No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Steer hide - fleshing #6924944
07/09/20 01:23 PM
07/09/20 01:23 PM
Monroe City, IN
T
Toby Like Offline OP
trapper
Toby Like  Offline OP
trapper
T

Monroe City, IN
A guy down the road is wanting me to flesh and salt a steer hide. It was his daughters 4H animal from a year ago and they are wanting to have the hide tanned. While I have done lots of deer and a few elk through the taxidermy shop, a steer is a new one for me. There are a few questions I would like some help with:

How long will it take the hide to thaw? (will be in a 74 degree room)

For a guy who is pretty quick at fleshing, about how long will it take to work through a whole steer?

I've never salted an animal this size, How long will it take to get the moisture out of it where I can safely get it boxed up and shipped?

And, what would the price range be to handle this project? I was thinking $250 plus tanning and shipping fees.

Toby Like
Nuisance Animal Solutions
Summitt Hill Taxidermy
Re: Steer hide - fleshing [Re: Toby Like] #6924981
07/09/20 01:51 PM
07/09/20 01:51 PM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Offline
trapper
chas3457  Offline
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
Depends on who did the skinning.

If it was done commercially, it was likely skinned with an 'air knife' and will have very little to no fat left on it.

If it was a 'DIY' project, it could be a nightmare. (meat, fat, knife cuts)

$250 for fleshing and salting seems pretty steep in the first instance. The second would be a crap shoot, but still more than I would be comfortable charging.

I suppose what ever the market will bear, Good luck

Charlie

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

NRA Life Member ~ GOA Member ~ NFOA Member ~ UNMLA Member
Re: Steer hide - fleshing [Re: Toby Like] #6925008
07/09/20 02:13 PM
07/09/20 02:13 PM
Llano, Texas, USA
H
Hills of Texas Offline
trapper
Hills of Texas  Offline
trapper
H

Llano, Texas, USA
It’s probably more regional on pricing. I just had two show steer hides tanned and the price came out to about 850 each, fleshed and tanned. It’s a big messy, smelly job. I would under sell it if it were me.

Re: Steer hide - fleshing [Re: Toby Like] #6926194
07/10/20 05:44 PM
07/10/20 05:44 PM
Monroe City, IN
T
Toby Like Offline OP
trapper
Toby Like  Offline OP
trapper
T

Monroe City, IN
Thanks for the feedback

Toby Like
Nuisance Animal Solutions
Summitt Hill Taxidermy
Re: Steer hide - fleshing [Re: Toby Like] #6926273
07/10/20 06:57 PM
07/10/20 06:57 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
I have done two. Wouldnt do another for less than$200. I did them with a Dakota flashing wheel. It took probably 3 hrs to do one. A beam and flashing knife would probably work better. I forget how long they took to dry.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Steer hide - fleshing [Re: Toby Like] #6926430
07/10/20 08:35 PM
07/10/20 08:35 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Toby, I have done two. The first was on a flat table with a beaver knife. Don't do it that way. The second was on a beam, and took about three hours, but like Charlie mentioned, was skinned very roughly. He had salted it already, which in my opinion helps, cause the skin is dryer that way. I did not shave it very much, as the tanners are set up to do that better than I. The first one got too dry before we tried to fold it, and was a nightmare to get in a package. The last one, from this winter, we let dry overnight, then started folding it into as tight of package as we could get it in, and was much cheaper to ship that way. I think we have it figured out now, but they can be a learning experience! It took about a week to be dry enough to ship, dryer is lighter, les shipping cost!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread