No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Can't sleep #6919583
07/04/20 04:41 AM
07/04/20 04:41 AM
Illinois/Indiana (depends on t...
E
eastwood44mag Offline OP
trapper
eastwood44mag  Offline OP
trapper
E

Still awake, ended up prepping a second pork shoulder for dinner. Figure it takes about the same work to do one as two so I'm trying a different treatment on the second. First one is injected with apple cider, dry rub of paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Second is injected with Yuengling and has cayenne added to the rub. Kitchen looks like a bomb went off, but oh well.

Re: Can't sleep [Re: eastwood44mag] #6919601
07/04/20 06:49 AM
07/04/20 06:49 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Heck ya, got a pork shoulder and two corned beef briskets in the smoke myself this AM.

Re: Can't sleep [Re: eastwood44mag] #6919623
07/04/20 07:19 AM
07/04/20 07:19 AM
Pennsylvania
C
Claypool313 Offline
trapper
Claypool313  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Are you guys related? One thing ive found with smoking pork shoulders. It's hard to get them wrong. But ive over brined and too much salt in the rub before. Seems like for me going simple works better. Score it in a few places. Dry kosher salt brine over night. Basic brown suger rub when put it in smoker. When the temp stalls out around 175 f, cover. I know some folks who tale it out and finish in oven at this point. Not for summertime cooking though. Unless you like to watch the AC and oven in a battle royale.

Re: Can't sleep [Re: Claypool313] #6919821
07/04/20 11:12 AM
07/04/20 11:12 AM
E
eastwood44mag Offline OP
trapper
eastwood44mag  Offline OP
trapper
E

Originally Posted by Claypool313
Are you guys related? One thing ive found with smoking pork shoulders. It's hard to get them wrong. But ive over brined and too much salt in the rub before. Seems like for me going simple works better. Score it in a few places. Dry kosher salt brine over night. Basic brown suger rub when put it in smoker. When the temp stalls out around 175 f, cover. I know some folks who tale it out and finish in oven at this point. Not for summertime cooking though. Unless you like to watch the AC and oven in a battle royale.

I just set the dial to 200 and let it run. I don't bother to glaze, since my wife doesn't like sweet meat, and I let people do their own saucing.

It's a lot harder with a one year old who won't stop screaming/crying/whining. She's cutting more teeth and I'm hearing it nonstop.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread