No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Food grade dye barrel #6924604
07/09/20 06:45 AM
07/09/20 06:45 AM
Ohio
B
BuckeyeYote Offline OP
trapper
BuckeyeYote  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ohio
All,

I bought a 55 gallon food grade drum, after opening it it appears to have a lining/coating on the inside.

What needs done to “season” this barrel for use?

I did boil/dye some dirty traps in it once already , it did not have any affect on the inside.
*The traps will get treated again before season, I needed to clean them up to do some welding/modifications.

Re: Food grade dye barrel [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6924630
07/09/20 07:35 AM
07/09/20 07:35 AM
SE MN
2cylinder Offline
trapper
2cylinder  Offline
trapper

SE MN
If you're worried about it... try starting a fire and sprinkle some gas in it everyonce in a while

Rebuilding john deere and international/farmall carburetors
Re: Food grade dye barrel [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6924647
07/09/20 08:02 AM
07/09/20 08:02 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Eventually that inside coating of paint will wear off. I have had several metal barrels during my years with the food grade coating on the inside. Sooner or later the expanding and contracting of the metal while boiling will cause the coating to blister and fall to the bottom of the barrel. Never had an issue with it but if it bothers you and you have a heated area in a building just add your dye and throw in your rustiest traps when you are done for the year. Leave them for at least 3-4 months and check on them occasionally. They will dye without heat at a much much slower pace and if using the brown powdered dye will clean to bare metal if left longer (it is tannic acid). The heat is merely a catalysis to accelerate the chem process. Those barrels with the coating have lasted me a lot longer than a regular metal barrel w/o it so it won't hurt your process if you want the atmosphere of dyeing and waxing traps with a fire on a cool fall day................................ the mike

Re: Food grade dye barrel [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6924747
07/09/20 09:59 AM
07/09/20 09:59 AM
Ohio
B
BuckeyeYote Offline OP
trapper
BuckeyeYote  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ohio
So just to clarify the “coating” will not add any foreign odor to my traps/ dye process ?

Re: Food grade dye barrel [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6925006
07/09/20 02:12 PM
07/09/20 02:12 PM
Ohio
B
BuckeyeYote Offline OP
trapper
BuckeyeYote  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ohio
Anyone with insight to offer?

I’ve used a galvanized feed tub for about 5-6 years with good results , but I have too many canine traps now and need something bigger to accommodate those numbers.

All feed back is welcome.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread