Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6931679
07/16/20 03:10 PM
07/16/20 03:10 PM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
A coffee can or whatever you want. Pour the rock around eyebolt or whatever and no drilling

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6931785
07/16/20 04:50 PM
07/16/20 04:50 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
But Kermit you have to dig holes mix concrete place eye bolts. You can just drive up to a pile of ready made rocks of all kinds big ones flat ones Square ones and have them load them In the back of the truck. LOL

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: The Beav] #6931856
07/16/20 06:05 PM
07/16/20 06:05 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by The Beav
Originally Posted by Taximan
I have been tempted to make some artificial rocks out of concrete,with an "eye" bolt for a few spots and place them well ahead of season.I would be able to leave them out all year.I have drilled some limestone rocks already,for the same purpose.Actually,the rotary hammer takes the fight out of some of those crazy,rocky areas,for putting in rebar stakes.I always hated when I would hit a rock,halfway down and had to relocate the stake holes several times at one set.Some times you would about wear out your shoulder after a couple sets,but with the rotary hammer and a long,masonry bit,you can relocate a stake hole very quickly with little,physical effort.

My plan was to dig a few holes in a sand bar and use that as my rock molds.You could make them any size or shape that you wanted and install an eye bolt or loop while the concrete was wet.That is the theory anyway.

Just go down to your local home Improvement store you can buy all the pre made rocks you want. Just drill a hole In them and put In cement anchor and your good to go.

Sorry Beave,, ,but those aren't structural.Plus they don't have. The weight needed.

And a can laying out on the prairie isn't going to fool a single coyote or wolf.I am not trapping beavers.A can also wouldn't be heavy enough.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6934180
07/18/20 05:32 PM
07/18/20 05:32 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
.... dirtholes kill everything down here if the pressure has been low

... a tiny bit of skunky call in one hole.... cat gland based in the other

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #6935328
07/19/20 04:39 PM
07/19/20 04:39 PM
Southern Illinois
I
ilbucksndux Offline
trapper
ilbucksndux  Offline
trapper
I

Southern Illinois
Traps. I prefer to use the biggest trap I legally can. I like Bridger #3 dogless. I do have some Bridger dog on traps but once in awhile a big dog will bend up the dog some. Not really a big deal but sometimes it takes longer than I want to tune it up again. Last year I picked up a couple dozen MB 550's and those have became my favorite pretty fast. All my traps have 3 swivels . One on the trap,3 links of chain a swivel 3 more links of chain and a swivel. I prefer to have a J hook attaching a quick link. Im now using Super Stakes on cable. I dip my traps in a mix of 1/2 paint and 1/2 acetone. After good and dry I dip in floor wax twice.

Bait and lure. I always want 2 different baits in my bag all the time,once in awhile I have 3. Lures I want a long call lure, a more subtle call lure,a couple of different gland lures,and a couple different food lures. I always have a lure that is a heavy castor.

Sets. I make 60% flat sets and 40% dirt holes. Not all of my dirt holes are your classic dirt hole sets. Most are a double mouse hole or a "wabble" hole. Every so often I'll make a step down dirt hole. I do like a few blind trail sets. I like to put something in the hole(besides bait/lure) like a cotton ball, sheep's wool,or a wad of grass.

Locations. 90% of the time I set on sign. Fresh scat and or tracks. The other 10% are on locations that catch coyotes. A small field road that connects fields, outside corners. Pond dam,beaver dam, tree in the middle of a field or a center pivot.

Most places I have traps on at leas twice during the season. I like to set an area and get the gravy coyotes and most of the coons,possums,skunks. That initial setting stays a minimum of 14 days. I'll pull them usually right before gun season only leaving the best locations. And set again about a week after second gun season. I only set the best locations on a place. If a stop only calls for 4 or 5 different sets that's all it gets. There is no need putting in sets to just do it. Some sets get 2 traps .

I always remake a set and most of the time I might set another trap right on the outside of the catch circle.

I don't worry about scent at all. I wear my boots at the gas station. I spit tobacco spit at sets. I try to at least take a step or two away from the set. I do wear gloves to keep my hands cleaner. I do use a kneeling pad or knee pads to keep my knees dry. I don't change out traps after a catch. I don't retreat traps during the season. A coyote knows you have been there no matter what you do to stop it. The coyotes that most of us trap see hear and smell people all the time. I honestly think some of them associate human scent with food. People are always leaving something behind for them to eat,dumping trash ECT.

Gary Bartlow
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7100932
12/22/20 05:06 PM
12/22/20 05:06 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So finally got some time to go out and take some pictures of some land. So just to clarify I'm doing this to help show location set construction and what not. Just tell me how y'all would set it up and I'll try to follow your instructions and show pictures of the whole deal. Like if you day I'd put in a step down dirt hole here with this traps yadda yadda yadda I'll try to go out and make the set the way y'all describe,so it's easier to visualize. Not actually trying to catch anything.

Anyhow so this is what we got basically a four way intersection at this gate. There's a brushed trail coming from the left the main gravel road coming down the middle and a trail running the other side of the fence to the right in the pasture. Cannot set on the other side of the gate.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And here's the trail going into the pasture with me looking towards the gate
[Linked Image]

Now the coyotes have been seen taking this trail then cutting across the pasture using natural dips as cover.
[Linked Image]

There's also a woodpile about at the pasture edge
[Linked Image]
And here the end of the pasture. It's a slight rise then a low dip with a drainage going to the right.
[Linked Image]

The ground is pretty wet and we've been getting pretty regular rain . So how would y'all set this up?

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7101559
12/23/20 12:48 AM
12/23/20 12:48 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Not a popular option, but I am convinced that compass set will bring in the dogs (anyway, here that is)! I like to look for areas that show activity, digging and what not. Get some lure in the ground, lol.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: The Beav] #7101704
12/23/20 08:09 AM
12/23/20 08:09 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
Originally Posted by The Beav
Originally Posted by Yes sir
other than my dirt holes most people would have a hard time seeing or finding my coyote sets. On my dirt holes you wouldn't know were my trap is by looking at it with the exception of my step downs. And my dirtholes most people couldn't tell if they were man made or natural.

How many natural looking dirt holes have you ever found In nature. I bet I could spend 2 weeks looking for a animal made dirt hole that resembled a man made dirt hole and wouldn't find one. Just saying.

These are natural holes. I believe they are made by chipmunks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7109963
12/28/20 10:40 PM
12/28/20 10:40 PM
North East Texas
Matt58 Offline
trapper
Matt58  Offline
trapper

North East Texas
Here's a step down dirt hole remake in moist sand. The ridge around the back and right side is at least a foot above the hole. Pan in between two dirt clods. Small ridge of dirt pulled from hole on top of lever. The trench guide on left from O'Gorman (they work great!). Strong trap and good stuff down the hole. I tend to make the initial dirt hole more natural looking but remakes are already blown up so what's a bit more eye appeal...

[Linked Image]
and the result
[Linked Image]

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7115413
01/01/21 12:40 PM
01/01/21 12:40 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
While probably none of us catch big numbers, we all learn from year to year. Especially us lucky ones that have sandy fields and or snow at times. In the past I have caught quite a few on grab and pull sets, always in grassy areas. I also use the pipe set in sod areas but have had good luck with it in cut corn fields with the pipe in front of one or more stalks (more is better). However, this year I caught probably half in dirt holes. Some are step down, some regular "2" auger from Tom Stalker, and once in a while in a sandy spot I will dig a big dirt hole with a spade shovel. I have Victor Monty #3 dogless, MB550'S, and a few MB650'S. I do use a #3DLS in a few places in sand.
Highest spot in a field is always a producer, or the highest spot in that area of the field if it has a hedgerow with reasonable distance.

[Linked Image]
This was a sand high spot in a cut corn field. Pipe set in front of one stalk.

[Linked Image]
This was a double dirt hole at the end of a island of trees that sticks out into this field. No matter what side of the island the coyotes run they always go close to the point that is the west end of the island.
[Linked Image]
Same location at the end of the island of trees, different year. Again, step down double dirt hole.

[Linked Image]
This is the top of a river bank, north side. South side is identical. Built by the Army Corps of Engineers decades ago to keep the river from flooding farm land. I use either grab and pull, pipe sets, or flat sets on these. However in this particular case, no takers. But to the left you can see a pass thru spot for farm machinery to get from one field to the other. There is a drainage ditch there so it is a pinch point. Dirt hole and first night catch. Remake and added a second dirt hole, first night catch in the second hole. And later a 3rd in the second hole.

[Linked Image]
Here's dog from last week in a pipe set. This was a machinery crossover a big ditch between 2 fields. Grassy sod spot. Just across the path I had a dirt hole, caught one there with the original hole. Had a long chain so moved the trap to the outside edge of the catch circle and caught #2 (no picture). Those 2 holes had deer liver for bait with a shot of urine on the back of the hole. But all 3 were caught on the east side of the crossover (west predominate wind).

[Linked Image]
Last one. Sandy lane through the timber. T intersection. Dirt hole on the corner, and a dirt hole across the lane to the right. Caught 2 where this one is, nothing in second set across the lane. Deer liver again. Hope these help.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7115416
01/01/21 12:47 PM
01/01/21 12:47 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
I wanted to add this.
[Linked Image]
High spot in a picked bean field that was basically bare sand. The coyotes cross the knob every time they go thru this field. I gathered up 2 piles of bean stalk debris and made 2 pee post sets. This was an old female, not friendly. She was barking at me while I was pulling up with the truck.

Note, the other debris pile just missed looking at the tracks in the sand. I remade the destroyed one. Next morning the coyotes had came back thru and from the BACK side pulled back both piles of debris. Ha. So even the one that did not catch they were wary of. We had snow, sleet , and freezing rain the next night so that was the end of the season.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7115542
01/01/21 02:56 PM
01/01/21 02:56 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
Snaring unoccupied cattle pastures can be deadly. The cows make the trails for you and the coyotes follow them. Find a funnel point like this and block it down. This has taken 4 coyotes in 3 weeks plus 2 bonus fox.

One snare on the left and one on the right. Had to plant some brush to narrow things down a bit. Try to keep it somewhat natural.
[Linked Image]

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7115570
01/01/21 03:14 PM
01/01/21 03:14 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
[Linked Image]
Wolfie are their any coyote tracks in the sand near the gate ? If so are they coming down the fence to cross or are they following the road or path ? I think they are harder to catch at the gate as opposed to back a ways. If they are coming along the fence a urine post may be your best bet close to the gate. A deep dirt hole with a white rock or bone in it for eye appeal and what ever bait you prefer.

In the road , I would set a deep step down dirt hole so that if your not the only one diving there you don’t have to worry about the trap being ruined by a vehicle.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7116269
01/01/21 11:27 PM
01/01/21 11:27 PM
SD
B
Bison88 Offline
trapper
Bison88  Offline
trapper
B

SD
Great pictures and tips, thanks for sharing!

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: steeltraps] #7117396
01/02/21 07:21 PM
01/02/21 07:21 PM
USA
C
Coyotero7 Offline
trapper
Coyotero7  Offline
trapper
C

USA
Originally Posted by steeltraps
I like Flat Sets . About 90% of my coyote contract jobs in the summer get some sort or flat set or post set. I like MB -550 traps . As far as books . I like the old hard to find ones. James Mast ,Bill Nelson , Stanley Young, Wiley Carroll, Del Cramer, John Ehn, James Lucero and so on. Anything made before 1970s is a book I want to read. Ogorman's book being the exception

I have taken quite an interest myself in studying many of the older wolfer books out there since I primarily focus on coyotes. I have a list of books (many of yours listed above) that I am looking to purchase and those I have purchased so far and read, I have thoroughly enjoyed. They have been very insightful and many of the methods flat out work. The one thing that I find you have to overlook is the references to a lot of the "older technology" and equipment, as trapping equipment has come a looooong way since then.

Sometimes I find it great to circle back to the "older ways" and study how those guys did it back then. Amazing what history can teach us that is actually lost in the shuffle with social media, etc.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7117849
01/03/21 01:07 AM
01/03/21 01:07 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Great thread. I’ll see if I have time to make a poor boy set tomorrow and post it. Great flat set

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7118874
01/03/21 07:14 PM
01/03/21 07:14 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
For the last few years I snared more coyote than trapped. Some were on old cow trails set like Savell pictured. Most were in desert brush/grass mix. In cat season I often used combo cat/coyote 10x10 loops. Such loops seldom took coyote unless loop was half shadowed under a bush. A cat was worth about 10 coyote and took less time to putup. On a typical 14" wide coyote trails through thin brush a 16" loop 13" off ground was most effective for me. Light snow was usually on the ground and I saw far too many instances where coyote left trails to avoid a fairly well camouflaged 10" loops in 16 gauge snares.

Wolfdog91 - if lethal snares are legal in your area they would probably be my choice because of the wet conditions you mentioned. In your first picture the most prominent focal point is the corner near right side of gate. Coyote travelling road would be on right side to save distance in right curve. Those leaving road to go down fence line would also be there.

Last edited by Furvor; 01/03/21 07:39 PM.
Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Furvor] #7120252
01/04/21 04:38 PM
01/04/21 04:38 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Wolfdog91

If you are working in wet conditions it is pretty hard to beat chopped hay or grass (like used in the pipe dream method of Zagger's)
or peat moss. Peat moss that is well dried will stand a lot of weather. A lot.
Stay out of low spots, look for elevated spots that will drain. If you are expecting a ton of rain, you can even provide a mini trench off the side or back of the pattern.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7122692
01/06/21 12:55 AM
01/06/21 12:55 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Finally had time to make a poor boy. That’s my name for it. Never seen it just figured most of it out on my own. Maybe a set that has been around for years. It just clicked with me one day after I had drove past rocks with scat on them for the hundredth time . I’m a slow learner. lol

I struggled with it for years until a guy that I introduced to trapping said something about it one day. Instead of leaving the rock on top of the ground he partially buried it. He nailed it. I’m still not sure why but it makes a big difference. Wish I would have thought of that! mad it is simple and fast. If I make 20 sets in a day I do 1 poor boy. I call it that because you need a white rock and coyote scat nothing more. No bought lure or anything fancy. Lure can be used and I do time to time. I do put urine on the scat. Again it maybe a old set.

I like to use a flat rock maybe 1” thick but it doesn’t matter. 6”x6” is probably the norm. Chop a hole the size of the rock and slap it in. I go about 10” out and bed a trap. 10” is just what I do go 6” or 12” just do what seems right. Place some coyote scat on top and the poor boy is complete. A rock a trap and coyote poop hence the poor boy. I personally like to give it a squirt of good coyote urine. If I’m feeling real smart I’ll put a very small amount of lure on it. Very small. June’s 365 is what I usually dab on it.

A side note. I made this set a few years ago and had a professional trapper ask me who in the world taught me that. I replied nobody. He laughed and said he did the same thing. Here are some pics from start to finish. I didn’t like the backside left for some reason so I put the top of a weed behind it as a slight backing.

Bottom pic is taken this morning 14 hours later.

CDFFED7F-81B1-4867-AB88-A09C0777070C.jpeg00F6E247-C115-4D50-9584-7DB4834A1BE6.jpeg3AC12FD1-2FB6-4A3C-A600-689091961F7C.jpeg8C0AD15B-1995-4405-845E-41B36BFF3DA2.jpeg05985794-D4AA-426C-AE42-56F32DFE3449.jpeg
Last edited by Pawnee; 01/06/21 10:08 AM.

Re: Coyotes coyotes coyotes [Re: Wolfdog91] #7122704
01/06/21 01:04 AM
01/06/21 01:04 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Funny. Now that I posted it I see why I put the weed as backing on the left. It’s the point of the rock I didn’t like. To open so I closed it up a bit. Like I said I’m a bit slow. Lol

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91