No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Professional RV People? #6913782
06/28/20 05:55 PM
06/28/20 05:55 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline OP
trapper
Chamacat  Offline OP
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..Just the other day I was up on a river fly fishing...I had moved up the river quite a way..I started smacking the trout on a small bead head...Well I was so involved with what I was doing I didn't notice that I was being watched..I was at the bank taking a hook off a fish when a older man stepped out of the willows and started some small talk...He said he had never tried fly fishing.. I said "Today's your day my friend."..So he started spanking them with my 5wt and was having a blast....I cleaned a limit of trout put them in my creel and asked him where his camp was and he and his wife could have a nice fresh trout dinner..Well..I'm following the guy and walk upon his camp which had in it quite possibly a 300,000 or 400,000 dollar motor coach...I swear the windshield was so big that I think I could walk standing straight up through it.I never went inside...He had it parked on his buddy's property..I stayed for a dinner of some of the finest marbled beef I have ever ate..OK...I never asked any questions about their lifestyle..I see these guys all the time on the road but was my first time with one.. Well the sun started to set and I said good bye...I have a few questions for people that live the RV Life..How does one go about what state to claim residency in?..Or do you don't claim anything?..How do you do your taxes?..How does one health insurance work from one state to another?.How or do you get your mail?..These folks said they live on the road year round..What is all the benefits of life on the road like that or downsides?...Thanks

I can catch them here...I can catch them ANYWHERE
Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913785
06/28/20 06:00 PM
06/28/20 06:00 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
The most important is what state do you license the motorhome in. There is a yuge difference from state to state.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913790
06/28/20 06:05 PM
06/28/20 06:05 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline OP
trapper
Chamacat  Offline OP
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..^^^^^^^^^^^^^.I did not see what state the motor coach was registered in...So that's a start I did not know about the ups and downs of what state to register a RV in..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by Chamacat; 06/28/20 06:05 PM.

I can catch them here...I can catch them ANYWHERE
Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913811
06/28/20 06:17 PM
06/28/20 06:17 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Quite a few 'full timers' (as they call themselves) register their residency in South Dakota because of their low taxes, etc.

Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913813
06/28/20 06:19 PM
06/28/20 06:19 PM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
You can read the RV forums and find all of your answers. Irv2 and escapees to start.
An overnight stay with a motel receipt will allow you to become a South Dakota resident.
Then you hire a mail service to forward your mail.
Only a few states allow you to be a fulltime RVr.
Some of these people can run their businesses online from anywhere in the world, which gives them the freedom to travel.
Some people are not satisfied staying in one place.
Most are only able to do it from the time they retire until their health breaks, then it's back to sticks and bricks next to their health care provider.
This will give you a start.

I worked for a guy that built a trucking company with 37 terminals in 19 states. He didn't care to fly and liked sleeping in his own bed every night.

Last edited by dkrug; 06/28/20 06:27 PM. Reason: add information
Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913816
06/28/20 06:21 PM
06/28/20 06:21 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I was explained this once but it's been awhile. Maybe some states you can claim an RV as your home and some states it's a recreational vehicle. Someone will come along that knows for sure. Vic is probably right.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913817
06/28/20 06:22 PM
06/28/20 06:22 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Gary is correct, the ones we have known ,,license them in Montana or other zero or low tax states.
Mail is delivered either to the campground or living off grid out of town on public land, comes “general delivery “ to the closest post office.
The wisest place to ask your questions is www.irv2.com Where thousands of full-time RVers talk.

We are still a few years away from joining them and living April-September in Maine or Idaho and October-March in North Carolina or Georgia or South Carolina

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913887
06/28/20 07:43 PM
06/28/20 07:43 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
It's all fun and games until you're old & broke with no house and a motor home that doesn't run. That happened to a friend's in-laws. They were doing summers in Oregon and winters in AZ.

I have a good friend doing it now. Both he & his wife work 10 or so months a year doing retail sales at trap shoots. that allows them to buy a new buss every 10 years or so. After about thirty years they are getting sick of it.

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 06/28/20 08:19 PM.
Re: Professional RV People? [Re: Chamacat] #6913976
06/28/20 08:58 PM
06/28/20 08:58 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Workamper is the site where RVers find work at campgrounds or state/natl parks.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread