No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930262
07/15/20 12:13 AM
07/15/20 12:13 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
A better comparison for covid is pertussis.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930278
07/15/20 12:42 AM
07/15/20 12:42 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
From the start I’ve seen people ostracized for comparing Covid to Influenza. Now that there’s been some time to see exactly how it pans out I find the numbers coming out of states interesting. There’s been times on here I’ve felt my rear was to the flames for calling it like I saw it from first hand knowledge. Now the numbers are starting to show it.

[Linked Image]

This appears to prove the initial concern. That it is very contagious and spreads rapidly which could overwhelm medical infrastructure.

32k flu annually, 250k covid in 4 months.

The narrative has changed in the last few months from flattening the curve to waiting for a vaccine.

Last edited by Pike River; 07/15/20 12:43 AM.
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930302
07/15/20 01:31 AM
07/15/20 01:31 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Pike River:

"This appears to prove the initial concern. That it is very contagious and spreads rapidly which could overwhelm medical infrastructure.

The narrative has changed in the last few months from flattening the curve to waiting for a vaccine."

Pike, I hate to always be the bearer of bad news but if you're waiting for a vaccine or a cure...you'll be waiting a long time. How many years have we had an Influenza vaccine and they are still 60-70% at best. We have no cure for HIV how many years has it been around? The fact of the matter is people are going to die unfortunately but closing everything is not a realistic solution.

Also when you're saying 250k of Covid in four months you must look at the number tested....we've tested over 2.5 million people in Texas to get that number (1 in every 10 tested was positive). As opposed to just under 200k tests for 31k positives on Influenza (1 in every 6 tested was positive). So using your own logic it appears Influenza is much more contagious. 10% of those tested for Covid came back positive and 17% tested for Influenza came back positive. I can spin the numbers any way you'd like.

I had an ER doctor look at me today and say what are we pre-testing all of these surgical people for? Do we test everyone before surgery for Influenza? We're testing people that have zero symptoms, zero complications, and no outward signs of Covid. We're testing people for Covid because they work in a building with someone that has Covid. The world has lost it's mind.

From a personal perspective in the last week I've seen a Covid-19 positive mom give birth to a child breast feed that child (mental picture that's not far from her face) for two days and the baby's Covid was negative at discharge. I've seen a 72 year old that was Covid positive have nothing more than throwing up two times for symptoms and was able to walk out to her car to go home. I had a pre-screening 7 year old child prior to a procedure come back positive and she had no outward symptoms, nor anyone in her immediate family. It's not as deadly or as contagious as they'd like you to believe. The vast majority of people with Covid-19 have little to no symptoms or complications. It's been shown time and time again. There's no overwhelming of medical infrastructure but quite the opposite.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 07/15/20 01:45 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930310
07/15/20 01:46 AM
07/15/20 01:46 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I never ever tested positive for the flu. Why would I bother? Of course 1 in every 6 tested positive they probably had flu symptoms and got tested. This is not a measure of the infection rate for the general public. There is a lot more random testing for corona.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: Dirt] #6930313
07/15/20 01:56 AM
07/15/20 01:56 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Dirt
I never ever tested positive for the flu. Why would I bother? Of course 1 in every 6 tested positive they probably had flu symptoms and got tested. This is not a measure of the infection rate for the general public. There is a lot more random testing for corona.

Very true and also as I pointed out why there's such a large number of Covid cases compared to Influenza cases.....I didn't say his logic was correct. I said by his logic influenza would be more contagious.

Random extensive testing is why you are seeing such a large number of Covid-19 positives. Not because it's some kind of a super bug.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 07/15/20 01:58 AM.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930352
07/15/20 06:17 AM
07/15/20 06:17 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I just saw the swat team blast their way in, and the federales dragging Leftlane out of his underground bunker!!!!!!
OMG! OMG!

LL was yelling "I don't want to be tested.... you're hurting my arm. I refuse because I'm an American! I know my rights!"
The big guy leading the swat'ers shoved LL into the dust and said, "You ain't got anymore rights Bubba. Now open up your nostrils cause we're a gonna test youuuuuuuu."

Donna and I quick - ducked back down behind a sago palm - when they put that big ol' swab up his nose!
We couldn't watch. The scene was too horrific. Like a coyote jerking out when you first pull up!

Hope he's ok. They drug him a long way.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930357
07/15/20 06:29 AM
07/15/20 06:29 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Mark...grin

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930368
07/15/20 06:54 AM
07/15/20 06:54 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Pike River:

"This appears to prove the initial concern. That it is very contagious and spreads rapidly which could overwhelm medical infrastructure.

The narrative has changed in the last few months from flattening the curve to waiting for a vaccine."

Pike, I hate to always be the bearer of bad news but if you're waiting for a vaccine or a cure...you'll be waiting a long time. How many years have we had an Influenza vaccine and they are still 60-70% at best. We have no cure for HIV how many years has it been around? The fact of the matter is people are going to die unfortunately but closing everything is not a realistic solution.

Also when you're saying 250k of Covid in four months you must look at the number tested....we've tested over 2.5 million people in Texas to get that number (1 in every 10 tested was positive). As opposed to just under 200k tests for 31k positives on Influenza (1 in every 6 tested was positive). So using your own logic it appears Influenza is much more contagious. 10% of those tested for Covid came back positive and 17% tested for Influenza came back positive. I can spin the numbers any way you'd like.

I had an ER doctor look at me today and say what are we pre-testing all of these surgical people for? Do we test everyone before surgery for Influenza? We're testing people that have zero symptoms, zero complications, and no outward signs of Covid. We're testing people for Covid because they work in a building with someone that has Covid. The world has lost it's mind.

From a personal perspective in the last week I've seen a Covid-19 positive mom give birth to a child breast feed that child (mental picture that's not far from her face) for two days and the baby's Covid was negative at discharge. I've seen a 72 year old that was Covid positive have nothing more than throwing up two times for symptoms and was able to walk out to her car to go home. I had a pre-screening 7 year old child prior to a procedure come back positive and she had no outward symptoms, nor anyone in her immediate family. It's not as deadly or as contagious as they'd like you to believe. The vast majority of people with Covid-19 have little to no symptoms or complications. It's been shown time and time again. There's no overwhelming of medical infrastructure but quite the opposite.

Didnt say I was waiting for a vaccine...
I said the narrative framed by the media has changed.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930372
07/15/20 07:01 AM
07/15/20 07:01 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
The narrative has changed because people have realized there is no curve to flatten. Thanks for the retraction.

This appears to prove the initial concern. That it is very contagious and spreads rapidly which could overwhelm medical infrastructure.
Seemed to go poof. There's no proof this is true. If anything Covid has been very underwhelming. I've ran a 1800 number off and on for the last three months.

Caller I just got not long ago,
"Hey man, someone at my work had Covid I have no symptoms but I am feeling fatigued today my work thought I should call you."

"Okay, so no symptoms other than you're tired, and someone in your work has had Covid? I'll schedule you for drive thru testing you're looking at 4-6 days for results. Thanks."

"Hey wait man, so does that mean I should not go to work?"

"I suppose if you think you have Covid you should probably stay home don't you think?"

"Well man, I just need to be able to tell my employer I can't come to work......think this will work?"

"Thanks. Goodbye."

Last edited by WadeRyan; 07/15/20 07:24 AM.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930388
07/15/20 07:32 AM
07/15/20 07:32 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
The narrative has changed because people have realized there is no curve to flatten. Thanks for the retraction.

Seemed to go poof. There's no proof this is true. If anything Covid has been very underwhelming. I've ran a 1800 number off and on for the last three months.

Caller I just got not long ago,
"Hey man, someone at my work had Covid I have no symptoms but I am feeling fatigued today my work thought I should call you."

"Okay, so no symptoms other than you're tired, and someone in your work has had Covid? I'll schedule you for drive thru testing you're looking at 4-6 days for results. Thanks."

"Hey wait man, so does that mean I should not go to work?"

"I suppose if you think you have Covid you should probably stay home don't you think?"

"Well man, I just need to be able to tell my employer I can't come to work......think this will work?"

"Thanks. Goodbye."

Because of the initial reaction the curve did flatten.....it worked. America did well. Thr prez didnt do a bad job. Eventually this thing became politicized by both sides unfortunately and now we have extremes. If we didnt do something to flatten the curve our infrastructure couldve easily been overwhelmed. Instead of 250k in TX over the course of 4 months it could've been 4 weeks. Because we flatten the curve people are not dying for lack of access but because of pre-existing conditions. The reason why the US has so many deaths I feel is because so many of us are already obese, high blood pressure and blood sugar issues.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930394
07/15/20 07:37 AM
07/15/20 07:37 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Big difference between Covid and flu is after recovery from Covid, people many times have serious health and lung problems. My sister-in-law is one of them.

Last edited by ratbrain; 07/15/20 09:25 AM.
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930396
07/15/20 07:39 AM
07/15/20 07:39 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
There's probably well over 250k in Tx over the course of four months the problem is they don't even know they have it. As more people are getting tested millions are going to come back positive with a large majority not even knowing they ever had it. Take out a few outbreaks in predominantly politicized states and really this great illness has been unremarkable. Obesity, high blood pressure, and high blood sugar will kill you with or without Covid. That's a fact.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930397
07/15/20 07:40 AM
07/15/20 07:40 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Ratbrain we've already discussed this go back a page

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930414
07/15/20 08:05 AM
07/15/20 08:05 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Where the link that this data came from?

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: OhioBoy] #6930441
07/15/20 09:11 AM
07/15/20 09:11 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Where the link that this data came from?

1st page

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930447
07/15/20 09:27 AM
07/15/20 09:27 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
All I know is I do not want to get the Covid!

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: charles] #6930452
07/15/20 09:48 AM
07/15/20 09:48 AM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Originally Posted by charles
Covid can have lasting disabilities says CDC. Brain, heart, and lungs may be permanently damaged.

Especially the Brain .

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930458
07/15/20 09:58 AM
07/15/20 09:58 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Along Pike River's theme. There is no way we can compare the infection rate from a flu year in which nobody's behavior was changed to a covid half a year where 2 and a half months of government modified behavior and 4 months of free will behavior change occurred.

The infection rate here is 1 to 2 percent. It is because the State government put the hammer to it,

Delayed the infection at a terrible economic cost.

Last edited by Dirt; 07/15/20 10:01 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: WadeRyan] #6930469
07/15/20 10:16 AM
07/15/20 10:16 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Online content
trapper
Foxpaw  Online Content
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Doesn't the time frame have a big significance. I mean I have never saw or heard of refrigerated trucks used for the flu (I doubt they had them in the swine flu day).

Numbers scare people, probably if the public concentrated on the numbers of preventable medical errors each year, people would never go near a hospital. But those numbers aren't flashed on tv every night.

Re: Comparing Covid to Influenza [Re: ] #6930547
07/15/20 11:40 AM
07/15/20 11:40 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Mark June
I just saw the swat team blast their way in, and the federales dragging Leftlane out of his underground bunker!!!!!!
OMG! OMG!

LL was yelling "I don't want to be tested.... you're hurting my arm. I refuse because I'm an American! I know my rights!"
The big guy leading the swat'ers shoved LL into the dust and said, "You ain't got anymore rights Bubba. Now open up your nostrils cause we're a gonna test youuuuuuuu."

Donna and I quick - ducked back down behind a sago palm - when they put that big ol' swab up his nose!
We couldn't watch. The scene was too horrific. Like a coyote jerking out when you first pull up!

Hope he's ok. They drug him a long way.

They might have held me down and got me tested but I tried to make Texas proud.

I bit 2 in the leg, 1 in the hand, and I got a piece of that big guys ear on the way down.
cool

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread