No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Food plots #6925283
07/09/20 06:55 PM
07/09/20 06:55 PM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline OP
trapper
Tommie  Offline OP
trapper
T

middle tennessee
How many put out fall plots ? Last year we tried turnips they never touched them . The area I live in is full of crops so in the fall it’s all planted in winter wheat , is there anything that I could plant that might be better that would draw the does in .

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925314
07/09/20 07:20 PM
07/09/20 07:20 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
In kansas they love wheat. I also planted some turnips that they wouldnt touch. I have seen turnip patches that they had destroyed.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925380
07/09/20 08:18 PM
07/09/20 08:18 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
I have tried everything, corn, gets detroyed by coon and deer before winter gets here, also does nothing for them as it grows. Tried turnips and I ate way more than the deer and they don't eat the greens as they grow. Wheat and oats and even sorgum create so much trash in the food plot that it's a problem to replant in the spring. I no-till plant so trash from last years plot is an issue. I have settled on beans!

I burn down the plots in the spring with a mix of 2-4-D and round-up a couple weeks before I plant. Then I no-till drill them in and right before they canopy I spray them with round-up again to kill any grass and weeds and they will be clean and grow well. Until they get mowed off by the herds of deer feeding in them as they grow. They are going crazy right now eating them. Then in winter when food is more scarce the deer wrap their tongues around the base of the stalk and lift their heads and strip off a mouthfull of beans.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925397
07/09/20 08:44 PM
07/09/20 08:44 PM
IA
O
ozark trapper ia Offline
trapper
ozark trapper ia  Offline
trapper
O

IA
The deer on my place go crazy for daikon radish. They eat turnips but not near as much. Winter rye and winter peas really impressed me last year, they never got over 4-5 inches tall. They drew deer in better than anything I have ever planted. Since you have wheat all around I would give winter rye a shot.

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925402
07/09/20 09:03 PM
07/09/20 09:03 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
Alfalfa

Nevada bound
Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925445
07/09/20 09:59 PM
07/09/20 09:59 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
It you mean " fall plot" as in planting it late, I'd only suggest ceriall grain. Oats,rye or winter wheat.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925478
07/09/20 10:29 PM
07/09/20 10:29 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
We plant clovers in August
Sounds like you would be wise to invest in the Southern Food Plot Manual. The best $20 you can spend to improve your property.
Google /Amazon is your friend.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925623
07/10/20 01:12 AM
07/10/20 01:12 AM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
sometimes you gotta plant turnips a year or two for the deer to figure them out, no they wont eat the greens as they're growing, they have to have a good freeze or two to raise the sugar content in them, that's why I plant in conjunction with daikon radishes that they will eat before a frost/freeze. winter wheat works well too and is cheap and easily grown, I don't know why you would ever plant wheat in the spring when you could plant soybeans, much more tonnage of forage and higher protein content(leaves) during spring/summer growing season then grain in the colder months, making it a two season plot with one plant. if your planting corn in small plots in or around timber and have a lot of coons forget it. corn is expensive and requires a lot of fertilizer too. im not personally a fan of clover, yes ive planted it and yes deer will eat it readily. but I believe soybeans are a better choice for reasons stated above. something else about the radishes and turnips is they put a lot of organic material back in the soil and break up hard pan which lets water get deeper into your soil. Tommie you said your area is "full"of crops and that may be but remember those will be harvested in the fall. you want variety of things for them. In my opinion soybeans are THE best plot if you can plant them. ive tried different varieties with different levels of success. ive really liked the eagle brand beans, yes they're more expensive but the results have been good. they are a forage bean therefore they don't put on as many pods as production beans but they will take a lot of browse pressure. this year im trying a little experiment, im planting with a 6 row JD 7000 planter and put eagle beans in 3 hoppers and production beans in the other 3 so ill have more pod production for the cold months and the eagles for more summer forage. also the eagles stay green a lot longer, sometimes till first frost, whereas you production beans usually start yellowing end of august. Another little trick is when beans yellow and drop their leaves in late august/September you can go broadcast winter wheat over that plot which will give you greens and grain. whatever you decide remember this, whoever has the food, has the deer. especially late season

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925753
07/10/20 08:02 AM
07/10/20 08:02 AM
TN
L
lcd Offline
trapper
lcd  Offline
trapper
L

TN
I've tried a lot of food plots here in Middle Tennessee, and have found wheat or oats to be about as good as any. I also put a small amount of clover in with the mix as it will come up earlier as a usual thing. It is also very cheap for those of us that don't have the best in farm equipment the ease of planting is also a factor. Turnips are very hard to get the PH in the soil correct, but if it is right the deer will really tear them up. But more trouble than they are worth. Beans would be great, but you must have a big enough plot so they can't eat them all as soon as they come up, or have a fence around the plot until the beans get a good start. All this adds a lot of work and money to the project. Also the wheat or oats will feed deer all winter and in the spring. I leave mine standing until the seed pod hardens in the early summer and the deer will really strip the seed pods. Also a good place for small turkeys to bug. I plant in mid to late September, but watch for a rain and then plant just before it comes. We can get very hot and dry here in the early fall and it will defeat your food plots completely.

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925762
07/10/20 08:28 AM
07/10/20 08:28 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
If you're in an area of plentiful food supply, Good luck. It wasn't worth the effort for me in the end.

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925766
07/10/20 08:34 AM
07/10/20 08:34 AM
SE MN
2cylinder Offline
trapper
2cylinder  Offline
trapper

SE MN
Problem with turnips and radishes and stuff if you need a frost to turn them sugary and then the deer will eat them up. I would recommend planting peas or oats. Problem with alfalfa is it takes a good year to establish growth so if you planted that it wouldn't work well for this fall.

Rebuilding john deere and international/farmall carburetors
Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925787
07/10/20 08:53 AM
07/10/20 08:53 AM
Western Michigan
Animals Only Offline
trapper
Animals Only  Offline
trapper

Western Michigan
I have a quarter acre soy bean plot in front of the house. Most years it has done good. The deer browse them lightly during the summer and devouer the beans as soon as they dry. They eat the dead leaves throughout the winter. This year a plague of woodchucks moved in. They decimated half of it. I have replanted that half and they are decimating that. Taken about 16 Chuck's off it so far. Hoping I got the last one. I have a two acre plot out back. Where I cleared / thinned the woods. Planted many new forbs but the deer never touched them. I'm in ag land and they have too much to choose from that is familiar to them. Best crop out there was clover but the native grasses keep taking over. The last couple years I have limed and fertilized the native grasses and the deer love it. I do cut it twice a year. The trees in the plot and brush on the edges are doing great. The bucks make scrapes all over. Some have now become primary scraps that they use all year. I also quit putting out trail cams a few years ago and have seen a steady increase in buck activity.

Last edited by Animals Only; 07/10/20 08:55 AM.

AKA: Rusty Shackleford
Re: Food plots [Re: bucksnbears] #6925797
07/10/20 09:03 AM
07/10/20 09:03 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
It you mean " fall plot" as in planting it late, I'd only suggest ceriall grain. Oats,rye or winter wheat.

This for fall

Wiick growing annual ...greens up when all else is drying up

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925831
07/10/20 09:29 AM
07/10/20 09:29 AM
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
Originally Posted by Tommie
How many put out fall plots ? Last year we tried turnips they never touched them . The area I live in is full of crops so in the fall it’s all planted in winter wheat , is there anything that I could plant that might be better that would draw the does in .

It took the deer around here a few years to figure them out. I pulled some and cut them up to help it along. Once they learned them....watch out. Looks like hogs went through.

Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6925868
07/10/20 10:35 AM
07/10/20 10:35 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
I do winter rye with red clover it been my goto for our deer plots. I did add some radish's to the mix last year about 5lbs to a bag of rye seen this on mossy oak game keepers. Even though the radish itself didn't get very big the tops got about a foot tall and the deer mowed them off these were planted in early September.
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Food plots [Re: Tommie] #6926596
07/10/20 10:49 PM
07/10/20 10:49 PM
Nashville, TN
F
Farm Manager Offline
trapper
Farm Manager  Offline
trapper
F

Nashville, TN
I have been food plotting for 30 yrs plus in Middle TN and what I have noticed is that if there is a good acorn crop your plots will not get much use. On the other hand if there's a mast failure, anything that will stay green through the fall and winter will get hammered. I recommend and use a mix of equal parts oats, wheat, and cereal rye. To that mix I might add some eco-till radishes (TN Farmer's CO-OP brand of daikon), maybe some rape, Crimson clover, Austrian winter peas. There's no set recipe. Hunting pressure will often dictate how much daytime use the plots receive along with weather conditions. I plant many acres of this basic mix and am well pleased with it. It does well on marginal soils with out a lot of amendments. Try to get it in the ground between August 15 and September 15 and with some rain in the forecast. You can plant on into November but it's better early.

Re: Food plots [Re: Farm Manager] #6926604
07/10/20 10:58 PM
07/10/20 10:58 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Farm Manager
I have been food plotting for 30 yrs plus in Middle TN and what I have noticed is that if there is a good acorn crop your plots will not get much use. On the other hand if there's a mast failure, anything that will stay green through the fall and winter will get hammered. I recommend and use a mix of equal parts oats, wheat, and cereal rye. To that mix I might add some eco-till radishes (TN Farmer's CO-OP brand of daikon), maybe some rape, Crimson clover, Austrian winter peas. There's no set recipe. Hunting pressure will often dictate how much daytime use the plots receive along with weather conditions. I plant many acres of this basic mix and am well pleased with it. It does well on marginal soils with out a lot of amendments. Try to get it in the ground between August 15 and September 15 and with some rain in the forecast. You can plant on into November but it's better early.

Same down here^^^

Heavy acorn years and the deer don't even eat corn at feeders.

I use the same base cereal grain mix in fall. Rye, wheat, oats. Crimson clover does good here in these acidic soils.

Usually have to wait until late Sept/early Oct to plant when high temps cool into the 60s. Usually still in 90s into Sept here....thats too rough on the cereal grains.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 07/10/20 11:01 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread