No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Boco] #6909143
06/24/20 10:48 AM
06/24/20 10:48 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Boco
Another thing of interest about this area-a couple years ago a young explorer discovered a previously unmapped tributary of the Harricanna river-named the Again river.
No whiteman had ever been on the river before and therefore it was unmapped,with waterfalls and other features unknown.

Speaking of hermits, you ever met the dogman on the rail line between Cochrane and Moosonee?

I heard he had died and they had to clean up the mess his 200 or so dogs had left on the side of the tracks.

I met his cousin on the train once and then we stopped and picked the dogman up. He had some cool stories, but was clearly totally banannas.

Killing a bear with a sled hammer, or "whammer' as he called it, bears playing with the puppies...total kook, but cool stories.

I came quite close to paddling the harricana, but we did the Wakwayokastic instead. Still a cool river, but just a trickle at first.

Edit, sorry, quoted the wrong post

Last edited by Hutchy; 06/24/20 10:50 AM.
Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Lugnut] #6909188
06/24/20 12:01 PM
06/24/20 12:01 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Originally Posted by Lugnut
And this is a walleye:

[Linked Image]

A smallmouth bass:

[Linked Image]

A crappie bass:

[Linked Image]

A rock bass:

[Linked Image]

A largemouth bass:

[Linked Image]

A striped bass:

[Linked Image]

Have any cute colloquial names for them?

I’ve heard people call crappie, paper mouth, specks and white perch
Rock bass, war mouth, goggle eyes
The “striped bass” you are holding is actually a wiper, a hybrid between a striped bass and a white bass. Distinguishing feature is the broken lines on the fish’s side. Striped bass and white bass both have straight unbroken lines on their side.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Jurassic Park] #6909247
06/24/20 01:04 PM
06/24/20 01:04 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I knew the striper was a hybrid between a white bass and striped bass. Our fish commission started stocking them in lakes around my home 30+ years ago. I remember the first time I caught one and my brother and I had no idea what it was. Neither of us had ever seen a white bass or a striped bass. We knew it looked similar to a largemouth in the face but had no idea what it was until someone informed us about the stocking program.

Eh...wot?

Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Jurassic Park] #6909249
06/24/20 01:05 PM
06/24/20 01:05 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
They are strong fighters and really fun to catch. When I caught that one I thought I had a monster walleye on and was surprised to see it was just a medium sized striper.

Eh...wot?

Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Jurassic Park] #6909254
06/24/20 01:09 PM
06/24/20 01:09 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I didn’t start hearing the term wiper until a few years ago when a fishing buddy used it. We always called them stripers.

Eh...wot?

Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Hutchy] #6909325
06/24/20 02:16 PM
06/24/20 02:16 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Another thing of interest about this area-a couple years ago a young explorer discovered a previously unmapped tributary of the Harricanna river-named the Again river.
No whiteman had ever been on the river before and therefore it was unmapped,with waterfalls and other features unknown.

Speaking of hermits, you ever met the dogman on the rail line between Cochrane and Moosonee?

I heard he had died and they had to clean up the mess his 200 or so dogs had left on the side of the tracks.

I met his cousin on the train once and then we stopped and picked the dogman up. He had some cool stories, but was clearly totally banannas.

Killing a bear with a sled hammer, or "whammer' as he called it, bears playing with the puppies...total kook, but cool stories.

I came quite close to paddling the harricana, but we did the Wakwayokastic instead. Still a cool river, but just a trickle at first.

Edit, sorry, quoted the wrong post

Thats the guy I was referencing Jesse- Jean Levesque.He spent all his money looking after all the dogs.
He was insane but dangerous also-he had a criminal record as long as your arm.

The North french is a nice river.Trout fishing is good.

There are several hermits tucked away along the Moosonee line.

Last edited by Boco; 06/24/20 02:18 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Jurassic Park] #6909473
06/24/20 05:33 PM
06/24/20 05:33 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Sure are spot on about them fighting hard.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: For the people that like to stare [Re: Jurassic Park] #6909524
06/24/20 06:17 PM
06/24/20 06:17 PM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Thats the guy I was referencing Jesse- Jean Levesque.He spent all his money looking after all the dogs.
He was insane but dangerous also-he had a criminal record as long as your arm.

The North french is a nice river.Trout fishing is good.

There are several hermits tucked away along the Moosonee line.

We saw him back at the hotel. He looked actually kind of presentable once he had showered. I never knew his name. We just called him the dogman. I didn't know how he died.

Complete hobo look with his water bottles on a yellow rope waiting by the train with a fire.

The smell was intense. lol

Last edited by Hutchy; 06/24/20 06:18 PM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread