No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
New bear hunting video #6924977
07/09/20 01:44 PM
07/09/20 01:44 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
For those of you interested I just uploaded a new one today.

Re: New bear hunting video [Re: BernieB.] #6925835
07/10/20 09:31 AM
07/10/20 09:31 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Great info good luck this season!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: New bear hunting video [Re: BernieB.] #6927568
07/11/20 10:38 PM
07/11/20 10:38 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Bernie, I love your passion for bear, really i do.
But there is ONE thing I've learned over the years. Most older big bear are shot by happenstance, not doing things " "right"
Any bear over 2 years old on heavily hunted public ground has ( been there,seen, n smelt that.

No Amount of extra work is gonna get an older bear in during shooting hours .
Been doing this for 35 years and have tried EVERY trick in the book.
The vast majority of older( not always) the biggest, have been taken well away from the bait by being in the right place, right time.

Bear outfitters always seem to think they have big old bear figgered out.( Myself included).

I hunt the area in NW MN where the bush meets the AG land. Been in on a few hundreds of bear kills.
VERY few old bear are taken over a bait!!!!
I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors

cool
And, I can perhaps help you find some off- the wall great spots.
I'm about done with bear so won't mind sharing a few things grin

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: New bear hunting video [Re: BernieB.] #6927604
07/11/20 11:26 PM
07/11/20 11:26 PM
Wisconsin
D
Dirk Offline
trapper
Dirk  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
Closer to the metro, more bear baiters

Good high school friend of mine guides in 24 and has for over 15 years and has very little competition on public land

Re: New bear hunting video [Re: bucksnbears] #6928687
07/13/20 12:15 PM
07/13/20 12:15 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
But there is ONE thing I've learned over the years. Most older big bear are shot by happenstance, not doing things " "right"
Any bear over 2 years old on heavily hunted public ground has ( been there,seen, n smelt that.

The vast majority of older( not always) the biggest, have been taken well away from the bait by being in the right place, right time.

Bear outfitters always seem to think they have big old bear figgered out.( Myself included).

I hunt the area in NW MN where the bush meets the AG land. Been in on a few hundreds of bear kills.

cool

I agree with most of what you have said, although I think a lot of people "try every trick in the book" which in my opinion needs a paradigm switch. Lots of people try lots of things to get big mature males to come in during legal shooting hours, but the real key is to learn to play the game by their rules instead of trying to get them to conform to our way of doing it. I really don't try to figure out the older bears, I just try to create an environment where they feel secure and comfortable being present during daylight. I'm still trying to let them teach me, and probably always will be. One thing I know for sure is that big bears do not have to play by our rules. And some just become basically unkillable by legal means. Thanks for your input, it sounds like a campfire conversation with you would be an interesting deal for both of us. And yeah, off-the-wall great spots sounds awesome.

Re: New bear hunting video [Re: bucksnbears] #6928909
07/13/20 06:01 PM
07/13/20 06:01 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline OP
trapper
BernieB.  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

cool

Maybe what I ought to do is come up hunt the no-quota in your area. Always fun to get to know others from this site. Leave me a PM if you're interested in talking about that.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread