No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918439
07/02/20 09:55 PM
07/02/20 09:55 PM

J
JOCO1995
Unregistered
JOCO1995
Unregistered
J

My last comment was for June, and thanks for the kind words Savell, heritage is a word that means a lot to me as I make a lot of decisions based on what I think the ancestors before me would have done. I jumped on this thread like white on rice

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918453
07/02/20 10:02 PM
07/02/20 10:02 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I have family down there going back to the mid 1800s some of them live on one of the original homesteads registered with the historical society as being continuously owned and operated by the family as farm operation
Sorry for your loss RIP And I feel the earthquake every time I think of my ancestors. My moms dad wasn’t a ranger. He was a deputy sheriff in Lampasas. No doubt in my mind what his thoughts would be on current events.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918457
07/02/20 10:05 PM
07/02/20 10:05 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Great grandfather was a Choctaw . I believe great grandma was Choctaw and Cherokee . Visited them in Oklahoma when I was a kid about 45 yrs ago . Wish I knew more about them . Several family members including my dad , brother and sister belong to the Choctaw Nations . I suppose I should register . Maybe I'll follow the black lives matter and start an Indian lives matter movement and take back the land from the white man along the trail of tears ....cept I'm mostly white and not butt hurt so .....maybe not

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918460
07/02/20 10:06 PM
07/02/20 10:06 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

My wife's 5th great uncle was Robert E. Lee....yep that Robert E. Lee. She and I were researching her maternal family at a local genealogy society. Her family, the Lee's, were one of the first pioneer families to settle the vast Okefenokee Swamp wilderness in SE Ga beginning in the late 1700s after the Revolutionary War. Her 5th great grandfather is buried in a backwoods cemetary near the Suwannee River on the west edge of the Swamp. He has a Revolutionary War headstone with his regiment listed on it. There was mixing of the Lees with local Native Americans (what was left of the Seminoles) and the wife's great grandmother looked like an old Indian woman.....dark red skin, long straight hair that one time touched the floor when she stood....no gray hair till she was in her late 70s. She died in her 90s. She was 12 when the Titanic sank.

My Mother's side of my family has a long pioneer history here in SE Ga. 4th great grandfather was in the Georgia militia that fought the last remaining Native Americans in this area pre-Civil War. My 2nd great grandmother told a story of watching Indians come up in their yard to draw water from their well during dry summers when she was a small child. She also told of remembering watching Confederate soldiers passing by their home, many wounded, headed back to Florida in the late 1860s. My mother still lives within 1/2 mile where my 2nd grandmother witnessed this. Its still a dirt road.

I had/have WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and Iraq War veterans in my family.

I could go on and on with family members involved in many things...some good...some not so good. But thats enough for now.

To the best of my knowledge, I was the first with a college degree and the only game warden in my family.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 07/02/20 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Heritage [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6918474
07/02/20 10:13 PM
07/02/20 10:13 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline OP
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline OP
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
My wife's 5th great uncle was Robert E. Lee....yep that Robert E. Lee. She and I were researching her maternal family at a local genealogy society. Her family, the Lee's, were one of the first pioneer families to settle the vast Okefenokee Swamp wilderness in SE Ga beginning in the late 1700s after the Revolutionary War. Her 5th great grandfather is buried in a backwoods cemetary near the Suwannee River on the west edge of the Swamp. He has a Revolutionary War headstone with his regiment listed on it. There was mixing of the Lees with local Native Americans (what was left of the Seminoles) and the wife's great grandmother looked like an old Indian woman.....dark red skin, long straight hair that one time touched the floor when she stood....no gray hair till she was in her late 70s. She died in her 90s. She was 12 when the Titatanic sank.

My Mother's side of my family has a long pioneer history here in SE Ga. 4th great grandfather was in the Georgia militia that fought the last remaining Native Americans in this area pre-Civil War. My 2nd great grandmother told a story of watching Indians come up in their yard to draw water from their well during dry summers when she was a small child. She also told of remembering watching Confederate soldiers passing by their home, many wounded, headed back to Florida in the late 1860s. My mother still lives within 1/2 mile where my 2nd grandmother witnessed this. Its still a dirt road.

I had/have WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and Iraq War veterans in my family.

I could go on and with family members involved in many things...some good...some not so good. But thats enough for now.

To the best of my knowledge, I was the first with a college degree and the only game warden in my family.

....and you had the gall to put a permanent scar on that rich family history with the game warden nonsense?

(You know I’m kiddin swamp lol)

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918478
07/02/20 10:16 PM
07/02/20 10:16 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Some of my family members said the same thing, but heck...they trained me what to look for when i was growing up...

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918480
07/02/20 10:17 PM
07/02/20 10:17 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
most of my family came to this from Northern east Europe and Scandinavian countries 1860-1880 Farmers , Ship builders and Fisherman however one part of family line goes back much further in the US to the Beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Walker_(Virginia_politician)

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Heritage [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6918481
07/02/20 10:19 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline OP
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline OP
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Some of my family members said the same thing, but heck...they trained me what to look for when i was growing up...

Lol...

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918484
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

Grandfather used to strike largemouth bass in these cypress swamps with a burning fat lighter knot in one hand and a machette in the other.

Night deer hunting wasnt a thing until the 70s, 80s and later as there were no deer.

All my great uncles were moonshiners.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 07/02/20 10:21 PM. Reason: More info

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918485
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Us left coasters don't have quite as much to go on -- but-- my great grandmother(i knew her) and grandfathers farm is 2 houses down from where I live and was raised. My cousin still farms it and mom and dads place, and got ther century farm card a few years ago. That explains my reluctance to move but I fear i will have to shortly,

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918497
07/02/20 10:24 PM
07/02/20 10:24 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
My sister got the bug to research the family. Found on my Dad's side was one born in Connecticut in 1740. From there they went north to Vermont for awhile then headed to Wyaconda, Missouri. Some taking native wives along the way. On my Mom's side her grand parents were from Bavaria and didn't get here until WW I.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Heritage [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6918504
07/02/20 10:30 PM
07/02/20 10:30 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline OP
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline OP
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Grandfather used to strike largemouth bass in these cypress swamps with a burning fat lighter knot in one hand and a machette in the other.

Night deer hunting wasnt a thing until the 70s, 80s and later as there were no deer.

All my great uncles were moonshiners.

.... you’re welcome in my camp anytime lol

... but seriously.. I stay on the right side of law most times ...unless I swerve left to miss a little nonsense every once in awhile

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918512
07/02/20 10:33 PM
07/02/20 10:33 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
My great uncle drove Patton around in his Jeep during WWII. I had 2 other Great uncles get themselves out from deep behind enemy lines during the same war. A great grandad 3 times over fought for the union in the civil war. Also, have a great uncle that raised 12 children deep in the blue ridge mountains, the only job he ever had was making moonshine. I guess what I’m most proud of is from both sides of my family, I come from a long line of men and women who knew how to work and weren’t afraid of it or ashamed of it.

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Heritage [Re: danny clifton] #6918517
07/02/20 10:40 PM
07/02/20 10:40 PM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Oh, and they didn't hunt the buffalo to near extinction. Cattle disease was the culprit.

Uh Oh. That is exactly my opinion also but I get lambasted every time I say it.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/buffalo-hunted-to-near-extinction/273078

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918520
07/02/20 10:42 PM
07/02/20 10:42 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

My oldest son done the Ancestry.com thing last year and learned he was a mix of Norwegian, Swedish and other north central European blood. The report showed that immigrants from these areas moved to GA, SC, NC, and VA in colonial times.....with many settling in east central and southern Ga...which is spot on.

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918546
07/02/20 10:57 PM
07/02/20 10:57 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I dont think anyone has thoroughly researched when our family actually got to America, on my dads side we have marriage records from a wedding in 1736 in Quebec, they spent alot of time in Canada before heading to Massachusetts area in the 1920s, 5 of my grandpas brothers on that side served in WWII, my grandpa did not serve, in the early 2000s we found out why, he was working on the Manhattan project in New Mexico. After the war his brothers told him about liberating Japanese prison camps and my grandpa used to say "bomb was to good for the Japs", he did not like Japanese at all.

On my moms side 3 uncles fought in the war of 1812, one of their sons fought for the Union. My great grandfather x3 headed to Oregon but stopped in MN because he didnt think he could find somewhere better. Alot of WWII and Korea vets on that side of the family. My grandpa got a purple heart in Korea but if you asked him about it he would only say "I was just a cook", when he got back he couldnt even bring himself to shoot a cow for butcher. The aunts and uncles still own a bit of the original homestead but a moronic Uncle lost most of it pretty recently.

One other thing of note, my great grandfather got into a gunfight with a Sheriff while he was rum running during Prohibition, no one was hurt.

Last edited by Donnersurvivor; 07/02/20 11:00 PM.
Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918550
07/02/20 11:00 PM
07/02/20 11:00 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
My grand parents and such waited till the the country was slap tamed and emigrated from Switzerland mostly, some from England but we don't talk about them.

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918564
07/02/20 11:18 PM
07/02/20 11:18 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I had at least 68 ancestors in the US by 1700.

3 of my ancestors came over on the Mayflower in 1620. Senior Elder William Brewster was the head of the Pilgrims and gave the First Thanksgiving Blessing. His wife Mary Brewster was in charge of and cooked the First Thanksgiving Dinner. John Turner died the first Winter, with 2 of his sons. His eldest son, my many great grandfather, came the next year.

I had 38 ancestors in the early Jamestown settlement.

At least 14 of my many great grandfathers fought for the US in the Revolutionary War. 1 fought for the British.

President Hoover is a nephew and cousin of many great grandfathers of mine. We have letters he wrote. President Harding and Theodore Roosevelt are second cousins of many great grandfathers of mine. President Franklin Roosevelt is a more distant cousin as is his wife Eleanor.

My many great grandfather, British Admiral, Sir John Hawkins, started the BLM mess we have right now. He was a privateer and captured a Portuguese slave ship off of Africa, he transported the ship and the slaves to the Carribean and sold them to Spanish colonists. He was the first Englishman to start capturing and buying blacks in Africa and transporting them to the New World. His cousin, British Admiral, Sir Francis Drake joined him a year later. John talked other wealthy British men into starting the Triangle Trade of African slaves, cane sugar and rum and cotton and tobacco. John was the first person to bring tobacco to England. His picture was on most early cigarette boxes. He was the first Pirate of the Carribean. He took literally hundreds of tons of gold from the Spanish Armada. He was one of the World's wealthiest men. He paid the modern equivalent of a $137,000,000 to get his son back from the Spanish, when they caught him raiding them. He was an international spy for England. He foiled a coup attempt by the Spanish. He was a hard man. He beat a guy to death in a bar fight. When a South American town told him he had to pay tax on the slaves he was selling, he had his fleet point hundreds of cannons at the town and told the mayor he would level it if they charged him tax. He did not pay. He did start some hospitals for mariners that are still going.

Keith

Re: Heritage [Re: Savell] #6918583
07/02/20 11:38 PM
07/02/20 11:38 PM
Warren, (Southeast) Texas
ETexTrapper Offline
trapper
ETexTrapper  Offline
trapper

Warren, (Southeast) Texas
Had a relative that moved from Alabama and built a small plantation near Center, Tx. Three of his sons fought and died fighting for the Confederacy. Had several other relatives that fought for the Confederacy as well. Had a great uncle that was a Merchant Marine during WW2 whose ship was sunk by the Germans. He lived to tell about it. Had a distant cousin, a Marine, that died on the beach at Iwo Jima. Had several uncle's that fought in Vietnam.
I'd have to get out the family book to get more specifics.

Last edited by ETexTrapper; 07/02/20 11:45 PM.

Jordan ADC and Trap Modification
Re: Heritage [Re: ETexTrapper] #6918606
07/03/20 12:13 AM
07/03/20 12:13 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline OP
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline OP
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by ETexTrapper
Had a relative that moved from Alabama and built a small plantation near Center, Tx. Three of his sons fought and died fighting for the Confederacy. Had several other relatives that fought for the Confederacy as well. Had a great uncle that was a Merchant Marine during WW2 whose ship was sunk by the Germans. He lived to tell about it. Had a distant cousin, a Marine, that died on the beach at Iwo Jima. Had several uncle's that fought in Vietnam.
I'd have to get out the family book to get more specifics.

... yessir... skin in the game for sure

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread