tech coated

http://www.acmebullet.com/Acme-Bullet/HiTek-Coated-bullets

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/14/20 02:07 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: And so it begins [Re: DakotaBoy] #7017359
10/14/20 02:50 PM
10/14/20 02:50 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
How's the casting been going Wolfdog? I've gotten into casting for 9mm and .30-30 within the last year or so. Definitely a big learning curve! Powder-coating has been going pretty well, using Eastwood Ford Blue.

Havent actually done any lol. Been collecting all the dies, brass, molds, bullets, powdercoat, gas checks, sizing bushing, thermometers, wire for making my powder coating racks, slugging balls, so on and so on. I'm going to so a whole video series but I want it to be both entertaining and educational so I'm trying to wait and do everything on camera so prole can see both my successes and fails, because alot of guys I talked to get discouraged because this videos generally so prole who have been doing it forever and a day and they make it look so easy.

Was going to have the intro video done this week but my phone I use to film needs to be repaired and my allergies are going nuts so I can't talk like I usually do either (actually got sent home from work the other day because of it)

But yeah planning on doing
7.62x54r in my Mosin sporter
7.62x39 in my bear creek Arsenal AR and My Norinco sks
5.56x45 NATO in my Daytona Tactical 1-7 twist upper and yes I have a 55grain and a 60 grain mold
And now. 22hornet which I'm currently in the process of getting some brass and dies for
Hope my latest order from mid south will cover my powder needs for this project
crazy
[Linked Image]

Re: And so it begins [Re: Wolfdog91] #7017377
10/14/20 03:14 PM
10/14/20 03:14 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline
trapper

OBX N.C.
Dang Wolfdog
You gonna be huntin vampires?

Re: And so it begins [Re: Wolfdog91] #7017422
10/14/20 04:47 PM
10/14/20 04:47 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I hope you stay single for awhile so can get a bunch of that stuff without explaining WHY lol

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: And so it begins [Re: Wolfdog91] #7017443
10/14/20 05:26 PM
10/14/20 05:26 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Wolfie,
Get on the CB site and look for the "Bullet Alloy Calculator" in the alloy section. It will tell you what to add to the pure lead you are using, like pewter for tin, solder for tin, babbit, plumbers solder, lino and mono type set, and what they are made of. If your intending to powder coat you can get away with using a softer alloy. You just put in the amount of alloy you have and can change the formulas on the spread sheet to arrive at what you need, it's cost, and BHN. It's a free and you can download it to your puter too.
There is still alot of pewter at garage sales, you just need to learn how to identify it and make sure it is Hallmarked, which it had to be to be used in food service, which is 96-98 % tin. The tin in your alloy helps get good fill out in your bullets and toughens the alloy. Try to keep the tin in the alloy close to, but below the percentage of Antimony. There is lots of reading on the cast bullet sites to help with alloy blending.

Keep your boots dry
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread