No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lures for flat sets? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6921327
07/06/20 05:56 AM
07/06/20 05:56 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Read in charlie dobbins land sets book, rolling on something smelly is almost always followed by urge to urinate on some prominant object nearby.
A flat set with a lure that causes rolling in some animals (not all, some) you can take the rollers with a post set made nearby with only a shot of urine.
In good locations, I make 2 sets and sometimes a 3rd. One is always a dirthole/bait, and 2nd is usually a post set/urine. If I add a third set it's usually a flat set with some different lure. Those flat sets I like to use beaver caster or mink gland lure...something really different.
As other have pointed out, try to appeal to lots of senses. I do this with multiple sets vs one set with multiple smells. Probably not the right way but I have had many surprises by this approach.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 07/06/20 05:58 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Lures for flat sets? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6923050
07/07/20 05:57 PM
07/07/20 05:57 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
+1 for 7oaks Flats & Posts
Caven Minnesota Red is another all arounder that'll do it there

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread