Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925159
07/09/20 05:00 PM
07/09/20 05:00 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Has anyone mentioned pre baiting? Pouring fryer oil down a hole?

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925168
07/09/20 05:12 PM
07/09/20 05:12 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
One thing i have learned the hard way last year is in this country you need to understand the wind. I got to think about it at every set. the good dudes it is second nature but i still gotta think about it. It changes a lot here literally blows every direction but you can think prevailing and then knowing a storm is on its way you know what the wind direction will be then you set for that to carry your lure/bait scent where you want it not away from the action.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925176
07/09/20 05:21 PM
07/09/20 05:21 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
080808 I am intrigued by the pre-baiting idea. Was curious myself. I have a new to me line setup for this coming year. It is about 14 miles or so long and was thinking about dropping like 100 dirt holes on it and pre baiting and seeing what kind of action i get on it. then once season rolls around setting on the areas that are getting action. That is the thought anyways.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: trappergbus] #6925206
07/09/20 05:47 PM
07/09/20 05:47 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by trappergbus
Actually I don't think it's human scent we should be controlling. It's weather they perceive you as a threat or not.. Seems I get more responses when I'm relaxed and not stressed and confident that its not if I'll catch but when. The last thing I say when a set is completed is That'll work! When the population is 2 per mile things change a bit.

Nice yote Red, cool location... wink

There is a lot to that too. I can recall a number of dogs I have caught like that.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: 080808] #6925223
07/09/20 06:00 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by 080808

Fryer oil mixed with bacon grease is a great way to create a hot spot. Set the travel corridors and as close as 6 feet from the blown out hole with something to pee on. But it all needs to be on location not just anywhere.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: thedude055] #6925225
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by thedude055
080808 I am intrigued by the pre-baiting idea. Was curious myself. I have a new to me line setup for this coming year. It is about 14 miles or so long and was thinking about dropping like 100 dirt holes on it and pre baiting and seeing what kind of action i get on it. then once season rolls around setting on the areas that are getting action. That is the thought anyways.

Ive do some . Not really set out to do it but ive put a trap in front of a test hole that has been recently worked. Pretty fast action. I think most coyotes urinate on a "set" they've worked plus they leave other scent as they try to get your goodies and the real natural odor is what our sets are missing. Plus I think the are much less cautious working a set they have previously worked. I like to set within a week or less after prebaiting that way they are still actively visiting the set. A really good eatable bait shines in this situation.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925234
07/09/20 06:06 PM
07/09/20 06:06 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Every situation calls for deferent set ups. Here In the mid west we are dealing with a ton of non targets and If those 2 traps are full of grinners and skunks your not going to catch those coyotes.
The trouble with pre baiting It also brings In all the local non targets and their going to be the majority of your catches. Know If you do It In the dead of winter that makes a big difference.

Last edited by The Beav; 07/09/20 06:11 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6925240
07/09/20 06:11 PM
07/09/20 06:11 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by The Beav
Every situation calls for deferent set ups. Here In the mid west we are dealing with a ton of non targets and If those 2 traps are full of grinners and skunks your not going to catch those coyotes.

Valid point. Here im fortunate to be able to just stay away from the creeks and timber and my coons, skunks, possums and deer problems mostly go away. Though I'm happy to catch the skunks.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925411
07/09/20 09:20 PM
07/09/20 09:20 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I like Flat Sets . About 90% of my coyote contract jobs in the summer get some sort or flat set or post set. I like MB -550 traps . As far as books . I like the old hard to find ones. James Mast ,Bill Nelson , Stanley Young, Wiley Carroll, Del Cramer, John Ehn, James Lucero and so on. Anything made before 1970s is a book I want to read. Ogorman's book being the exception

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925415
07/09/20 09:23 PM
07/09/20 09:23 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I have so many pictures of coyotes on my phone, I have erased all the set picks I have will be glad to post some up around sunday or so. I am on a Non discloser high fence job right now, so I will post some pics latter

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Yes sir] #6925597
07/10/20 12:18 AM
07/10/20 12:18 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by thedude055

Ive do some . Not really set out to do it but ive put a trap in front of a test hole that has been recently worked. Pretty fast action. I think most coyotes urinate on a "set" they've worked plus they leave other scent as they try to get your goodies and the real natural odor is what our sets are missing. Plus I think the are much less cautious working a set they have previously worked. I like to set within a week or less after prebaiting that way they are still actively visiting the set. A really good eatable bait shines in this situation.

I've done the same but usually end up with nothing once I set a trap on the test hole. This tells me they know somethings different and seem to avoid it even when I take the necessary steps to avoid this. Seems I have better luck skipping the test set and just making a normal set right off. I don't really understand it but that's just how it is for me.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: 080808] #6925609
07/10/20 12:27 AM
07/10/20 12:27 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by 080808

I have used the fryer oil by the bucket in the past. They will really dig for it and it will show you easily what there are for coyotes on a property. If I was going to try to really pre-bait coyotes I'd want something with more substance. Roadkill deer, beef remains etc. Every coon, skunk, and possum will also be on the fryer grease. It's attractive to everything. I don't think the oil itself is enough attraction to keep coyotes coming back regularly. Raccoons maybe. They want something they can eat not just lick.

Rather than pre-bait coyotes here I just look for the nearest hog unit or cattle operation. They have to call them "compost" piles here but it's just dead animals. I'll have to look if I still have the pic but I found one last year that had tracks over tracks both directions to and from the hog unit "compost" pile. They visit them nightly when I've put up cameras. Same goes for dairies or feedlots. They might not be coming to kill cattle but they know there are cattle there and are attracted to those lots. I had one heifer farm that I was sure was covered with deer tracks coming over the draw you could see the trail with a blind eye at 300 yards. Upon further inspection it was coyote after coyote.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 07/10/20 12:39 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: KJD357] #6925614
07/10/20 12:32 AM
07/10/20 12:32 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by KJD357
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Red, why you have to post those coyotes with fur?! Makes some of mine look like those shaved dogs that look like lions. Walleye I agree that is probably scent control. I watch the guys switching gloves and wonder how much longer their scent hangs around while they fumble around. I make plenty of first night catches. Enough that I have really lost interest in anything other than speed. When Phil Brown was still posting his videos a number of years back I was always amazed how fast he dropped in a set and how simple it was. I've tried to re-create his video a number of times in my head.

I have been focused on a solid bed at times for the fact that if we don't have a solid bed the coons seem to really like to dig at our traps. Interestingly, I've been reading from that guy that catches hundreds in a few weeks over the last couple years that he pays zero attention to solid bedding. His usual response to solid beds is how coyotes attack a plowed field shortly after it's tilled to catch the rodents turned up and that's the most unstable footing you could imagine. With the fur market how it is this year I plan to increase my speed even more, dig a smaller trap bed, and pay no attention to solid bedding. I'm curious to see how it plays out. Gives me something to look forward to.

Where did Phil post his videos at? And I’d assume you’re talking about bobw

Phil would post a video here and there from photo-bucket I believe on here and other places. It's been a number of years since I saw him post any. He's said he has hours and hours of home made video/pictures he just took on his line. The one that kept coming up was a dirthole he made in a minute or two. Nothing fancy just a dirthole, a couple handfuls of peat, throw the trap in, and on he went. Yes I'm talking about Bob.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925648
07/10/20 05:05 AM
07/10/20 05:05 AM
Iowa
K
KJD357 Offline
trapper
KJD357  Offline
trapper
K

Iowa
It’d be awesome to see Phil in action, I just read the archives on here for quite a few years before I joined, so I’ve never seen anything that he’s posted. Like you say tho, it’d be cool to see how fast and efficient a guy can be.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: KJD357] #6925650
07/10/20 05:22 AM
07/10/20 05:22 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by KJD357
It’d be awesome to see Phil in action, I just read the archives on here for quite a few years before I joined, so I’ve never seen anything that he’s posted. Like you say tho, it’d be cool to see how fast and efficient a guy can be.

Yes my original account on here was around 2006...there was a crash on trapperman sometime there and I lurked again until 2012. I'm not even sure when Phil was still posting I'm sure he's reading this. Maybe he will dig some of those old vids out. I remember seeing a couple of him bouncing in his truck to caught fox in sets as well as the one dirthole set on video. His pictures/videos seemed to stop when people went crazy posting his large catch pictures. Someone on here had that dirthole video saved and would post it from time to time. It wasn't Phil that was reposting it.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 07/10/20 05:37 AM.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: steeltraps] #6925722
07/10/20 07:27 AM
07/10/20 07:27 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted by steeltraps
I like Flat Sets . About 90% of my coyote contract jobs in the summer get some sort or flat set or post set. I like MB -550 traps . As far as books . I like the old hard to find ones. James Mast ,Bill Nelson , Stanley Young, Wiley Carroll, Del Cramer, John Ehn, James Lucero and so on. Anything made before 1970s is a book I want to read. Ogorman's book being the exception

Same here on the books. I'd throw June and Locklear in there also

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: the Blak Spot] #6925778
07/10/20 08:45 AM
07/10/20 08:45 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Black Spot. Forgot about reading Mark June's book = it was good. I also took lessons frorm Clint Locklear. When he lived in Dunlap Tn. Bout 1 hr and 20 mins from me

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925805
07/10/20 09:11 AM
07/10/20 09:11 AM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline
trapper
btomlin  Offline
trapper

SC Iowa
You decide the location is ideal for 3 sets, let's say.

1. What set types are you going to plug in? Efficiency would say 3 identical due to repetition. My logic is 3 different, DH, Flat, Pipe, etc so I feel it takes me longer to set area and fewer sets go in during a day.

2. If all dirt holes, are you going to a. make all 3 identical with same bait/lure/urine setup b. make 3 identical with different bait, lure, urine. c. make 3 variations with same bait/lure/urine or d. Make 3 variations with different bait/lure/urine

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6925836
07/10/20 09:32 AM
07/10/20 09:32 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I use to regularly make 3 sets on a location but only once in awhile catch to critters and have never caught 3 at one check. So know I only use two sets and I'm getting were ill sometimes space them out a hundred or 2 yards apart. Now if I was on a dead pile or carcass ill go with 3 plus sets. Always a dirt hole of some variation. I really like flat sets put the micro location has to be there for one. Rode with a guy that averages double digit catches on coyotes a day and it 95% dirt holes. Same set, same scents at everyone.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6926289
07/10/20 07:13 PM
07/10/20 07:13 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Larson, we might be talking about the same guy, but the best coyote trapper I ever trapped next to was a dirt hole man. He insisted that if you chucked some bait down a hole, that sooner or later a coyote would stick his nose in there. He pulled into my driveway one afternoon with 17 but of course he was peaved because I had caught a couple really nice cats right on top of him but only one coyote.

Sometimes, when I wanted to get called bad names, I would thank him for catching all those stinky coyotes so they didn't plug up my cat sets LOL.

Working next to him only strengthened my favoring flat sets- especially with cow bones or a urine post out in middle of nowhere. A corner post with a trail right up against it would be an example of a set I have a lot of confidence in.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91