No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6905839
06/21/20 06:15 AM
06/21/20 06:15 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Online content
trapper
Scout1  Online Content
trapper
S

N. Carolina
IMHO, a big disservice to a hunting breed of dog is to not allow it to hunt. Hunting is bred into hunting dog breeds. I see yuppies leading all kinds of hounds around the county parks. Shoot, 20 years ago you could still take your pet hounds to the bear pen and test them out. But hunting dogs became pets when people forgot to be a dogs master!

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6905876
06/21/20 07:42 AM
06/21/20 07:42 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
My labs are waterfowl and bird hunters but also house dogs for pets and protection in the home. all of them that I have had will hunt hard. My rabbit dogs have always been outside and will always be outside. and they get plenty of attention petting and such. The hunt is in the dog not where it sleeps. Besides everyone one knows with rabbits hounds the music and chase is better with at least a pair or more of hounds, could you imagine trying to keep 3 or 6 rabbits hounds in a house LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Jonesie] #6905888
06/21/20 07:52 AM
06/21/20 07:52 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Jonesie
could you imagine trying to keep 3 or 6 rabbits hounds in a house LOL

NO! One ornery, hard-headed beagle to torment my labs was enough. LOL

Eh...wot?

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6905892
06/21/20 07:59 AM
06/21/20 07:59 AM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
I've got some french brittanys for upland game hunting and they are a bird's worst nightmare. They bond better with me inside, and we are a team. That said, they don't sleep in our bed, and they don't eat from my dish as I have seen. They're dogs. Not fur babies as I've also heard them referred to.

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6905915
06/21/20 08:31 AM
06/21/20 08:31 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
My "pets" routinely hunt themselves bloody.

This pic is from the end of a long day of chasing grouse and woodcock through nasty cover. The dog is tired and beat up but you can tell by the look on his face he is ready for more. This dog belonged to my daughter when she lived at home but I took him to camp and hunted him every chance I got.

[Linked Image]

I swear they dive into the first thorn bush they find whether there's a bird in there or not.

[Linked Image]

I'm going to have to get a pair of googles for this little savage, when he gets a nose full of bird no brush is stopping him from a flush.

[Linked Image]

They live inside but are not allowed on the furniture and don't sleep in human beds. They are taught manners and how to be gentlemen at an early age. No crotch-sniffing, food-begging, face-licking, jumping up on humans, rushing out doors or up/down stairs in front of humans...

They have the run of my property and can go outside to swim in the pond or lay in the sun whenever they want. There is almost always a human home with them so they have almost constant interaction.

I love hearing their nails clicking off the hallway floor late at night s they do their rounds checking to make sure all is okay.

I think my dogs live a pretty good life and I don't think it detracts from their hunting ability at all.

So, unless it's a pack of hounds, I don't know why anyone would want to isolate a good hunting dog outside away from humans.

Eh...wot?

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6905970
06/21/20 10:06 AM
06/21/20 10:06 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I think a bigger issue is the lack of discipline and training that some dog owners exhibit.
Nothing worse than a hunting dog that does not listen and runs wild.
Whether its kept inside or out has little bearing.
I have however seen a correlation with owners that pamper and talk to their dogs like they are little children and poor discipline and training.

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6906151
06/21/20 02:17 PM
06/21/20 02:17 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
We got a couple german shorthairs, they both live in the house. I'd rather them be in here than some people...

[Linked Image]

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6906196
06/21/20 03:17 PM
06/21/20 03:17 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Lugnut those are good looking labs. Tough dogs for sure. Rowdy is the same way, he will hunt through anything from blown pads to barbed wire lacerations.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6906488
06/21/20 07:46 PM
06/21/20 07:46 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Hunting dogs started to be pets when the breed (no matter which hunting breed) began being sanctioned in the National Dog shows.The genetics and instinct is still in many breeds/strains of but it has taken a 2nd to the looks, confirmation, temperament and "show-abilty" of the breed standards. Establishing a hunting or working breed in the earlier times meant just the best were allowed to reproduce and those genes not conforming were eliminated from the "pool". Aggressive culling and inbreeding of young dogs was the norm until a desired product was established. Bloodlines were a lot more critical in breeding. I'm sure all the dogs and posts above are legit but when you go through a lot of dogs (hunting) you will find more that DON'T cut the mustard than do. And that is due in part to more dogs are being raised in a non-hunting environment (for the puppy money) so other genes are ok there. Why do you think we got the eyes, hips and a host of other problems that the hunting canines have today? Part of a dog's "hunt" is between their ears and evaluating that for reproductive success is non existent in an urban life. Blame the Show Ring................ my take............. the mike

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6906577
06/21/20 08:41 PM
06/21/20 08:41 PM
ontario canada
taser Offline
trapper
taser  Offline
trapper

ontario canada
Only working dogs here.....

959FCF90-DCF6-4BF3-93BD-C93EE459D8D8.jpeg

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6906620
06/21/20 09:09 PM
06/21/20 09:09 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I agree to a point Wife. The AKC has ruined lots of good hunting breeds by encouraging breeders to selectively breed for a certain physical standard while overlooking desirable traits like intelligence, temperament and hunting ability. Irish setters were one of the first breeds destroyed by those practices. Back then a certain breed becoming popular with the non-hunting, general public usually spelled doom for the huntability of future generations. The golden retriever is another breed destroyed by being selectively bred for the show circuit (decades after the Irish Setters).

Fortunately there were and are conscientious breeders that care about keeping the desirable traits in many popular breeds. It can take a bit of research and a good amount of time but they can be found. They offer eye and dysplasia certifications for the breeding sires and dames in their kennels, something the show breeders don't care about.

There is still good hunting stock from most breeds.

Eh...wot?

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6910167
06/25/20 10:05 AM
06/25/20 10:05 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
There has been many a mongrel Dogs that hunt hard the same as there are many papered hunt dogs that are not worth the paper to register them. And I have a male lab that is not papered hunt, came out of show, that will hunt harder than most dogs he is around. Discipline and training is control and behavior .(that is human responsibility) Hunt is the drive in the dog, The more a dog bonds with the handler the better the team. the same as with horses and the human. but the human has to be in control not the dog. that happens no matter where it sleeps.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6910188
06/25/20 10:30 AM
06/25/20 10:30 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
[Linked Image]
When they became the chauffeur .

Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6910254
06/25/20 11:55 AM
06/25/20 11:55 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Tired old myth that house dogs don't hunt as well as kennel dogs.
If anything, they hunt harder and cooperate better.
Frustrated, bored dogs hunt for themselves, not *with* you.

The more time spent with any dog, the better.
Impossible to spend more time with a kennel dog than a house dog.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Pike River] #6910453
06/25/20 04:24 PM
06/25/20 04:24 PM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
[Linked Image]
Just another day at the office

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: When Did Hunting Dogs Become Pets? [Re: Lugnut] #6910525
06/25/20 05:42 PM
06/25/20 05:42 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I agree to a point Wife. The AKC has ruined lots of good hunting breeds by encouraging breeders to selectively breed for a certain physical standard while overlooking desirable traits like intelligence, temperament and hunting ability. Irish setters were one of the first breeds destroyed by those practices. Back then a certain breed becoming popular with the non-hunting, general public usually spelled doom for the huntability of future generations. The golden retriever is another breed destroyed by being selectively bred for the show circuit (decades after the Irish Setters).

Fortunately there were and are conscientious breeders that care about keeping the desirable traits in many popular breeds. It can take a bit of research and a good amount of time but they can be found. They offer eye and dysplasia certifications for the breeding sires and dames in their kennels, something the show breeders don't care about.

There is still good hunting stock from most breeds.

I hated to see the AKC start registering more coonhounds besides just the black and tan. Now there are tons of people that own hounds just as pets. People living in freaking high rise apartment buildings with redbone coonhounds. Sorry, but that's not fair to the dogs, or the neighbors, lol. That said you can still find plenty of hunting coonhounds. Just stay away from the AKC and look for UKC or PKC registered hounds. You would think (maybe there is?) someone would create a kennel club that catered to bird dogs.... Start working on getting those hunting genes back in all the setters, spaniels, weimeraner's, etc.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread