No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6933978
07/18/20 02:01 PM
07/18/20 02:01 PM
Iowa-Mississippi River
D
Daves Decoys Offline
trapper
Daves Decoys  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa-Mississippi River
"Those Calloways" 1965 - I was 11 and when the kid was trapping and confronted by the wolverine under the log pile, I was on the edge of my seat.

Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave
ITA Lifetime member
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934012
07/18/20 02:35 PM
07/18/20 02:35 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Robin hood, ivanhoe, john wayne, roy rogers, jimmy Stewart, shane, rifleman

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934014
07/18/20 02:40 PM
07/18/20 02:40 PM
eastern washington
B
BillyTraps Offline
trapper
BillyTraps  Offline
trapper
B

eastern washington
Swiss Family Robinson
Journey to the Center of the Earth
I was lucky to be able to talk face to face with WW2 soldiers and sailors.So war movies were interesting to me. cant remember all the movie names.
Westerns were also interesting to me. also cant remember all the movie names.
Movies I watched back then seemed to have a better moral compass than today.
other than a few children movies with my boys, Dances with Wolves is the last movie I saw in a theater.

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934032
07/18/20 02:49 PM
07/18/20 02:49 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
As a youth (we saw very few movies) Old Yeller , To Kill a Mockigbird
As a teen, young adult- Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge over the River Kwia
As an adult- The Firm, The Fugitive, Platoon, Out of Africa
Bryce

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934037
07/18/20 02:53 PM
07/18/20 02:53 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Stripes.

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934043
07/18/20 03:05 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline
trapper
We-Sa  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm a good bit younger than you but feel the same way about 99% of what's on the screen now, and most of what you stated in your last paragraph. I suspect our folks are from the same generation.

I do have to respectfully disagree with your comments regarding that today we have no true heros. There are folks out there that have persevered and triumphed over some adversity that we could look up to, we just don't hear about them. Some of their stories aren't quite glitzy enough to make a movie about or even devote a few lines of print to but they're still worth more than most of the drivel that makes it on the big screen or the NY Times best seller list. The folks usually touted today as hero's in the media, internet, movies or news are no more worthy of second glance than a dog humped up in the back yard poopin'.

Ever since they did away with the Fairness Doctrine, weak minded, perverse and sinister individuals have been buying up every news outlet they can. With their agendas and "knowledge is power" mantra they'll only recount and pass on the stories that fit their purpose. It's sad but in this day and age we have to view every story, comment, video or picture with skepticism and wonder what their "angle" is.

Looking over my post i guess I rambling, it could be the heat but I'll blame it on Actor for getting me to thinking

“I don't know, Chief, if he's very smart or very dumb.”
Capt. Quint
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: pcr2] #6934044
NW Mo
M
Michael Lippold Offline
trapper
Michael Lippold  Offline
trapper
M

NW Mo
Originally Posted by pcr2
good read,mine was about a lady named "Debbie" that took place in Dallas. whistle

A feller might go blind watching movies like that......

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934051
07/18/20 03:27 PM
07/18/20 03:27 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Weep no more my lady
Jeremiah Johnson
The day the earth stood still
(Most any John Wayne flick)
Crimson Pirate

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Daves Decoys] #6934053
07/18/20 03:29 PM
07/18/20 03:29 PM
New York
P
proratman Offline
trapper
proratman  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Originally Posted by Daves Decoys
"Those Calloways" 1965 - I was 11 and when the kid was trapping and confronted by the wolverine under the log pile, I was on the edge of my seat.

Uncle Dave

X2- I too have always enjoyed watching "Those Calloways". In fact, I just received the DVD for Christmas this past winter. Like many movies from that era, it is just a little slow at times. But the overall theme is great. It was because of men like Cam Calloway, that we now have Federal National Wildlife Refuges for the geese to rest and feed during their migrations.

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934058
07/18/20 03:32 PM
07/18/20 03:32 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Animal house, true grit, and first blood are a few of the movie's i can remember watching young.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934075
07/18/20 03:49 PM
07/18/20 03:49 PM
Pa
A
Art S Offline
trapper
Art S  Offline
trapper
A

Pa
Wide eyed 3rd grader watching Star Wars on the big screen when it first came out ,
1st "R" rated Fast Times at Ridgemont High , still like brunettes for some reason . lol

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934095
07/18/20 03:57 PM
07/18/20 03:57 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
"How the West Was Won" has always stuck with me. Jimmy Stewart instilled a fascination with the Mountain Men and the theme song is almost always in my head. My oldest brother took me to see it at the theater ("showhouse") in Milwaukee which was a treat in itself.

The scary movie my other brothers let me watch on t.v. was "The Thing". That was centered in an Arctic scientific station. They dug some alien critter out of the ice and he commenced to terrorize them....and me for many years. It was the first scary movie I ever saw.

Moosetrot

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934101
07/18/20 04:07 PM
07/18/20 04:07 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Been thinking about this for awhile and wanted to give the OP a real answer since his post was so heartfelt. I'm thinking "It's a wonderful life" would be a movie that influenced me. Not because it turns out perfect but because it reinforces God, Family, Country and the good of man. All of these things are in short supply these days and perhaps that's why the country is in the state it's in. I know that some on here hate that movie. I hear it every Christmas when there is a thread about it. However, look past that. Look into the real meaning of it. The meaning behind it. It represents American values probably more than any other movie I can think of. Thanks for posing the question Actor. It made me really think about things for awhile.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Daves Decoys] #6934112
07/18/20 04:25 PM
07/18/20 04:25 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Daves Decoys

Uncle Dave

Yep ermine trapping think about that movie now and then.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934229
07/18/20 06:14 PM
07/18/20 06:14 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by Actor
It seems as you get older, live alone and have very little outside communication with others, especially during these trying times, that you live and think about the past more than you do the present or the future. There appears there is nothing for you in the future. You think different than the younger generation, and not many of them are interested in your experience. On this site I am able from time to time lend my voice to a conversation and have it acknowledged as being worthwhile.

All of the conversations there have been, every where, about wearing masks, have triggered thoughts from many years ago to my childhood years, and things or in this discussion, movies. We had a discussion several weeks ago about the movie, Song Of The South. This was the first movie I remember ever seeing. I was 5 years old in 1946. I am not sure that I can relate all of the feelings I had during that movies and I can remember it like it was last week, but I can't tell you what I ate yesterday.

Our family didn't have much and I learned not to expect too much, either for a birthday or Christmas. I did learn to be grateful what I did receive. Although, many times was disappointed. That is why I started trapping when I was 6 years old. But back to the movies. Movies were seldom and few until the 1950s when my aunt got a job working in a theater. Then I got an opportunity to see the Saturday afternoon serial movies, once in a while. I of course loved the westerns with Lash Larue, Hoot Gibson, Hopalong Cassidy, Ken Maynard, Bob Steele, Red Ryder and Little Beaver and of course Zorro and many more. I think watching these shows taught me right from wrong and good from evil.

One of the movies, in black and white, that left an indelible impression on me was the 1939 version of "The Man In The Iron Mask". I wasn't born yet when it first came out, but they did another showing of it when I was probably 8 to 10 years old. I have no idea, what impression it was that I was left with, but it is still with me till this day. I think maybe it was the conquering the impossible. Overcoming all odds and then making things right and punishing the wrong. Ever since this mask routine we are now involved in comes up, the first thing that pops into my mind ins The Man In The Iron Mask.

The next movie that left a lasting impression on me was the 1938 version of the "Adventures of Robinhood", with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone, and Claude Rains. Again, I can not tell you what the feeling is, I was left with, but it is still with me today. I can only suggest it is the same feeling that I had from the others... Injustice, right over wrong and those that are good should prevail.

The last movie that has made a significant impact on my life was "Braveheart", in 1995. I guess the theme of all of these movies that have impacted me down to my deepest core are all the same including the Saturday afternoon cowboy movies.

Now, looking back and looking at today, the difference may be that today we have no true heroes. We have no historical facts to place our hope or trust in. Everything that comes to the screen today is so slanted, perverted and corrupted, that any feelings one might have are those same feelings. God Bless this country and lift this doom from our eyes and hearts.

For those that take the time to read this gibberish from an Old Fool... Bless You.

Garry-

Thanks for articulating some of the things that worry me about the current world. You are not the only one to notice how the movies have changed.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934231
07/18/20 06:15 PM
07/18/20 06:15 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
John Wayne - The Cowboys
Teachers - 1984 - Did not see it until 1987 - Motivated me to become a teacher and left the group homes for juvenile delinquents. (I was not a resident)
1970's, I will do almost anything for my students - legal
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - The craziness of Crazy
Rocky - Anyone can do anything and we do not know what we are capable of
Jeremiah Johnson - enough said
The Warriors - I and my buddies loved it
Animal House - Led a to some debauchery
1980's
The Shinning - seen it with my girlfriend and her mother - WOW
The Outsiders - Was running a group home for Juvenile delinquents - we could relate and everyone in the twon hated us for who we were helping
Footloose - Loved the music
1990's
Schindler's List - Still show it every year to my Juniors in American History
The Sandlot - Still coach our girls softball team, been coaching a team since 1980.
Tombstone - "I can be your Huckleberry"
2000's
Gladiator - Great Movie - Vengeance shall be Mine
Dances with Wolves - I would love to see it in the theater again!

Last edited by Bear Tracker; 07/18/20 06:18 PM.
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934281
07/18/20 06:45 PM
07/18/20 06:45 PM
Ohio, 55yrs old
Pasadena Offline
trapper
Pasadena  Offline
trapper

Ohio, 55yrs old
A few movies that I love and hit the emotion button.

We were Soldiers.
Gladiator
The Cowboys
Braveheart
The Passion of the Christ
Last of the Mohicans, really like the music score. Powerful stuff

[Linked Image]

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934290
07/18/20 06:51 PM
07/18/20 06:51 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Thank you all for your responses. the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" came out in 1946 or 47, In the area of the country I lived in, central Ohio. It didn't really come to be the dynamic movie that it is now, until probably late 1950s. It is also one that has influenced me, not only at Christmas time, but through out the year and my whole life since I have seen it. It has in some cases helped me make decisions that I might other wise might not have made... and there are also times when I should have given it much more thought. We may never know, how we treat someone today how it will affect our lives or the other person's life tomorrow.

One movie that several have mentioned that I haven't seen is "Those Calloways". I have heard about it, but never have seen it. I don't subscribe to any of the TV channels that show all of the old movies. I just get the channels that have all of the older Westerns on them.

Speaking of Hero's today... there are quite a few that should probably be considered as such, but they aren't widely accepted. We had movie stars, sports, war just common folks from the past that did tremendous things we could look up to as hero's, but most have been tore down and tried to be destroyed in our eyes and in our hearts and minds.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934306
07/18/20 07:01 PM
07/18/20 07:01 PM
GA
P
PSPH17 Offline
trapper
PSPH17  Offline
trapper
P

GA
Where the red fern grows
The cowboys
Jeremiah Johnson

Re: Early Movies that left an impression on you [Re: Actor] #6934313
07/18/20 07:08 PM
07/18/20 07:08 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Jeremiah Johnson at the hometown movie theater with my Dad in 1972. He knew I loved the outdoors and we shared the experience together on many occasions. He never went to the movies that I could remember so I was thrilled he decided this would be his first. God Bless you Dad!

Chris

Last edited by Hodagtrapper; 07/18/20 07:09 PM.

>>In God we trust<<
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread