No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6931175
07/15/20 11:50 PM
07/15/20 11:50 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Here are a couple shots:

[Linked Image]
The trap was at a den, but not at the bank like you normally would set it. You can see the muddy run that the rat traveled. I set the trap from the first bend in the run to the second bend. I didn't use dive sticks, because the top of the trap was right at the top of the water, therefore it was breaking the surface tension of the water the same a dive sticks would have. I pulled the trap out of the water to show the rat in it.

[Linked Image]
This trap was set in a place that the stream narrowed from about 8 feet to about 6 inches. The actual stream was still about 8 feet, but water weeds had it almost choked off. You can see the use of the dive sticks in the photo. The use of dive are because rats usually swim on the surface when traveling from one point to another. They see the dive sticks as an obstruction and dive under them right into your trap. I usually place the dive sticks about 4 inches away from the trap.

[Linked Image]
I found the overflow pond the day day before and saw where the rats were feeding it and had bank den and 4 or 5 feeding locations. There was no ice on the pond when I set the trap. At the upper end of the pond there was a small spring run that emptied into it that stayed open unless a really had freeze lasting a number of day. There is another pond that this pond empties into. I checked the traps I had in the other pond and as I came up over the bank a muskrat ran ahead of me and jumped into the spring run. I watched it swim down the run into the pond and watched it go into the colon trap and drown. I t took about 30 second, to drown, because it kept coming to the bottom side of the ice a inhaling the air bubbles that were trapped and you can see.

[Linked Image]
This mink was caught in the same trap on another day, in the same trap as you see in the second photo where the weeds have choked off the flow. The trap I believe was probably a 30 inch trap.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: MINK I LOVE] #6931882
07/16/20 06:21 PM
07/16/20 06:21 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by MINK I LOVE
Originally Posted by Actor
Buy the book I wrote on MUSKRATS ... it shows how and where to use them and even how to make folding colony traps.

Garry-

Your book Sir, Makes it fun to Trap Muskrats Again. A 'SIMPLY' Outstanding Book!

Thank you for those most kind and thoughtful words. I tried my best to make it interesting as well as educational. When I suggest it to some young buck or to someone older that just wants to trap rats, it isn't that I am being braggart, I firmly believe they can learn something that will be helpful to their education on the subject.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932261
07/16/20 11:25 PM
07/16/20 11:25 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
What is your book called and where can I find it? Also how do you identify runs compared to a bald strip in the vegetation? Also what do you recommend as a standard size? I really appreciate all the info and I’ll try to get me some rats in colony traps this year. One more question, do you ever set colony traps to target mink? Thanks again for all the helpful info. laugh

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932535
07/17/20 10:01 AM
07/17/20 10:01 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
A run is usually identified as depression or bare trail on the bottom of a body of water, where a water animal travels. I have seen runs, with nothing more than vegetation removed to a depression a foot or more deep. I make all of my own folding colony traps and usually 6 x 6 or 7 x 7 and 30 inches long. No, I don't set colony specifically for mink... BUT... when I set a colony where I think I might catch a mink, I set a colony with a re-enforced doors, otherwise they can sometime push the gate out and escape.

Garry-

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932553
07/17/20 10:28 AM
07/17/20 10:28 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I was also taught to cover some of the colony trap with local vegetation draped over . Mink will sometimes get in them when they are chasing or hunting muskrats too.
And also I was taught to use a short t stake to stabilize them if the local vegetation was not heavy enough.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932573
07/17/20 10:55 AM
07/17/20 10:55 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Can you imagine the rule change this year for Michigan DNR.

Stating its OK to trap mink in a colony trap this year and on!!!

I would like to ask them, how was I supposed to avoid them in the past?

More examples of MORONS that apparently never used one at all. Now they say its legal!?! wink

I use 3 sizes. 5", 6" and 8"x36". The 5 & 6 are 24".

Last edited by seniortrap; 07/17/20 10:56 AM.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932586
07/17/20 11:10 AM
07/17/20 11:10 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I will say if rain is expected shortly after setting, use a 3/8" re-rod down through the side of the trap.
Not to impeded the doors though.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932616
07/17/20 11:39 AM
07/17/20 11:39 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
The only time I use an additional stake to stabilize is in a small choke point where the water is swift and I want it to stay in one position, or in a pond that has a drop off into deep water. I learned that the hard way. I had a set at a bank den... the run was only about 3 feet long, water about 8 inches deep. Then the run ended and water dropped in about 6 feet of water. Went the next morning and trap was gone. After studying the site for quite a while I decided the trap had been pushed out into deeper water. Next morning took a deep water fishing rig with very large treble hook. On the third cast was able to snag the trap and with some effort drag it back to within reach. It had 3 extra large rats in it.

I have never had to cover a trap for muskrats or mink. I consider all mink caught in them to be incidental or even call them blind sets if you will. By using the dive sticks when away from den or bank sets, if the mink are swimming, they will be on top of water like muskrats, but will dive where there is an obstruction in the water.

I think I have have size and shape trap imaginable. I think the largest I have is a 9 h x 12 w x 40 l. When I would find a place that I was trapping year after year, where I would have to set side by side or traps on top of another one, I started building a single trap to handle the situation. I prefer 1 x 1 inches mesh, but that is sometimes hard to find, so I use 1 x 2 mesh. I prefer #12 wire size, but last couple times couldn't find it, so had to use #14.

Garry-

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932643
07/17/20 12:24 PM
07/17/20 12:24 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I found using an 8 foot fiberglass paint pole with a short roll hook can snag out most cage traps from the shore.

The one I finally purchased after cheap 5" ones was $20.00 w/extension of about 6'. Just untwist, slide it out and tighten.

I even set some of the colonies from shore with it. Like at a crossover into a field. Stand over the culvert and feed it down and in.

One on each end works well.

Last edited by seniortrap; 07/17/20 12:25 PM.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932689
07/17/20 01:26 PM
07/17/20 01:26 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Be careful when setting culverts with any current. Your traps can and will get washed back Into the culvert. You can either tie them off or just set the lower end of the culvert.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: seniortrap] #6932717
07/17/20 01:55 PM
07/17/20 01:55 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by seniortrap
I will say if rain is expected shortly after setting, use a 3/8" re-rod down through the side of the trap.
Not to impeded the doors though.

Yes, I forgot to say what I do, which like you do... except I use small willow stakes the 1/2 or 3/4 inch dia. vertically placed halfway between to gates on one or both sides through the first row of mesh. Set in bottom good and at least 5 or 6inches above the trap, or more depending on location and situation.

Garry-

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Actor] #6932722
07/17/20 02:00 PM
07/17/20 02:00 PM
New York
P
proratman Offline
trapper
proratman  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Here are a couple shots:

[Linked Image]
The trap was at a den, but not at the bank like you normally would set it. You can see the muddy run that the rat traveled. I set the trap from the first bend in the run to the second bend. I didn't use dive sticks, because the top of the trap was right at the top of the water, therefore it was breaking the surface tension of the water the same a dive sticks would have. I pulled the trap out of the water to show the rat in it.

[Linked Image]
This trap was set in a place that the stream narrowed from about 8 feet to about 6 inches. The actual stream was still about 8 feet, but water weeds had it almost choked off. You can see the use of the dive sticks in the photo. The use of dive are because rats usually swim on the surface when traveling from one point to another. They see the dive sticks as an obstruction and dive under them right into your trap. I usually place the dive sticks about 4 inches away from the trap.

[Linked Image]
I found the overflow pond the day day before and saw where the rats were feeding it and had bank den and 4 or 5 feeding locations. There was no ice on the pond when I set the trap. At the upper end of the pond there was a small spring run that emptied into it that stayed open unless a really had freeze lasting a number of day. There is another pond that this pond empties into. I checked the traps I had in the other pond and as I came up over the bank a muskrat ran ahead of me and jumped into the spring run. I watched it swim down the run into the pond and watched it go into the colon trap and drown. I t took about 30 second, to drown, because it kept coming to the bottom side of the ice a inhaling the air bubbles that were trapped and you can see.

[Linked Image]
This mink was caught in the same trap on another day, in the same trap as you see in the second photo where the weeds have choked off the flow. The trap I believe was probably a 30 inch trap.

Garry-

X2 These pictures are the best way to describe the use of colony traps. They must be under water with either a dive stick or iced over to be effective.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932724
07/17/20 02:03 PM
07/17/20 02:03 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Most of the culverts I set have a metal or concrete apron sticking out In front so getting a stake In is not going to happen. In these situations I either tie the trap off or at times I have used a piece of heavy steel that has been cut to size and Is placed In the bottom of the trap. Never had one get washed away when doing this.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932742
07/17/20 02:19 PM
07/17/20 02:19 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
ALWAYS adequately secure your colonies! Larger creatures get in them only part way sometimes, otter, raccoons, even waterfowl and away they can go. Even if you stake thru them do so at an angle. Watched an eagle pull one up off a stake and I was lucky it was heavy enough with captured m'rats that I caught up to it and chased it off. Eagles here have learned quite well how to recover submerged m'rats, if they can see them, even a couple feet deep.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Actor] #6932837
07/17/20 03:42 PM
07/17/20 03:42 PM
OH
Kristen🦊 Offline
trapper
Kristen🦊  Offline
trapper

OH
Here are a couple shots:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Garry-

Ditto . Lol Great explanation Garry!

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932903
07/17/20 04:49 PM
07/17/20 04:49 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
My problem is if otter find them they roll them up the bank and extract their dinners. Once they learn how to......there is only one way to solve the problem.

I use fender washers and attach mid-colony with cable and have drilled into the culverts and left a roofing screw and washer to attach the traps to.

At freeze up the last areas to freeze are inside the culverts and the rats climb up on the ice shelf and eat their meals there.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6932995
07/17/20 06:02 PM
07/17/20 06:02 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Those culverts really shine In the spring.

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6933310
07/17/20 09:44 PM
07/17/20 09:44 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Colony trapping is fun, I always stake with 3/8 t bar, so when creek floods it there after

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6933514
07/18/20 02:18 AM
07/18/20 02:18 AM
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
S
saskbone Offline
trapper
saskbone  Offline
trapper
S

Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
A few pictures and comments

Traps I use 5x5-6x6-12x6- round colony 12x30
[Linked Image]
These are my favorite. Dropped in front of a small rat hole. Contrary to some beliefs rats float under water
[Linked Image]
6x6 dropped in front of a hole. Works in a run the same way. Carry a spade and dig out a run and I fit any trap where I want it to go
[Linked Image]
You can fit a lot of rats in a round colony. Make sure they have a gate at the end of the funnel
[Linked Image]
Works in spring,fall and winter
[Linked Image]
Small colony's will catch multiples as well they just fill up faster. Best place is in a culvert for round colony's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You'll catch mink
[Linked Image]
Fish
[Linked Image]
Fish and muskrats

[Linked Image]

I rigged up a drying system for my truck

[Linked Image]
The rats drip dry and spin around while I'm checking traps. The bars are remove able. Once the back rack is full I move it to the front of the truck.
Put a new bar up and start hanging more rats

[Linked Image]
Bars are transferable and carried from the truck to the skinning room

[Linked Image]
Finished rats are hung up higher in the skinning room where the heat is and with a fan blowing on them

[Linked Image]
Stack up the rats

[Linked Image]
Milk crates work good for storing rats

[Linked Image]
Save your rat glands. Lots of people will buy them
[Linked Image]
Fire is hard on colony traps
[Linked Image]

Rats are easy to catch. Easy to flesh and dry,and fun to catch. You need big populations to catch lots of rats........but if you catch one or ten they are a fun animal to trap

Oh yeah watch out for bears. Bears get mad when you run out of fresh muskrats for bait!
[Linked Image]

Re: How to properly use colony traps [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6933568
07/18/20 07:20 AM
07/18/20 07:20 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa