No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Interesting, large old knife. [Re: KeithC] #6921668
07/06/20 01:29 PM
07/06/20 01:29 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Y'all don't know nothing. That top knife was obviously used for castrating pigs.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Interesting, large old knife. [Re: nightlife] #6921669
07/06/20 01:30 PM
07/06/20 01:30 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted by nightlife
[quote=MnMan]

If your talking about the large knife next to the meat saw that’s not a machate it’s whats known as a lamb splitter som have a hole in them like a cleaver and some dont it’s ment for cutting meat a machate is ment for cutting brush and plants though you could do both with either of you wanted

I knew it was not an actual machete but that's what we called it as kids.Thanks for giving me the proper terminology for it as I would never have guessed it was called a lamb splitter.It is extremely heavy with a blade that is 5/16th thick at the thickest and overall length is 20 inches. It was more of a toe splitter than a lamb splitter since I remember my dad doing just that as he was cutting brush with it. It sliced through a very thick leather boot and then his big toe.......nasty.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Interesting, large old knife. [Re: KeithC] #6921783
07/06/20 04:27 PM
07/06/20 04:27 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Have a big knife like that one, makes a primo melon slicer!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Interesting, large old knife. [Re: Moosetrot] #6921924
07/06/20 07:05 PM
07/06/20 07:05 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
That cleaver may be a Bailey and Sons. Check very closely for a touchmark.

Moosetrot

I think you may have led me in the right direction but it is Beatty instead of Bailey. But the only mark I have found is what appears to be a 0 near the center of the blade. I can not see any other marking and am hesitant to remove the patina. Also, according to what info I have found, the 0 would indicate a 7" cleaver but the blade on mine measures right at 8". The handle and shape of the blade sure looks like the Beatty and Son cleavers shown online.

I did find marking on my meat saw. It is Keystone Made by Disston USA.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Interesting, large old knife. [Re: KeithC] #6921973
07/06/20 07:40 PM
07/06/20 07:40 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Hah! After I posted that I was questioning myself about the name! I had two of those I picked up at a garage sale and the handle shape is what tipped me off to what wound up being the wrong name. Nice cleaver! I would advise that you not go too far in refurbishing it. When I get a good knife or cleaver I clean them up a little but leave the good patina. I usually use Flitz on the blades. Be very careful if the maker's mark seems like it is electro-etched as the Flitz may remove it. If it is stamped no problem. A little XXXX steel wool on the blade and the handle will work wonders, even on the grubbiest blades, most of which will be high carbon which will show tarnish, etc., but that's patina!

Good luck!

Moosetrot

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread