No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915001
06/29/20 08:40 PM
06/29/20 08:40 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
A lot of you are going to howl like banshees at what I’m about to post I don’t care. I have hands on experience with over a hundred 10-22s. Why? Because I was one of two gunsmiths in a well established gun shop in a suburb of Houston Texas. We were a full service shop that did everything from triggers to reblueing parkerizing to full blown custom 1911s and rifles. We even had a half dozen class III milspeck guns that we rented for use in the indoor range. On average we repaired twenty five, thirty firearms a week and refinished fifteen, twenty every other week. On any given day there would be a couple maybe three 10-22s on the “rack” with a tag on them awaiting repair. By the way, jam is not a proper term to describe a malfunction of a firearm. Jam goes on toast!
Firearms have Failure to feed, Failure to fire, Failure to extract, Failure to eject and a huge range of other malfunctions such as dumping the magazine when the gun is fired.

Back to the 10-22s.
Most of them were in house for problems cycling, just like the OP. It seems there are two species of this particular rifle, not counting the bazillion variants of shop and swap drop in parts. There are a train load of these guns that conduct themselves in a reasonable manner are reasonably accurate, their owners are happy and will tell anyone that cares to listen that the 10-22 is possibly the best simi auto ever made.

Then there is the problem child. These are the ones that got handed to Marshal or myself with sometimes a string of expletives an a declaration that it keeps jamming! That it would not run a complete magazine without JAMMING!! No matter what kind of ammo it was fed it just keeps, well you know!

I even took one in that the bolt wouldn’t move from battery to full recoil position without locking up with an empty
magazine. This was a new in the box gun that had never been fired! I told the guy he should send it to ruger. He said no, he needed it for some varmints that were raiding his garden and needed it yesterday!! Just FIX THE##>€€^>£ thing. Well a few judicial strokes with a file to the bolt race ways and a no charge to the owner and he was good to go!! Repeat customer for sure.

All in all I think it’s a pretty good gun, especially if you replace the trigger, receiver, barrel, stock, and maybe the box it came in. LOL I shouldn’t laugh as their are thousands of people that do just that.

I’ve never owned one and don’t have any desire too.
I do like the Rem. Nylon 66 as a knock around and my personal favorite is the T/C 2000 , (I own the stainless version called the Silver Lynx). Nickel size groups @ 50 yards with about any ammo. And dime size with a few different brands it likes. No JAMS and no aftermarket parts!

Let the HOWLING commence!!

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915004
06/29/20 08:43 PM
06/29/20 08:43 PM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
HOWLLLLLL!!!!!!

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915017
06/29/20 08:52 PM
06/29/20 08:52 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
LoL I Knew you could.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915022
06/29/20 08:55 PM
06/29/20 08:55 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Had the same with ours, and gun shop said shoot good ammo only with them. So we use only Winchester or Remington shell's only.
And guess what it works, and i don't clean my user guns very often .

Let me sugar coat this
Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915071
06/29/20 09:38 PM
06/29/20 09:38 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline OP
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline OP
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Thanks all. It has not had that many rounds through it. He lives in Minneapolis, biologic male is antigun/hunting. Daughter chose well. Shaking head.
He is with us whenever he and we can have him.
We have shot various types of ammo.
Failure to feed
Failure to eject often.
My grandson will love this. I told him I know where to get help and I knew I could count on you guys.
PS. Love my savage 22 I received a year ago.

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915074
06/29/20 09:46 PM
06/29/20 09:46 PM
iowa
T
trappinia Offline
trapper
trappinia  Offline
trapper
T

iowa
I must be lucky for once , I have had several 10/22's never a problem . Shoot, abuse,clean,and repeat .

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915102
06/29/20 10:10 PM
06/29/20 10:10 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I got my ex wire a cute little sporter model years ago. We tried everything to make it feed right except for sending it back to Ruger. So long as she short CCI Green Label it worked perfectly. Being she didn't shoot anywhere near as much as the boy and myself, it wasn't all that expensive.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915174
06/29/20 11:15 PM
06/29/20 11:15 PM
McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
O
OKforester Offline
trapper
OKforester  Offline
trapper
O

McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
Yeah something isn’t quite right with that one. Most of the factory 10/22’s are built with such loose tolerances they will cycle about any decent cartridge through it. That is really one of their selling points. It’s usually when you get into custom chambers trying to squeeze every once of accuracy out of one that they get finicky about ammo. I would probably send it back to ruger. Some information they would find useful is exactly what kind of ammo you have experienced problems with and also how often or what percent your failure rate is.

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915466
06/30/20 10:59 AM
06/30/20 10:59 AM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker

Failure to feed
Failure to eject often.

Those are two separate issues. I'd send it back to Ruger for service. Either issue could be rough finishing or simply out of tolerances.
Ruger service is good and will make it right.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915475
06/30/20 11:17 AM
06/30/20 11:17 AM
NH
T
trapNH Offline
trapper
trapNH  Offline
trapper
T

NH
I would try a different magazine first.

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915543
06/30/20 12:38 PM
06/30/20 12:38 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Thanks all. It has not had that many rounds through it. He lives in Minneapolis, biologic male is antigun/hunting. Daughter chose well. Shaking head.
He is with us whenever he and we can have him.
Failure to feed
Failure to eject often.
My grandson will love this. I told him I know where to get help and I knew I could count on you guys.
PS. Love my savage 22 I received a year ago.

it is worth having a second magazine any way , buy a new 10 round mag the clear ones are actually kind of nice he can see how they work inside.

many I have seen have had a weak or dirty or gummed up magazine as one issue , I only use dry lube in Mags now . you are not supposed to need lube in mags but often find if a gun stops feeding correctly a shot of spray lube in a mag helps.
the issue is many lubes like remoil or wd-40 turn to a varnish when the solvents in them dry , rem oil goes rancid. this makes the problem worse when the fix dries out again.

I have gone to Hornady one shot cleaner with dry lube on semi auto 22s think gun plastic safe brake cleaner with a lube in it , it is 90 something percent solvent in a spray can with a dry lube when the solvent dries 22lr is dirty ammo and leaves a lot of carbon behind and we shoot them a fair amount , wet oils seem to get more and more gummy with the carbon , I won't say attract but definitely the carbon sticks to the oil , the wetter it is with oil the more it gums up with carbon oil mix

step one clean the gun , remove the trigger group and hose it out with one shot you shouldn't need to take it apart at this time.
use a tooth brush or gun cleaning brush these are handy https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018544759?pid=509674
you want everything in the receiver clean , the bolt and action rod also.
clean the barrel and make sure the breach face is clean of all carbon as well as the extractor slot
clean the chamber a carbon ring can build up int he chamber a good barrel cleaning should take care of this.nylon or brass brush and the one shot should do followed by some patches till patches come out clean

look over that bolt , many have a rough firing pin that drags on the top of the inside of the receiver this can be filed or stoned then buffed , a friend that builds a lot of 10/22s into target guns will just run this on his belt sander with a fine grit belt like 1200 grit he also gives the back of the bolt a radius so that it slides cross the hammer easier but that isn't needed for reliability with normal ammo, a stone or even fine file to make the firing pin not be ruff on the inside of the receiver you will sometimes see where it is wearing into the top of the receiver . the firing pin doesn't need to protrude from the top of the bolt but often does making this smooth , cleaning and buffing and cleaning again and lubricating with dry lube.

you should be able to run your finger over the top of the bolt and it should bee smooth no part of the firing pin needs to be rough or protruding from the top of the bolt to work , this one had that issue , I stoned it some and buffed it , it isn't mirror polished or anything just no longer dragging on anything

[Linked Image]

re-assemble

load rounds in the magazine at the range and put one round in then drop the magazine. is ejection 100% over 20-30 rounds like this ? each one only needs to eject your taking the magazine out before firing.

did the hammer reset on all of those ? can you pull the trigger on the empty chamber and hear the hammer fall?

when you have ejection 100% with no magazine in and hammer reset we are 2/3 of the way to working now we just need to add feeding the next round

with that new magazine , that you have given a shot of dry lube load 5 insert the magazine , with the gun safely down range chamber a round and fire watching. did it eject , did the bolt return to battery , sqweeeze the trigger again , did it fire ? did it eject , did the bolt return to battery continue for those 5 rounds , load that mag with 5 more and try again did it eject , load and return to battery ? repeat this for several magazines , then start loading 8 and repeat for a few , then 10 and run several. did you get through all of that or did you have stoppages

CCI standard velocity or mini mags are my go to ammo for the 10/22 they just seems to work very well

if the stoppages happen when the magazine is in there are other things to try

the gun in the picture was purchased in 2000 and it only seemed to like CCI stingers for a long time , they have more power a hyper velocity round and it overcame the resistance it was getting from the rough protruding firing pin reset the hammer and had the energy to return to battery where bulk ammo liek your would half the time not make it through a magazine

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915616
06/30/20 01:30 PM
06/30/20 01:30 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Cmcf already touched on this but...are there other good semi auto 22s you guys prefer? Shot a marlin 60 for a while...any others?

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: MChewk] #6915657
06/30/20 01:58 PM
06/30/20 01:58 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by MChewk
Cmcf already touched on this but...are there other good semi auto 22s you guys prefer? Shot a marlin 60 for a while...any others?

that aren't based on the 10/22 and are detachable magazine fed and currently in production and under 400 dollars , not a lot.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915663
06/30/20 02:02 PM
06/30/20 02:02 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
That is super unusual I have had 6-8 10/22 and they all shot whatever ammo I tried and almost never a jam, by far the most dependable .22 semiauto I've ever used.

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: MChewk] #6915668
06/30/20 02:04 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa

Marlin = jam-o-matic

No reason for any other than a 10/22 IMO. And I rarely clean them, like almost never!

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6915669
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Pete are there expensive “non issue” semis you’d give a nod to? Got a buddy....single guy who likes spending $$

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: MChewk] #6915740
06/30/20 02:52 PM
06/30/20 02:52 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Pete are there expensive “non issue” semis you’d give a nod to? Got a buddy....single guy who likes spending $$

they're are all sorts of excellent semi auto 22s out there in 350 on up to sky is the limit but it would seem most of them are based on the 10/22 and much of what are not are AR dedicated uppers

might there be non 10/22 variant or AR dedicated 22upper great semi auto 22lr semi auto rifles around that are magazine fed for lots of money

I got married at 21 and have a bunch of kids and they eat alot of my money so I have't really had much of a chance to explore that.

if your buddy wants to get a really nice rifle and doesn't mind dropping 1K on a 22lr KIDD it is a custom 10/22 but they shoot.

there is nothing inherently wrong or broken about the 10/22 design with so many copying it it must be good , but when they turn them out at a price point or 200-250 they are an out the door they go rifle meaning you send it back if it is wrong and Ruger has a very good customer service department. sometimes a rough part makes it out the door .

for the guy who likes to work on a rifle they are the AR-15 of 22rifles so many parts available , the sky really is the limit in building one.

what is different about a customized gun , the bolts are polished and made to greater accuracy often they are built on custom machined 10/22 receivers to tighter tolerances hand lapped target barrels.

I have a friend who used to working in a 10/22 custom shop you can buy and assemble awesome parts or you can take a 200 dollar of the shelf gun and really clean it up then most of it is labor.

he cuts and crowns the barrel , rechambers ,re cuts the extractor slot , trues up the bolt face , polishes the bolt , radiuses the back of the bolt further and glass beds the action in the stock

ever shot a customized S&W revolver , they don't come like that from the assembly line. that is time and knowledge and tuning I have gotten to try some customized bullseye guns , glass smooth light double action trigger with a 11 ounce single action trigger so incredibly smooth breaks like a glass rod

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: Bear Tracker] #6916230
06/30/20 10:44 PM
06/30/20 10:44 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline OP
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline OP
trapper
B

Wisconsin
I emailed customer service at Ruger. Received the following today. Very happy with the response so far.

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.

We would like to take a look at your firearm to address your concerns. Please contact our Product Service Department at 336-949-5200 with the serial number to have an RMA number issued for return, or you may send it in through your dealer if you prefer. Please have them contact us with the serial number and the stores FFL number to have an RMA number issued. Please be advised, if you will be sending the firearm through a dealer we will need the dealers permission to discuss the repairs with you.

Please provide permission to bring the firearm back to factory specifications. No repair will be performed if the firearm has been altered or changed.

Please be advised if your firearm is over two years old and if you find that UPS or FedEx is too costly to send in your firearm, we would be happy to sell you a prepaid shipping label for $30.00.

Please be advised, Newport Customer Service will be closed on Friday July 3rd. We will do our best to respond to emails and voicemails as quickly as possible upon reopening on Monday July 6th. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ruger Customer Service

Re: 10/22 Ruger ? [Re: MChewk] #6916248
06/30/20 11:00 PM
06/30/20 11:00 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43

I have a Marlin 60 (limited edition with gold trigger and gold inlay on the stock), that was given to me in eighth grade. At one time I could drive nails at 25 yds, I used to shoot blackbirds at 55yds repeatedly. This particular gun has malfunctioned maybe half a dozen times in 25+ yrs. I also have my Dad's 10/22 that he bought new in the 70's, I LOVE the gun, it's a carbine, light, accurate...but, it does seem to throw a backwards case every now and again, I don't know why, but, I would think they should have figured it out by now. Idk

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread