No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bull Frogs [Re: foxhunter52] #6911645
06/26/20 02:53 PM
06/26/20 02:53 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Here is a tip for deep frying them.
Since it is important to pull them out of the sizzling hot oil at the right time to ensure that they are done, but not overdone, separate the legs by size and fry the small ones separate from the large ones. The two sizes don't become done at the same amount of time.

Re: Bull Frogs [Re: foxhunter52] #6911677
06/26/20 03:24 PM
06/26/20 03:24 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
A rechargable spotlight and a 10 ft gig at night, superb eating!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Bull Frogs [Re: foxhunter52] #6911689
06/26/20 03:36 PM
06/26/20 03:36 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
If I were frogging on rivers, I’d probably consider trying a gig, but where I catch them and for my way of doing it, there is no method more effective or faster than grabbing them by hand.

Best wild meat there is for frying or gumbo in my opinion. I try to put a couple hundred in my freezer each year. It’s my group of friends’ social food. I also announced we were expecting our first son over a fried squirrel and frog leg dinner.

Use a light that focuses the beam like a bullseye. Tighter the better. Don’t use a light that has a flood beam.

Cleaning: Dispatch them first, pinch the skin on the back right in front of the pelvis, cut it open with a sharp knife... grab the lower piece of skin with catfish skinning pliers while holding the frog with the other hand....pull the skin off of the legs. Cut the feet off and cut the legs at the hip. If you want to keep the whole frog, well, skin the whole frog and gut it.

Good luck

Re: Bull Frogs [Re: foxhunter52] #6911765
06/26/20 05:35 PM
06/26/20 05:35 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Jigging is fun, gigging is fun, most efficient and easiest for us was always at night with one person running a light the other with a small net or just grabbing. Some good memories pond hopping at night with buddies.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread