No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: After the purge [Re: Dirt] #6914000
06/28/20 09:14 PM
06/28/20 09:14 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by Dirt
Jim may be the expert on slave whipping. I never whipped one.

I sold all my slaves because my arm was getting tired.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914012
06/28/20 09:21 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Shoulda freed 'em James.
They'll be coming for your statue right about.....

Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914014
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Can you imagine Gettysburg without confederate statues? The National Park would be destroyed. Gettysburg is hallowed ground for both the north and south soldiers who fought and died there.

Re: After the purge [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6914022
06/28/20 09:27 PM
06/28/20 09:27 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Can you imagine Gettysburg without confederate statues? The National Park would be destroyed. Gettysburg is hallowed ground for both the north and south soldiers who fought and died there.

No I can not imagine.

Went there 35 years ago, it was raining hard so the family stayed in the truck for quite a while, so I walked out among the thousands of white crosses.
I sat on a bench, no one around, as a bucket of tears fell on that rainy July afternoon.
That place, that ground, the history of that era, makes most who see it pause, and pray.
But some have a dead heart, and can't think beyond wanting what they want.

There's a special atmosphere and reverence at that civil war battle memorial!

Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914026
06/28/20 09:28 PM
06/28/20 09:28 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
No matter, Fred...History apparently offends some people...enough, so, that they will delete it, rather than face/learn from it.

Last edited by white marlin; 06/28/20 09:29 PM.
Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914027
06/28/20 09:29 PM
06/28/20 09:29 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I have never been to Gettysburg, but I think on a smaller level, Vicksburg would be the same.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914035
06/28/20 09:34 PM
06/28/20 09:34 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I wish I would have went before it was destroyed. Let's pray that the protesters get good and lost on their way to Gettysburg. There's plenty of little back roads in PA.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914039
06/28/20 09:36 PM
06/28/20 09:36 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Those old Hollywood westerns were not quite accurate on the medical horrors of the battlefield. At the Battle Of Little Big Horn, in Montana, a decade later, the calvary soldiers carried a little placard with a pic of the body on it + the percent of death that would occur if you got wounded in a particular area. I still remember; the main trunk of the body = 100% fatal. Sepsis would kill you (Hollywood digs the bullet out) almost all the time. Seems like the arms and legs was something like 50% mortality. That's why they said Custer's men panicked and ran every which way. The arrows would rain down on them and 'whack'... took one to the chest. You were a dead man walking!

The civil war casualties during and after the battles was simply gruesome. I'd have been like the native Americans = fight to the death as they did ( because torture - by the women typically) was so horrible.

Re: After the purge [Re: run] #6914043
06/28/20 09:37 PM
06/28/20 09:37 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Originally Posted by run
I wish I would have went before it was destroyed. Let's pray that the protesters get good and lost on their way to Gettysburg. There's plenty of little back roads in PA.

I would have to think that the redneck population here in Pa. would step up and prevent any destruction of Gettysburg. It just might become famous as the sight of a modern day bloody battle too. One of these days, someplace is going to reach a tipping point and then the SHTF time will be with us.

Last edited by bic; 06/28/20 09:40 PM.

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914053
06/28/20 09:42 PM
06/28/20 09:42 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I was thinking that also. ^^^^^ Gettysburg II ^^^^^^^

Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914300
06/29/20 01:52 AM
06/29/20 01:52 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Online content
trapper
martentrapper  Online Content
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
The only difference between the "traitors" that founded this country and the "traitors" of the civil war is that one group won and the other group lost. To consider the confederates as traitors is an incorrect slant on history.
Along with being "art" statues represent something. What they represent, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Whether one thinks our history is good or bad, if you remove material representations of history, the history may cease to be. What would the history of Christianity be if the cross was removed?

Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914318
06/29/20 03:17 AM
06/29/20 03:17 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by KeithC
Besides in my opinion being against the First Amendment, I look on destroying historic, public artwork as falsifying history.

Keith

Do you mean the history of the man the statue memorializes, or the history of erecting the statue itself?

If the former, the loss of the statue doesn't cancel the man's history, which is preserved in many better places. (Like libraries and internet sources.)

If you mean the latter interpretation, then I would reply that the history behind erection of the statue is of slight or dubious value.

Jim

Hmm, I've thought about this again, and now think I was wrong here. But that doesn't mean I now agree with Keith.

The history of the man and the history of the statue are two separate things, so when you talk of "history" you should be clear which you're talking about.

The fact the history of the man can be obtained elsewhere, in better places, doesn't nullify the value of a lesser place, like a statue and its inscription.

And the history of the statue might not be of dubious value to someone researching that subject. Anyway, real value has never been a requirement for First Amendment protection.

The First Amendment doesn't protect the statue from the will of the owner, public or private, as I've explained elsewhere. As I've said before, the statues should be left alone unless the owner decides to do otherwise with the public or private property the statues represent.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: After the purge [Re: martentrapper] #6914319
06/29/20 03:27 AM
06/29/20 03:27 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by martentrapper
The only difference between the "traitors" that founded this country and the "traitors" of the civil war is that one group won and the other group lost. To consider the confederates as traitors is an incorrect slant on history.
Along with being "art" statues represent something. What they represent, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Whether one thinks our history is good or bad, if you remove material representations of history, the history may cease to be. What would the history of Christianity be if the cross was removed?

Didn't I say traitor to the USA? Lee was plenty loyal to his state, and sided with Virginia when it seceded from the USA. He was a citizen who took up arms against his own country. Sure, if the South had won and preserved the cause of slavery, Lee would have been a hero.

History depends on perspective, sure. For the defeated Confederate cause, Lee was a hero. But how can you claim he was not acting to harm the USA when he led armies against Union troops?

How many Union and Rebel troops lost their lives because Lee's brilliant war strategy and tactics only prolonged the inevitable outcome?

Lee was probably the most brilliant American general in history--only he fought for the wrong side.

Jim

Last edited by James; 06/29/20 03:29 AM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914324
06/29/20 04:53 AM
06/29/20 04:53 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky

Lee was probably the most brilliant American general in history--only he fought for the wrong side

Jim

With what's happened recently, and even more so in the days to come....The wisdom of that statement will come into question.

Member - FTA
Re: After the purge [Re: ] #6914467
06/29/20 09:19 AM
06/29/20 09:19 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Mark June

I am surprised there hasn’t been a move to tear down the Alamo. Then it would be Alamo ll.

Re: After the purge [Re: James] #6914470
06/29/20 09:22 AM
06/29/20 09:22 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

The fact the history of the man can be obtained elsewhere, in better places, doesn't nullify the value of a lesser place, like a statue and its inscription.

Something to consider, especially considering the apparent lack of teaching in the American history department these days....

Have you ever came across a statue of a person, or a scene, that you knew nothing about? Being curious about what made this person worthy of a statue, you then go home and research it on your own? In a time when interest in history seems to be sorely lacking, a simple statue placed in a city park can be the spark that leads a person down the rabbit hole into what might end up being just a five minute google search, or a lifelong interest in learning more about the history of our country.

Ever hear of Josiah Tryon? Yeah, me neither, despite growing up only one town over from where he had lived. And although I had of course heard of the Underground Railroad, I'd never read anything more about than what was taught to me in school. Until I stumbled across this statue one day.

[Linked Image]

Sure, historical information may be found in other places. But I'd argue about whether or not dusty libraries, museums, or ancient historical societies are BETTER places to learn about history, than right out in the open on Main Street, where people will actually see it.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: After the purge [Re: Boco] #6914479
06/29/20 09:32 AM
06/29/20 09:32 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Boco
Dont forget the ones funded by the foreign fomentors of unrest(these are the ringleaders using those you mentioned).
The communists are well organized well funded and firmly entrenched within western society.

Unfortunately true.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: After the purge [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6914492
06/29/20 09:45 AM
06/29/20 09:45 AM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country

I am surprised there hasn’t been a move to tear down the Alamo. Then it would be Alamo ll.

Sorry to be the one to inform you Trapper but the move to tear down the Alamo as well as the San Jacinto monument has been going on for several years and it has become really heated in the last year. We are, as the saying goes, fighting them tooth and nail to keep the history of Texas intact.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: After the purge [Re: Cedar Hacker] #6914497
06/29/20 09:52 AM
06/29/20 09:52 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
[/quote] Sorry to be the one to inform you Trapper but the move to tear down the Alamo as well as the San Jacinto monument has been going on for several years and it has become really heated in the last year. We are, as the saying goes, fighting them tooth and nail to keep the history of Texas intact.[/quote]

I didn’t know that. Any actual mob protest occur at the Alamo yet?

Re: After the purge [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6914530
06/29/20 10:51 AM
06/29/20 10:51 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia

There has not only been talk of that and the powers that be at the Alamo have already changed some of the content of the museum displays to satisfy the SJWs.

Last edited by warrior; 06/29/20 10:51 AM.

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread