No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6935515
07/19/20 07:30 PM
07/19/20 07:30 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Know that's a good Idea.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6935597
07/19/20 08:30 PM
07/19/20 08:30 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
nyhuntfish,
When using multi-strand cable/wire rope, such as 7x7, 7x19 (1x19 and 1x7 are classified as single strand cable) the following apply. If you have a swaging tool, you put the sleeve(DF) in the correct size notch sideways, start at one end and keep swaging until you run out of sleeve. If you only have a hammer, lay the sleeve flat and pound it flatter.
A swaging tool has the correct size notches designated to specific sized sleeves (aluminum is different than steel) and when swaged sideways like demonstrated in that video clip, won't allow the aluminum to swage out the sides like you are doing when hammering any stop or sleeve, but restrains the sideways movement of the aluminum to the dimension of the notch, in the swaging tools jaws. The reason to start at one end when using a swaging tool, is that the sleeve or stop, elongates with each compression, and adds additional length to the stop or sleeve, which allows more number of compressions per fitting/sleeve/stop.
What you are doing when you swage or pound a stop/sleeve onto any wire rope, is swaging the aluminum/steel/copper/bi-metal into the voids of the cable/wire rope. The denser the material is in the stop/sleeve, the more amount of tonnage you need to move the material, to fill the voids in the cable. With a swaging tool, and the correct sized stop/sleeves, you are filling more of the voids in the cable from about 75% of surface area. When you are pounding a stop/sleeve you are just filling the top and bottom of the voids in the cable, and not getting as much compression of the material the stop/sleeve is made of. The denser the material swaged into the voids, the finished length of compression, and depth of compression all add to the strength/weakness of the finished product. Not all cable/wire rope/sleeves/stops, are created equal, manufactured to the same specs, nor quality of material. With a swaging tool, you can also swage a sleeve full length, turn it 90 degrees, and also swage the fins/ribs left by the first swaging process to gain additional strength.
What bctomcat has demonstrated above, is causing an interruption in the surface of the cable, or made the metal denser by applying a deeper compression of the sleeve in that direct area where pictured. There are commercial machines that swage in three stages that leave two large dents in one side of a sleeve and a single dent in the opposite side. Industry claims it exceeds cable strength.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6935808
07/20/20 12:24 AM
07/20/20 12:24 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Then of coarse if you use the wrong sleeves for that specific cable and the wrong swagger notch your going to have loses.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936026
07/20/20 09:48 AM
07/20/20 09:48 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Thanks Rally, for a very informative post.

So I've been using pounded double sleeves on my earth anchors for years, but had a number of failures on some new ones I built last fall. I am thinking I may not have pound them flat enough, but had heard you can over do it and weaken the sleeve. Is there anything to that theory?

May be a mute point now as I just purchased a bench swagging tool.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936221
07/20/20 01:05 PM
07/20/20 01:05 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try some of this now.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: Rally] #6936316
07/20/20 03:31 PM
07/20/20 03:31 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Originally Posted by Rally
nyhuntfish,
When using multi-strand cable/wire rope, such as 7x7, 7x19 (1x19 and 1x7 are classified as single strand cable) the following apply. If you have a swaging tool, you put the sleeve(DF) in the correct size notch sideways, start at one end and keep swaging until you run out of sleeve. If you only have a hammer, lay the sleeve flat and pound it flatter.
A swaging tool has the correct size notches designated to specific sized sleeves (aluminum is different than steel) and when swaged sideways like demonstrated in that video clip, won't allow the aluminum to swage out the sides like you are doing when hammering any stop or sleeve, but restrains the sideways movement of the aluminum to the dimension of the notch, in the swaging tools jaws. The reason to start at one end when using a swaging tool, is that the sleeve or stop, elongates with each compression, and adds additional length to the stop or sleeve, which allows more number of compressions per fitting/sleeve/stop.
What you are doing when you swage or pound a stop/sleeve onto any wire rope, is swaging the aluminum/steel/copper/bi-metal into the voids of the cable/wire rope. The denser the material is in the stop/sleeve, the more amount of tonnage you need to move the material, to fill the voids in the cable. With a swaging tool, and the correct sized stop/sleeves, you are filling more of the voids in the cable from about 75% of surface area. When you are pounding a stop/sleeve you are just filling the top and bottom of the voids in the cable, and not getting as much compression of the material the stop/sleeve is made of. The denser the material swaged into the voids, the finished length of compression, and depth of compression all add to the strength/weakness of the finished product. Not all cable/wire rope/sleeves/stops, are created equal, manufactured to the same specs, nor quality of material. With a swaging tool, you can also swage a sleeve full length, turn it 90 degrees, and also swage the fins/ribs left by the first swaging process to gain additional strength.
What bctomcat has demonstrated above, is causing an interruption in the surface of the cable, or made the metal denser by applying a deeper compression of the sleeve in that direct area where pictured. There are commercial machines that swage in three stages that leave two large dents in one side of a sleeve and a single dent in the opposite side. Industry claims it exceeds cable strength.

Thank you for this wonderfully detailed answer. I printed it out and put in my trapping book for reference.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936342
07/20/20 04:09 PM
07/20/20 04:09 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
So after I flatten them, I can place them on the edge of the rail which is a right angle, and give them another whack to indent the flat of the flattened ferule?, Then there's no need to weld an inverted V thingee on the rail....

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936378
07/20/20 04:47 PM
07/20/20 04:47 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
I would say yes but it will be a bit more awkward and I would think the iron block should be anchored to keep it from moving with a sideways blow.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936382
07/20/20 04:51 PM
07/20/20 04:51 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I think the blunted edge of a chisel would be the way to go.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936804
07/20/20 11:52 PM
07/20/20 11:52 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Walleye101,
Yes there is something to the over pounding, but could also be you got some poor sleeves, poorly formed, thin walled and full of dirt. Best way to tell is to look at external finish and color of sleeve. If it appears frosty, rough, and has minute dark spots in metal (dirt), you most likely got some cheap import sleeves made of poor material, which is harder than it should be, penetrates/forms less or requires more strength in swaging. Lots of that stuff out there and manufacturing specs went out the window. Poor base metal being forced through swaging dies in manufacturing process causes the frosting on exterior and also some tempering/ hardening of exterior surfaces. Dirt in the finished product is just poor quality control, often leaving the end user to be quality control, or base metals of uncertified content. Some I've seen even have a yellow tinge to them from being cooled or tumbled in used oils, and actually feel "slick". Any guesses where it comes from? LOL

Keep your boots dry
Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936940
07/21/20 08:02 AM
07/21/20 08:02 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Thanks Rally,
It is great to have a usefull informative thread mixed in among the politics and covid drivel.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6936973
07/21/20 08:42 AM
07/21/20 08:42 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
I use my 3lb hammer but hit them flat just hard enough to squish them tight just a couple of taps.
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: illinideer] #6937644
07/21/20 07:40 PM
07/21/20 07:40 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by illinideer
I use my 3lb hammer but hit them flat just hard enough to squish them tight just a couple of taps.
J

That is exactly how I had been doing it but hat multiple failures last fall. Apparently not squished quite tight enough.

Re: Ferrule advice for the newbe [Re: nyhuntfish] #6937693
07/21/20 08:21 PM
07/21/20 08:21 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I switched to a bench swager years ago for a more professional look when I was making snares and cable stakes for sale. I don't sell them anymore but I sure as heck would never go back to a hammer. All that pounding and inconsistent results sucks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread