Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924267
07/08/20 06:37 PM
07/08/20 06:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
other than my dirt holes most people would have a hard time seeing or finding my coyote sets. On my dirt holes you wouldn't know were my trap is by looking at it with the exception of my step downs. And my dirtholes most people couldn't tell if they were man made or natural.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924281
07/08/20 06:47 PM
07/08/20 06:47 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Coyotes as a whole are spooky by nature and the less yellow flags you give them at a set the more you will catch is my experience. Sometimes it take experience to figure out what causes them caution and what doesn't.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924403
07/08/20 08:47 PM
07/08/20 08:47 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline
trapper

Central Minnesota
Thank you!

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924445
07/08/20 09:39 PM
07/08/20 09:39 PM
GA
B
Buckpasser Offline
trapper
Buckpasser  Offline
trapper
B

GA
I’m a relatively new trapper. I started trying to trap coyotes in January of this year. I kept moving and resetting until June and caught four. I started with three #3s and progressed up to 19 now. I’ve never seen another human set a coyote trap (or any trap for that matter) in person. I’m completely YouTube, GON Forum and Trapperman forum taught. I certainly appreciate all the great info here!

All my catches have been on bait that I made from barn cat, venison, or small roadkill critters. I’ve used beaver castor, gusto, Violator 7, and some Bibles lure. I’d say I trust the castor the most at this point. I try to set around 75/25 dirthole/flat set, and that is reflected in my catches. One flat set and three dirthole catches. I can’t get enough of it, and I can’t wait to get back out there this fall!

Some days I think I could trap anything anytime. Others I wonder if I’ll ever make another catch...
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: WadeRyan] #6924492
07/08/20 10:23 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Coyotes have become one of my favorite things to catch mainly because they seem to hold a stigma of being one of the harder animals to trap. I’ve found the opposite to be true.

I use stock MB550/No BS extreme juniors around 50/50. I have things I like about both and things I dislike about both. Out of all of the traps I’ve tried they seem to be the two with the least amount of adjustments and they both are built solid (I am not a modifier type guy).

I simply hook a j-hook onto the stock chain with 12 inches of 1/8 cable wolffangs. I don’t add any extra chain. I’ve ran Tom Stalkers driver for four seasons and I have a backup in the truck for when I break it. That’s one thing I always have is two of everything sometimes three. Stuff happens.

I run minimal lure. I’ve caught coyotes on lure. I’ve found some I really like. However, simple is best for me and you’ll never see more than one lure or bait in my bag anymore. I don’t waste time reading labels or figuring out what type of lure I have making a set. I just grab and go. Bait is king for me and at times it’s almost a lure. Any of the current baits in the market work but preferably one they’ll dig for. I also give each set a shot of quality urine.

The set itself is muscle memory. It’s almost boring at times. I find myself enjoying chasing what limited bobcats we have because they are cats and they aren’t as easy to predict their reactions here. This is 90% of my sets over and over again. Nothing fancy. Dirthole and go.

[Linked Image]

I don’t worry about scent control at all. Wear the same boots at the gas station. Wear gloves if my hands are beat up or cold, otherwise I don’t. Spray paint my traps. Really absolutely zero attention to scent control. I focus on speed. In and out.

There really are no secrets to coyote trapping in my opinion. Just comes down to putting in the work. I’ve read a number of books and watched DVD’s mainly for entertainment purposes. I do enjoy seeing how other people make things work. In agriculture territory Combines and Coyotes was a pretty descent DVD. It’s pretty no nonsense. I also learned quite a bit from the Indiana Vets fox dvd. I haven’t got around to watching his coyote dvd yet.

Really after all the sets, lures, baits, locations, traps etc. In my opinion if you want to catch a bunch they have to be there, you have to cover some miles, and you have to work.

Wade,
You may not worry about scent control, but you are practicing it with your focus on speed. In and out is the best scent control there is.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924495
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
No pro but I can catch a coyote on some days.
3 & 4 victor dogless some.modified bridger 3s. Either wolf fangs or super stakes or drags.
Lure or bait they both work for me.
As far as what type sets ,,,,LOCATION catches more coyotes.
Location tells me dirthole or flat set bone set and whether to use bait or lure. 2 to 5 sets per location .
I do not carpet bomb a place,,, 10000 acre pasture with 4 cannons get 10 to 12 traps for example. Flat sets get remade into a dirt hole if blowed up to bad.
One Permission per 5 to 10 miles apart we have about 1 coyote per square mile in my corner of the world.
Human scent ,,, it is my belief you can not hide from a coyote but common sense goes long ways in all things.
Hard work & and covering lots of ground make big catches.
Know when to stay or pull traps and go is also a major consideration. And one of the common mistakes made.[Linked Image]

Last edited by red mt; 07/08/20 10:29 PM.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924510
07/08/20 10:53 PM
07/08/20 10:53 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Red, why you have to post those coyotes with fur?! Makes some of mine look like those shaved dogs that look like lions. Walleye I agree that is probably scent control. I watch the guys switching gloves and wonder how much longer their scent hangs around while they fumble around. I make plenty of first night catches. Enough that I have really lost interest in anything other than speed. When Phil Brown was still posting his videos a number of years back I was always amazed how fast he dropped in a set and how simple it was. I've tried to re-create his video a number of times in my head.

I have been focused on a solid bed at times for the fact that if we don't have a solid bed the coons seem to really like to dig at our traps. Interestingly, I've been reading from that guy that catches hundreds in a few weeks over the last couple years that he pays zero attention to solid bedding. His usual response to solid beds is how coyotes attack a plowed field shortly after it's tilled to catch the rodents turned up and that's the most unstable footing you could imagine. With the fur market how it is this year I plan to increase my speed even more, dig a smaller trap bed, and pay no attention to solid bedding. I'm curious to see how it plays out. Gives me something to look forward to.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924528
07/08/20 11:43 PM
07/08/20 11:43 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Wade I use tight deep bed tap in sides done pretty simple and fast.
Unfortunately wax dirt start to finish 16inch of snow 2 nov. Day I started 2 yrs ago. Not fun lol

Kenneth schoening
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: WadeRyan] #6924556
07/09/20 01:34 AM
07/09/20 01:34 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Red, why you have to post those coyotes with fur?! Makes some of mine look like those shaved dogs that look like lions. Walleye I agree that is probably scent control. I watch the guys switching gloves and wonder how much longer their scent hangs around while they fumble around. I make plenty of first night catches. Enough that I have really lost interest in anything other than speed. When Phil Brown was still posting his videos a number of years back I was always amazed how fast he dropped in a set and how simple it was. I've tried to re-create his video a number of times in my head.

I have been focused on a solid bed at times for the fact that if we don't have a solid bed the coons seem to really like to dig at our traps. Interestingly, I've been reading from that guy that catches hundreds in a few weeks over the last couple years that he pays zero attention to solid bedding. His usual response to solid beds is how coyotes attack a plowed field shortly after it's tilled to catch the rodents turned up and that's the most unstable footing you could imagine. With the fur market how it is this year I plan to increase my speed even more, dig a smaller trap bed, and pay no attention to solid bedding. I'm curious to see how it plays out. Gives me something to look forward to.

I know who your talking about and the guy does bag and tag them but the pure idea of not bedding a trap drives me nuts lol

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924599
07/09/20 06:23 AM
07/09/20 06:23 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I hear you Wolfdog. I've always bedded traps tight to the point I've even power bedded. I figure I can't lose anything by trying. With prices the way they are I'm not going to break any records.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924653
07/09/20 08:09 AM
07/09/20 08:09 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
There is definitely a trade off between time spent bedding and too much time at the set. I opt for speed and moderate attention to bedding.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924794
07/09/20 11:02 AM
07/09/20 11:02 AM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
Good thread here with a lot of information. On the video side I recently watched Payne and Masterson High plains Coyote and picked up a few things from it I will share here. The way Payne beds a loose jaw trap is different than me for sure. With the area I am in so similar to his and Suagr style sand very prominent to my sets I will give his method a try for sure. Kind of hard to explain but he kicks the loose jaw up and beds everything and then pressures the loose jaw into the bed and then overbeds that. Kinda making sure there is no free play area under that loose jaw. Just subtly different.

The second thing i learned and will try is the trench set they use in the video. They make the trench curved on the bottom to help direct the foot more to the exact center. Very subtle as well but seems quite logical on how htey do it.

I am not a big dvd guy. Actually this is the first Coyote dvd i have ever bought. but for my terrain and area it did click a lot of buttons for information. I am definetly high plains style trapping here.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924851
07/09/20 11:58 AM
07/09/20 11:58 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
I think where the time comes in from bedding a trap (is if you dig a big bed) I prefer smaller than trap and deep ,then check see if size hole fits trap if not beat sides with hammer then chain bottom then wax dirt over, cup it out place trap tap sides in , cover trap ,wax dirt, blend set on my way.
Packing a set or typical bedding of a trap with wax dirt is in my experience, debatable.
By making bed only the size of trap everything that is around trap is natural hard ground , so when animal step where trap is it goes off.

Last edited by red mt; 07/09/20 12:00 PM.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924918
07/09/20 12:56 PM
07/09/20 12:56 PM
NNY
080808 Online content
trapper
080808  Online Content
trapper

NNY
I like Zagman method of bedding. I go with 4 lbs of pan tension and liberally pound the jaws with the hammer. Have found the smaller the trap bed the better. It helps to use same trap. After awhile it’s bang band move on. Each to their own.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Yes sir] #6924941
07/09/20 01:21 PM
07/09/20 01:21 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Yes sir
other than my dirt holes most people would have a hard time seeing or finding my coyote sets. On my dirt holes you wouldn't know were my trap is by looking at it with the exception of my step downs. And my dirtholes most people couldn't tell if they were man made or natural.

How many natural looking dirt holes have you ever found In nature. I bet I could spend 2 weeks looking for a animal made dirt hole that resembled a man made dirt hole and wouldn't find one. Just saying.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6924948
07/09/20 01:28 PM
07/09/20 01:28 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Actually I don't think it's human scent we should be controlling. It's weather they perceive you as a threat or not.. Seems I get more responses when I'm relaxed and not stressed and confident that its not if I'll catch but when. The last thing I say when a set is completed is That'll work! When the population is 2 per mile things change a bit.

Nice yote Red, cool location... wink

Last edited by trappergbus; 07/09/20 01:31 PM.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6924971
07/09/20 01:40 PM
07/09/20 01:40 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by The Beav
Originally Posted by Yes sir

How many natural looking dirt holes have you ever found In nature. I bet I could spend 2 weeks looking for a animal made dirt hole that resembled a man made dirt hole and wouldn't find one. Just saying.

I consider every natural hole I find in nature natural looking. As far as you not being able to finding an animal made dirt hole looking like a man made dirt hole i don't know what to till u. I prefer to copy the animal made ones than to have them copy mine.

Last edited by Yes sir; 07/09/20 01:41 PM.
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925090
07/09/20 03:25 PM
07/09/20 03:25 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
No one has mentioned about whether they just bed on sign in one area or blanket an entire property. For those of us with not a lot of coyotes (manager saw one or two on a camera a few weeks ago) and very few tracks, I’ll cover the entire property with traps at every road/intersection or if I find a track. I have only trapped one piece of property that actually had a “predator” trail and caught two right off the bat.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: WadeRyan] #6925129
07/09/20 04:05 PM
07/09/20 04:05 PM
Iowa
K
KJD357 Offline
trapper
KJD357  Offline
trapper
K

Iowa

Where did Phil post his videos at? And I’d assume you’re talking about bobw

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wanna Be] #6925145
07/09/20 04:31 PM
07/09/20 04:31 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
No one has mentioned about whether they just bed on sign in one area or blanket an entire property. For those of us with not a lot of coyotes (manager saw one or two on a camera a few weeks ago) and very few tracks, I’ll cover the entire property with traps at every road/intersection or if I find a track. I have only trapped one piece of property that actually had a “predator” trail and caught two right off the bat.

Wanna be ,,,no sign no trap in my post I guess I assumed i do not believe in carpet bombing . Later in the year for a example when i see a pair i set 2 traps or 2 sets nothing more,,,every property has one place that pair or even a strange coyote or 2 visit everytime they pass thru. That's the location and every property that has coyotes has that location.
This will save time and effort no sense setting 10 traps all over too catch those 2 coyotes. This leave's you more traps more time to cover more ground.
Tracks or turds will be there if you are on location if the grass is to thick might be the only disclaimer.
This has been my experience on my line .
But if a person has did better setting a bunch traps because of lack of permission had one or 2 or 3 places. Cover lots of ground on key location will catch a lot of coyotes. Imo.

Kenneth schoening
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91