Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Raccoon Bait #6918142
07/02/20 05:26 PM
07/02/20 05:26 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline OP
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline OP
trapper

Central Minnesota
Looking at using something for dog proofs and also foothold sets. i have been saving up bacon grease and i was wondering is putting this with cheap dog food would be a good mixture or would cat food be better? Would not put a ton of grease onto the dog food but enough for them to smell and taste it but not enough for it to get frozen together. Would you also recommend putting some on the rim of the dp's so they can smell and taste it easier?

Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: Outdoors Guy] #6918231
07/02/20 06:58 PM
07/02/20 06:58 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
What i do is buy the big bag of the bacon pieces at Walmart. I think its 2 pounds and it cheap. I run it through a grinder and fry it up. I use a little bit of grease but have found the cooked pieces of meat to be more attractive and give off more odor in a bait. Ive got a coyote bait i use it in but the coons will wear out a dirt hole trying to get the last bit of bait out of it if they find it.

Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: Outdoors Guy] #6918670
07/03/20 05:29 AM
07/03/20 05:29 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Everything likes bacon.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: Outdoors Guy] #6918741
07/03/20 08:28 AM
07/03/20 08:28 AM
Iowa
C
cat4fish Offline
trapper
cat4fish  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
OPOSSUMS OPOSSUMS OPOSSUMS OPOSSUMS

Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: cat4fish] #6918748
07/03/20 08:39 AM
07/03/20 08:39 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by cat4fish
OPOSSUMS OPOSSUMS OPOSSUMS OPOSSUMS

I don't know how it is everywhere else but around here I haven't found anything that coyotes find very attractive that WON'T attract possums. I will add as a disclaimer the louder an odor the further a possum can smell it. Fortunately around when coyote trapping we have enough pasture and crop land that if I stay awsy from timber I don't have much issues with coons and possums.

Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: Outdoors Guy] #6948506
07/30/20 10:51 PM
07/30/20 10:51 PM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline
trapper
K

PA
Bacon grease is a great lure/bait! Its a great filler for recipes as well. Ive heard of bacon being a great canine attractant. I use bacon grease for homemade suet blocks and coons are always ripping apart my bird feeders to get them out. One time I lost a suet cage to them! I personally would use ground/chopped fish with some bacon grease but that's my 2 cents. You can get fishy flavored cat food as a good runner-up to fresh fish. I would set out a minnow trap and cut them up however you want even mince them down. Minnows are such an underrated and easy to acquire bait that I don't hear many people talking about. I m not 100% sure but since the bacon grease probably has preservatives and a lot salt in it I bet it will help your bait last longer, even if its by a little.

Last edited by KeeperOfTheCoons; 07/30/20 11:06 PM. Reason: More info

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: Outdoors Guy] #6953447
08/04/20 12:41 AM
08/04/20 12:41 AM
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
Outdoors guy, I did that exact thing you are talking about doing, and it worked well with cheap cat food. Once I did that, the mix wanted to clump together, though, because of the bacon grease, so I added enough sugar to get the cat food bits to separate again. By itself, the smell wasn't as strong as I had hoped so I added some shellfish oil. I think you'll be happy with the results, if you do that.

David
Re: Raccoon Bait [Re: Outdoors Guy] #6956288
08/06/20 04:08 PM
08/06/20 04:08 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline OP
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline OP
trapper

Central Minnesota
Thank you for the feedback, i am also taking dinner scraps like left over fat and meat that would have been thrown away and keeping it to add into the bait mix to make it a bit "richer" (Example left over rib meat that would have been thrown out). Should help with the smell and the taste! Also i am keeping used cooking oil and left over crock pot juice (separately in clean milk jugs) that would be thrown away to either mix in the bait as well or to be used weeks coming up to season to help get the raccoons concentrated in the area. I will most likely be fighting the opossums off quite often but that its the nature of the game in my area (i am keeping these things frozen for the time being)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91