No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: maintenanceguy] #6923179
07/07/20 07:47 PM
07/07/20 07:47 PM
Water Valley, Mississippi
cheechako Offline
trapper
cheechako  Offline
trapper

Water Valley, Mississippi
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Needing to show registration, drivers license, and insurance is also about getting you to talk. They can run your tag and they have all of that, including your photo, before they ever even approach the vehicle. But making you provide the paper copies gives them a reason to look around your vehicle and engage you in conversation in the hopes that you'll admit something.

Not so much admit to something as it is maybe I’ll notice something. A pistol sticking out from under a seat, a bag of dope or a pipe in the console. Get a whiff of marijuana or alcohol while standing at the window. Sometimes traffic stops lead to more important things than a traffic ticket. Most times they don’t. You’re just doing what you’re paid to do.

The trapper formerly known as sanfo008
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923201
07/07/20 08:01 PM
07/07/20 08:01 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I think most people will readily admit their offense to an officer when asked - it's just human nature. You know you were speeding, not wearing your seatbelt or whatever and will readily admit it when asked. I've done it myself.

Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923207
07/07/20 08:06 PM
07/07/20 08:06 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
When I was a kid about 45 yrs ago I got hauled in for MIP. While waiting for a parent to come sign off on me, a smartarse cop asked me if I wanted to have a beer while I was waiting. They probly wouldn't do that today.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: cheechako] #6923212
07/07/20 08:09 PM
07/07/20 08:09 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by cheechako
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Needing to show registration, drivers license, and insurance is also about getting you to talk. They can run your tag and they have all of that, including your photo, before they ever even approach the vehicle. But making you provide the paper copies gives them a reason to look around your vehicle and engage you in conversation in the hopes that you'll admit something.

Not so much admit to something as it is maybe I’ll notice something. A pistol sticking out from under a seat, a bag of dope or a pipe in the console. Get a whiff of marijuana or alcohol while standing at the window. Sometimes traffic stops lead to more important things than a traffic ticket. Most times they don’t. You’re just doing what you’re paid to do.

A standard traffic stop for minor stuff like a taillamp out is just a 'fishing expedition ' . LEO really doesn't care about a minor infraction. They are looking for much bigger crimes.
As far as quota goes , most PD depts don't have a ticket quota but brass wants to see 'contacts'
Contacts are normal traffic stops or even stopping a pedestrian and 'interviewing' them.
More contacts , more crimes discovered and perps charged with a crime.

Huge , serious drug busts have been discovered from a burnt out taillamp. Criminals with wants&warrants have been found this way after being on the lam from the law for very long periods of time.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Ouananiche] #6923238
07/07/20 08:26 PM
07/07/20 08:26 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline OP
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline OP
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Ouananiche
Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
LE asks for ID at a traffic stop. Person asks why they have been pulled over. Officer says ID first and then will tell you. Why won't LE just tell the person when asked right away?

Because what you're being charge with may effect your reaction to the charge. The police officer wants the information first, he doesn't want you having it first.

if i tell you what i'm arresting you for before i confirm your identity you can get away based on your reaction to the "potential" charge, giving you a chance to fight or run.

The cop wants your ID, so he can check who you are, check your priors, before telling you a charge, so he is best prepared to handle any potential reaction to that charge..

it's in the best interest of officer's safety to identify the person you're dealing with FIRST, so you have all the best information.

if i give you the charge, then you have the charge and your background, you have more information than me as a cop. i don't want that imbalance.

if you're on you have warrants, if you have a history of resisting, if you have reason to flee.... ETC.... there are a million reasons a cop should have all the information. it's their life at risk

However, police work for us and we have rights. Most places I know are not stop and ID. Police need to articulate a crime or violation to get I'D. The police may want I'D first and I can see why by your point, but it seems they are bending the rules to get it first.

No Jab.
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923257
07/07/20 08:35 PM
07/07/20 08:35 PM
s.e. mn
T
timbremn Offline
trapper
timbremn  Offline
trapper
T

s.e. mn
I always answer YES OR NO. If they ask if I know why I've been pulled over I say NO. If they ask if I have DL and Insurance I say YES. Less words the better.

Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Ouananiche] #6923279
07/07/20 08:49 PM
07/07/20 08:49 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Ouananiche
Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
LE asks for ID at a traffic stop. Person asks why they have been pulled over. Officer says ID first and then will tell you. Why won't LE just tell the person when asked right away?

Because what you're being charge with may effect your reaction to the charge. The police officer wants the information first, he doesn't want you having it first.

if i tell you what i'm arresting you for before i confirm your identity you can get away based on your reaction to the "potential" charge, giving you a chance to fight or run.

The cop wants your ID, so he can check who you are, check your priors, before telling you a charge, so he is best prepared to handle any potential reaction to that charge..

it's in the best interest of officer's safety to identify the person you're dealing with FIRST, so you have all the best information.

if i give you the charge, then you have the charge and your background, you have more information than me as a cop. i don't want that imbalance.

if you're on you have warrants, if you have a history of resisting, if you have reason to flee.... ETC.... there are a million reasons a cop should have all the information. it's their life at risk

Wow. I'm really having trouble with the logic..........or lack of it in this response.

Yes the charge may affect my reaction to it but I can't understand how that will change my identity ? That was the original question wasn't it ?

If you are a LEO, you really need to ask your supervisors for some clarity

Mean As Nails
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923304
07/07/20 09:00 PM
07/07/20 09:00 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I just want to know why y’all getting pulled over so much?
The last time I can remember getting pulled over I KNEW why I was getting pulled over, lol. He came to the side of the truck and followed the normal license and insurance, then asked if I knew why he pulled me over? I said, I figured it’s because I gunned it and made the last nano second of that yellow light before it turned red. He just smiled and walked back to his car. After a few minutes he came back smiling and handed me my license and insurance card and said I didn’t have any warrants or previous tickets and with my answer he didn’t want to ruin my record, lol. Said have a nice day and “yellow doesn’t mean go faster!” That was it...less than 10 minutes and I was on my way.

Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923439
07/07/20 10:39 PM
07/07/20 10:39 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Online content
trapper
Rally  Online Content
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Good call IME White17. We used to weed out rookies that leaned that direction.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923450
07/07/20 10:47 PM
07/07/20 10:47 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
When I get stopped I tell them I'm an old age pensioner on a fixed income.Sometimes it gets me off with a warning from the young ones.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923466
07/07/20 11:06 PM
07/07/20 11:06 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Well... for 25 years I can say that I have never asked someone why they think I pulled them over.

As a game warden, we make far fewer traffic stops than police, deputies, or troopers, but we do make a few. Most of the time the stop is related to a wildlife violation we've witnessed or a public safety driving infraction we've observed., such as reckless driving or possible DUI.

When I approach and speak to the driver I have always told them first why I stopped them. Then I ask for their DL, step back to my vehicle, and handle business. When I return to the driver I explain why they're being charged/warned based on the violation I observed. If i issue a citation, I dont lecture. If I issue a warning, I sometimes give some parting advice.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923507
07/07/20 11:38 PM
07/07/20 11:38 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
It is called entrapment. Subtle entrapment maybe, but attempted entrapment nonetheless. Fishing expedition is another description.
They have a job to do, but we have constitutional rights.
I do not encourage calling out the officer for this behavior, because the ones who use this ploy are going to make you suffer further for challenging their integrity.
Better to be polite and wait for him to tell you why he pulled you over, apologize for whatever he accused you of. That is your only chance of this type of officer to cutting you a break .

Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923508
07/07/20 11:39 PM
07/07/20 11:39 PM
higginsville, mo
H
headache73 Offline
trapper
headache73  Offline
trapper
H

higginsville, mo
So many memories....... When I was a kid I got stopped on a daily basis. If I thought I had a way out, I didn't like stopping lol. I was a little wild back then, but I had a lot of fun

Re: Question for L.E. No baiting. [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6923599
07/08/20 06:07 AM
07/08/20 06:07 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
When they ask me for my license I say "Aint in on the bumper man?".

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread