No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
AR 15 Help #6915536
06/30/20 12:28 PM
06/30/20 12:28 PM
Olathe , KS
B
bwurts Offline OP
trapper
bwurts  Offline OP
trapper
B

Olathe , KS
Been thinking about buying a AR 15. What are the pros and cons of just flat out buying one already assembled and one that you piecemeal together? I have long rifles, shotguns, and handguns but I always wanted an AR - really no budget but I'm more about function than fluff. What should I be asking/looking for?

thanks

tough times dont last tough people do

You are the sum of YOUR decisions
Re: AR 15 Help [Re: bwurts] #6915540
06/30/20 12:36 PM
06/30/20 12:36 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
You can usually get a little more for your money by building one,and you can put together a combo that suits your own needs and wants vs having to just.pick from whatever is available where you're shopping.

Re: AR 15 Help [Re: bwurts] #6915572
06/30/20 12:59 PM
06/30/20 12:59 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
availability is a bit low right now

completed guns noting wrong , with them, you often get a little more for your money if you are building but if you need tools that can easily be used up

if you plan to run optics and shoot distance , a free float hand-guard is worth it as it free floats the barrel rather than having the hand-guard attach to the barrel.

I don't get crazy about any other parts a basic millspec bolt carrier group is fine by me they don't need any special coatings to run in my opinion just kept clean and oiled properly.

I prefer a mid-length gas system

223 wylde or 5.56 chamber are fine

ask your self what is my use for this gun and what do I plan to use it for that can guide any more input on what to build or buy.

this is how I like them set up , this is a PSA upper on an anderson lower , an ALG ACT trigger group M-lock 13 inch free float handguard 16 inch mid lenght gas system barrel and a AR-stoner comp Vortex crossfire II bdc hash , Nikon p-series mount
[Linked Image]
not that 223 has much recoil but this gun is almost like your shooting a 22lr your looking at the target and the gun is making noise but your still looking at the target the cross hair hardly moved.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: AR 15 Help [Re: bwurts] #6915608
06/30/20 01:27 PM
06/30/20 01:27 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
You build one you get what you want on it, you buy one you get what they give you.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: AR 15 Help [Re: bwurts] #6915633
06/30/20 01:39 PM
06/30/20 01:39 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Right now if you want one, buy whatever you can get as they are getting thin on the ground these days.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread