No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6918802
07/03/20 09:30 AM
07/03/20 09:30 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Thanks guys...will consider it

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6918806
07/03/20 09:39 AM
07/03/20 09:39 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Bogmaster I have belong to a local Sportsmens clib for about 30 years now Some years before I join they had from what I have been told a long and often heat discussion over a vote to allow women as members of the club .After a finally vote women where now permitted to become members, If we enjoy the outdoors ,shooting,hunting ,trapping etc .why would we not want others to have the same kinds of experiences . ALSO today there are many single parent homes .Often time the woman of the house will be the one deciding if her children will be allowed to go hunting or not And beyond all of that is something every man woman and child should know .Reckless handing of firearms leads to tragedy way to often I n order to help keep our 2nd amendment right we all need to do a better job of getting women n involved

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6918828
07/03/20 10:08 AM
07/03/20 10:08 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Get her a red Ryder BB gun that will allow her to become used to using open sights. Very cheap to shoot. Then get her a .44 mag pistol.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: nvwrangler] #6918843
07/03/20 10:29 AM
07/03/20 10:29 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Originally Posted by traprjohn
Congratulations!… The most important thing is to start her with a 22 caliber the first time so she learns that it doesn’t hurt and it doesn’t kick hard and not to be intimidated by a little bit of recoil and sound. Then go up to a 380 or then maybe 9 mm or 38 special.
Hearing protection is a must as well. Even with the 22.

The most important thing if she is shooting a Simi auto make sure she is not wearing anything with a v neck that a casing can go down. Those things are hot and accidents happen. Speaking from experience and 9mm full metal jacket doesn't even slow a guy down if you hit the leg

Was at a shooting match years ago and watched a man run through the stage with a 38 1911 about halfway through he grabbed his face but continued to the end of the stage, he just happened to have an ejected she’ll go up his nose, had to give him credit for being a tough sob even though he didn’t win or even Place I would really hate to go up against him for real

Tom good for you and hopefully your wife family finds she enjoys shooting as a new sport

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6918851
07/03/20 10:36 AM
07/03/20 10:36 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
As 22 magnums are loaded with slow burning rifle powder the muzzle flash and blast are intimidating i had a amt in 22 mag
Being your into revolvers starting with 22 lr you can move up to a 38/357 the load variations are limitless as are the guns available

olden tyred
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6918855
07/03/20 10:40 AM
07/03/20 10:40 AM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
My wife growed up coon hunting with her dad. She shot from a young age.
When we got married, she could shoot a pistol with the best of'em. We have
raised 3 kids and all started pulling a trigger (22) while still in dippers. For the last
12 or 13 years we have helped with hunters ed. Now 2 of them help teach it with us.
We help with several clubs that involve getting kids into the outdoors. I believe if
some of us older folk don't try and get kids and women involved, it's going to be a thing of the past.

Donnie

Last edited by Donnie H; 07/03/20 10:41 AM.
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6918912
07/03/20 12:01 PM
07/03/20 12:01 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
I have a .410 judge you would be surprised how smooth it shoots its heavy but my 12 yo has no trouble with the recoil and target acquistion, now when loaded with the 45 shells that's a different story

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6919006
07/03/20 01:52 PM
07/03/20 01:52 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
[Linked Image]

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Wild_WI] #6919014
07/03/20 02:27 PM
07/03/20 02:27 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wild_WI
I have a .410 judge you would be surprised how smooth it shoots its heavy but my 12 yo has no trouble with the recoil and target acquistion, now when loaded with the 45 shells that's a different story

if you don't load it with 45 what is the point of carrying it ?

just doesn't seem like we have enough snakes in WI to bother carrying snake gun.

the week after my son turned 12 he started shooting action pistol , he had been shooting center-fire handgun since he was 9 and 22lr handgun at some point before that.
his first run at action pistol he was smooth and deliberate I told him make hits don't worry about going fast , smooth is fast , he started laying down steel bang , bang , bang and it was smooth with not one miss about a second between hits about his 6th strait hit on steel a guy who had been talking with others had heard enough and turned around surprised and said wait how old is this kid he got a lot of complements.

he has been getitng faster and faster over

haven't shot much action pistol this year with covid , but he was right on my heals for time on a bunch of stages he was 16 and started drawing form a holster.

smooth is fast

he runs a glock 17

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6919046
07/03/20 03:19 PM
07/03/20 03:19 PM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
This seems like a perfect opportunity to purchase a new gun.....or 3. She needs one to learn with, one to carry, and at least a back up.

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6919461
07/03/20 10:31 PM
07/03/20 10:31 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
My wife loves to shoot. I've got her shooting trap on a weekly basis. She has shot every rifle, shotgun, and handgun that I own, She especially loves the .45ACP's. I've taken her to at least a couple Permit to Carry classes, and of course she easily passed, including the live fire range component. Still, she declines to apply for the actual permit. She has said, and believed she could never shoot anyone.

Lately, though, I've seen a little change in attitude. Looters, beware.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6921453
07/06/20 09:31 AM
07/06/20 09:31 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
great news!!!! my wife knows guns and has hunted a little. I tried to teach her how to shoot a pistol and become a better all around shooter

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: jeff karsten] #6921471
07/06/20 10:15 AM
07/06/20 10:15 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by jeff karsten
As 22 magnums are loaded with slow burning rifle powder the muzzle flash and blast are intimidating i had a amt in 22 mag
Being your into revolvers starting with 22 lr you can move up to a 38/357 the load variations are limitless as are the guns available

Recent technology if your wife decides she wants to find an "in-between" Tom.

The revolvers made for concealed carry are now offered in traditionally pistol rounds- in this case I want you to know how impressed I am with the 9mm made by Ruger and off course lots of gun makers. These light wt revolvers only weigh about a pound unloaded so shooting a .38 isn't what you would consider fun and neither would your wife. The 9mm has a lot more projectile than a .22 or .22 mag, is designed to shoot out of a short barrel, and has almost no kick. A child could shoot it effectively and enjoy it. These designs include low profile external hammers and internal hammers. There is NO safety on the one I have as my back up to the 938 but the trigger pull is long.

I know that sounds like a turn off but trust me when I say you wont mind. Ruger has come a long way. The long trigger travel is the safety and it is very smooth all the way thru the pull. With the external hammer you can (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) it and shoot very accurately. In a moment of panic (someone is basically on top of you) the double action might make all the difference.

Here is a hint if you go the LCR (light wt, compact revolver)- put it in a sticky holster- this completely covers and protects the trigger / guard assembly and renders it very safe to carry. The light weight design ensures that you wont get tired of carrying it (say in a purse) and take it out right before you actually needed it.

Last edited by Leftlane; 07/06/20 10:17 AM.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: T-Rex] #6921520
07/06/20 11:24 AM
07/06/20 11:24 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by T-Rex
My wife loves to shoot. I've got her shooting trap on a weekly basis. She has shot every rifle, shotgun, and handgun that I own, She especially loves the .45ACP's. I've taken her to at least a couple Permit to Carry classes, and of course she easily passed, including the live fire range component. Still, she declines to apply for the actual permit. She has said, and believed she could never shoot anyone.

Lately, though, I've seen a little change in attitude. Looters, beware.

Good for herself, and your encouragement, that she loves the .45 . I carry a compact SDX .45 easily , extended magazine plus two more extra.

When Browning invented the 1911, he knew what he was doing, to stop any drugged up individual,or scatter an angry mob.

Hollow points make sure the action ceases with much better speed . And in a situation such as what has been transpiring across the country, serious calibers are invaluable.

In home defense, nothing has as much respect instantly, as the sound of a Mossburg pump chambering .

No one wants to pull the trigger, but there is the time to feel the need. The fact that anyone is seen pushing your personal safety rights as a human , clearly approaching to do harm, dictates the need , even before they get close enough for physical contact.

It is all a matter of mindset. Forethought in mental planning helps that mindset.

Re: My wife wants to learn to shoot [Re: Bogmaster] #6921546
07/06/20 11:54 AM
07/06/20 11:54 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
good quality 22 auto cant be overlooked as a starter gun either might be a selection at a gunshop that she can handle and fits her better than a wheelgun My wife liked my Beretta 70s Maybe cause it was a small pistol and she felt more comfortable

olden tyred
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread