No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Duck weed issues in ponds #6921229
07/05/20 10:52 PM
07/05/20 10:52 PM
NC
S
Steeltrap Offline OP
trapper
Steeltrap  Offline OP
trapper
S

NC
Can anyone recommend a good and hopefully inexpensive way to treat a pond smothered in duck weed? I have got a couple ponds that one 2-3 acre and another 40' in diameter. Both are covered and I mean covered in duck weed. I want to clean them up before they turn over. These ponds haven't been taken care of in years. Grass carp can control it, and I will put them in once it is under control, but they won't be able to get this under control, unless I fill the ponds with them, then they will starve. And they aren't cheap either. Looking for something that will take care of the duckweed and nothing else. I have heard putting barley straw bales in. But they seem to be pretty pricey, and I think I would prefer some type of chemical shock treatment.

Anyone know of something that will kill the stuff? Recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by Steeltrap; 07/05/20 10:53 PM.
Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921254
07/05/20 11:24 PM
07/05/20 11:24 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
High stocking rate of grass carp is the way to go.
Yea they aren’t cheap either, but they are cheaper than chemicals and when they clean up the ponds they eat good.
My dad fought duck weed/water meal for years in his ponds. Grass carp worked better than anything he tried.

Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921605
07/06/20 12:41 PM
07/06/20 12:41 PM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
I read an article by the Lake Detective (Steve Mchomas Blue water science) of straw being used to control algae in ponds.

Might want to look him up.

Help yourself.

Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921617
07/06/20 12:49 PM
07/06/20 12:49 PM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Originally Posted by Steeltrap
Can anyone recommend a good and hopefully inexpensive way to treat a pond smothered in duck weed? I have got a couple ponds that one 2-3 acre and another 40' in diameter. Both are covered and I mean covered in duck weed. I want to clean them up before they turn over. These ponds haven't been taken care of in years. Grass carp can control it, and I will put them in once it is under control, but they won't be able to get this under control, unless I fill the ponds with them, then they will starve. And they aren't cheap either. Looking for something that will take care of the duckweed and nothing else. I have heard putting barley straw bales in. But they seem to be pretty pricey, and I think I would prefer some type of chemical shock treatment.

Anyone know of something that will kill the stuff? Recommendations?

Thanks

Take a look at this. https://www.sancoind.com/blog/best-pond-herbicide-for-duckweed

Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921658
07/06/20 01:20 PM
07/06/20 01:20 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Go to koi-pond-guide.com. Gives lots of good information. Or at least things to ponder.

Never too old to learn
Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Teacher] #6921725
07/06/20 02:44 PM
07/06/20 02:44 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Duckweed is a tiny flowering plant and not an algae. Duckweed is used by some pond owners and others to utilize the high levels of N and P in the water to prevent other vegetation and algae growth. Some places actually harvest duckweed to feed to livestock, which is on a large scale however and not practical on a small scale. This is a way to use up N and P with a non-algae vegetation. Duckweed when too dense can be an issue for those who do not want much vegetation in their water. Duckweed is easily killed and controlled by several different chemicals. Duckweed while alive creates O2 in the water and does not use O2. When killed it will consume O2 to decay. If stocking with grass carp wait until that process is completed. Also remember that eliminating duckweed and not the N and P will encourage other vegetation growth that may be more of a problem then the duckweed is currently.

Bryce

Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921738
07/06/20 03:12 PM
07/06/20 03:12 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I'll take most submergent vegetation over duck week any day. Seen too many fishing ponds ruined by duckweed. Got so bad you can almost walk on top of the pond.

Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921742
07/06/20 03:21 PM
07/06/20 03:21 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Take a bunch of cutoff copper pipe pieces and tie in a bundle. Submerge near shore on the prevailing wind side. I'd put two or three bundles out. Works for years on our farm spray ponds. Will take a summer to clear off but will be fine for years to come. Cheapest way I know

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Turtledale] #6921793
07/06/20 04:37 PM
07/06/20 04:37 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Turtledale
Take a bunch of cutoff copper pipe pieces and tie in a bundle. Submerge near shore on the prevailing wind side. I'd put two or three bundles out. Works for years on our farm spray ponds. Will take a summer to clear off but will be fine for years to come. Cheapest way I know

invertebrates are very sensitive to copper, you will likely lose inverts treating with copper.

I have only managed fish tanks and not ponds but I think Bryce is correct, you need to treat the cause of duckweed not the symptom, you need to lower nutrient levels, if there is an economical way to harvest the duckweed that would be a great way to reduce nutrient levels.

Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921807
07/06/20 04:54 PM
07/06/20 04:54 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Ponds are thriving and full of fish. Duck weed is no more. Commercially copper products are used to control weeds in ponds, this is a very low impact CHEAP solution to the problem

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Duck weed issues in ponds [Re: Steeltrap] #6921825
07/06/20 05:19 PM
07/06/20 05:19 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
I tried to teach new wetland biologists that ponds, marshes, wetlands etc. are nutrient "sinks" so if you have a fertile watershed with excess P, or a septic field close by you will have this constant problem. Just depends how soon. Best to come up with a long range management plan. All the info above seems workable with a little time. The chemical Diaquat Dibromide (marketed under several trade names like Reward, Spectracide and Tsunami) has worked for me for a number of years keeping a lot of vegetation in check in my pond and wetlands. It will work on Duckweed when the label is followed and is so low in toxicity that it is hardly measurable. I use it to spot spray Round-up resistant plants around the farm but like its highly TOXIC Cousin -- Paraquat, it is non discriminatory so if your spray drifts to desirable plants they will be harmed. Yours may not be the right situation but pumping the surface water (with the floating Duckweed) out to irrigate adjacent vegetative areas can help control Duckweed's spread and can serve as fertilizer. The grass carp have a good reputation but it usually takes a timeline for any biological remedy to catch up to a an environmental "bloom", can you wait that long? Give it 3 years with normal stocking rates. I have no experience with copper sulfate or copper products. I do with the other methods and they have proven to me their worth in controlling Duckweed, cattail, common reed and reed canarygrass, so pick the one that fits your mindset....................... the mike

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread