No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Big lake trout [Re: Bruce T] #6924153
07/08/20 04:26 PM
07/08/20 04:26 PM
Canada
O
Ouananiche Offline
trapper
Ouananiche  Offline
trapper
O

Canada
i freeze lakers this size. cut them with an old band saw still frozen. just cook laker steaks....
depends on the body of water, what their forage is, if this is a good option or not.... it's def an easy option

Re: Big lake trout [Re: Bruce T] #6924168
07/08/20 04:51 PM
07/08/20 04:51 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
That's a beauty of a Laker, Mackinaw, Togue, Grey, or what ever name you use. They are a popular fish in my county (Higgins Lake). I enjoy eating them in a variety of ways.

Re: Big lake trout [Re: Ouananiche] #6924459
07/08/20 09:47 PM
07/08/20 09:47 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Ouananiche
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Nice! How was it caught Bruce T.? Where I grew up just south east of Algonquin Park wire lining for lakers was like a religion.

Been a while since you fished there?
it's not common, and hasn't been for generations now, except for a few cases i've encountered where the fella my age just adopted what his dad and grandad did and never changed it, but most people have moved on, and no one picks up steel line anymore on their own, it's only through sorta family tradition that it still exists. (on most inland lakes i mean, not the greats)

My parents have settled near Haliburton on a nice little lake trout lake.... not gas engines allowed. not stocked, naturally reproducing healthy population.

Name the lake, I've probably fished it. Deep trout fishing with fine stainless wire is an art form and there's nothing better. All the high tech gear and downriggers to catch a fish for you is no comparison to the surprise strike on the forward stroke. Just like a jolt of lightning almost pulling the rod out of your grip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread