Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6914519
06/29/20 10:38 AM
06/29/20 10:38 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Those floor finishes are not wax.They are water based acrylic,and,paraffin does NOT absorb odors,except in the melted,liquid state,such as a skunky trap placed in the molten wax ,or a batch of wax,badly burned.Wax,in the solid state is impermeable.

Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6914591
06/29/20 12:14 PM
06/29/20 12:14 PM
new york
G
general Offline
trapper
general  Offline
trapper
G

new york
Sorry but wax does absorb odors. Impermeable means wax doesn't absorb water or fluids not odors. Often when you but wax that has been with fox urine of lures you can smell it on the wax. It still is a good protection for traps. All dyes, waxes and treatments have an odor.

Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6914694
06/29/20 03:08 PM
06/29/20 03:08 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Sorry but it is impermeable to liquids and gas.It is used in canning to prevent air from getting to certain foods.It is used as a sealant.Odors are molecules of scent suspended in air.Air won't go through solid wax.it is impermeable.

Try painting a surface with liquid pariffin.Paint the other side of the board with the dip of your choice.Now spray paint over both finishes.Try sticking tape to both surfaces.They won't adhere wax.Most,if not all finishes and tapes will stick to trap dips.

Regarding buying wax from dealers that set right next to lure on shelves,I don't know how you would know that and don't know a reputable dealer that would put those products together.If it does happen,most of the smell will be on the wrapper and the wax can be cleaned,easily before melting,if you think it has odor on the surface.Personally,I don't get wax from dealers but I won't hesitate to get it from a hobby store or grocery store and throw it right in my wax pot.

Don't get me wrong,I am not knocking any dips or paints as trap finishes.Used correctly,most can work well but it is more about personal preference than one product contains an odor or absorbs some odors.Use what you like.I do and I have 60 years experience using dye,wax and dye and wax and the dye and wax,done correctly,works better for me than anything I have tried,including few dips.It keeps my traps in good shape without causing any problems.

In the last 27 years I have had 7 traps uncovered by canines.3 of those were the result of my very badly burning the wax and using it anyway.I caught some with it,regardless,but wouldn't recommend it.Use what suits you.This works very well to protect my traps and cause no issues.My digging issues,though few,were my doing,not some product.

Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6914822
06/29/20 06:26 PM
06/29/20 06:26 PM
new york
G
general Offline
trapper
general  Offline
trapper
G

new york
Taxman I'm not disputing that wax is a bad sealant and you have very good points about using it on traps. Everyone should use what they have confidence in. Wax still absorbs odors, how do you think scented candles are made. scent is added to the wax and is absorbed into it. Even burning the wax it absorbs the smell of burnt wax.

Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6914945
06/29/20 07:40 PM
06/29/20 07:40 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
You missed my point completely.I was very clear that in a liquid state,scents like in candles can be infused into wax.I also said that a skunked trap could accomplish the same thing.The same thing can happen to any dip in the liquid state.
I clearly spoke of wax in it's solid state as not being absorbent and it is not.If the liquid state were the issue,will anyone let me add skunk essence or lavender candle scent to their FMJ or Formula one?I don't think so.That is silliness and sementics.Would we say then that all dips absorb odors like a sponge?

Of course they not 0nly add scent as well as color to liquid candle wax but also thoroughly blend it with usually,commercial mixers.Yes the scent will be infused all through the the wax.It wasn't absorbed.

Same with burnt wax.Of course if it were badly burnt it will sm.ell burnt.It was in the liquid state.Over many years,I have seen how people dye and wax traps.A few know how to do it and it is easy ,but you still have to do it right.Many butcher the process and then blame the method.That is where the old wives tales come from.

Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6915107
06/29/20 10:15 PM
06/29/20 10:15 PM
new york
G
general Offline
trapper
general  Offline
trapper
G

new york
You do have some good ideas. I didn't miss your point. I just don't agree with all of it. I guess we need to agree to disagree. No hard feelings intended. May your traps always be full.

Re: FMJ [Re: Duckie1] #6915595
06/30/20 01:17 PM
06/30/20 01:17 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I agree with taximan . If you pour any liquid over a solid chunk of wax that wax won't absorb the odor of that liquid. Same thing when that wax Is submerged Into any liquid. There may be a film left on that wax when It's removed but It's not absorbing the odor.
Both wax and paraffin are derived from petroleum the paraffin Is just refined (less oil) more then the wax.

Back In the old timey days instead of using screw on lids when you bottled jams and jellies you just poured liquid wax over the contents to seal the jar. And that wax when removed had absorbed the flavor of the contents of the jar.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91