No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938362
07/22/20 10:17 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Getting hard to run hounds here. The antler hunters get real bad upset if your dog gets on their leased property. Here in KS they have to let you get your dog if you contact the landowner but you can get a trespass ticket. Few years back a guy not far from here shot some coyote hounds. He said they were bothering his cattle and so it was decided he was within his rights.
I have plenty of permissions but a dog can be in the next section so fast nonhunters can not believe it. A dog hits a track he is going where ever the quarry goes if he is worth hunting. So now I don't own a dog. I do not like confrontation. Antler hunters who lease ground, and landowners, do have the right to say no. Can't have it any other way. It is a real shame that antler hunters get so fearful that somebody else will shoot a big deer however. I don ' t h ave a clue why they think a broke off deer hound will run "their" deer onto another property. Deer ignore hounds that are not chasing them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938363
Indiana
C
concrete man Offline
trapper
concrete man  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
I have dogs now and have had for 40 plus years .dogs now days are more for competition my experience is if you let them run loose they learn to hunt . but they hunt everything so be prepared to do a lot of correcting but you know that.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: danny clifton] #6938399
07/22/20 10:58 AM
07/22/20 10:58 AM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Getting hard to run hounds here. The antler hunters get real bad upset if your dog gets on their leased property. Here in KS they have to let you get your dog if you contact the landowner but you can get a trespass ticket. Few years back a guy not far from here shot some coyote hounds. He said they were bothering his cattle and so it was decided he was within his rights.
I have plenty of permissions but a dog can be in the next section so fast nonhunters can not believe it. A dog hits a track he is going where ever the quarry goes if he is worth hunting. So now I don't own a dog. I do not like confrontation. Antler hunters who lease ground, and landowners, do have the right to say no. Can't have it any other way. It is a real shame that antler hunters get so fearful that somebody else will shoot a big deer however. I don ' t h ave a clue why they think a broke off deer hound will run "their" deer onto another property. Deer ignore hounds that are not chasing them.

We have the same trouble here Danny. So much leased land for deer hunting its hard to run a hound. I have a couple of places that I have permission on that are big enough to run my hounds on but gone are the days when you could dump your dogs and not have to worry about which way they go or where you are going to have to go to get them back. Oklahoma used to have a law that if your dogs passed onto a place you didn't have permission on you had the legal rights to go retrieve them without having to inform the landowner. But the antler hunters got that changed. Now if your dogs tree on land you don't have permission on you have to contact the landowner and ask him if you can retrieve them. If he says "no" then you have to call the game warden and have them come help you retrieve your dog's. Not the kinda phone calls a guy wants to make in the middle of the night.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938415
07/22/20 11:20 AM
07/22/20 11:20 AM
higginsville, mo
H
headache73 Offline
trapper
headache73  Offline
trapper
H

higginsville, mo
That's one reason I quit after 20 years, the other being health issues. Folks calling the law on you, getting shot at, trying to sneak into barns without any lights on lol. My Dad tells me stories about the 50's, said you could walk past houses in the middle of the night, owners would come out and offer you something to drink and ask if you got any coons. Times sure have changed

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938429
07/22/20 11:35 AM
07/22/20 11:35 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Have coon hunted with hounds since '70 and had my own hounds since '74. Still have 7 and 1 terrier. Never been w/o one.... Even in college...Will say something here that experienced hound men will already know but the fellows with less experience may not.... " If you DON'T allow a good hound (or dog) to teach you about its quarry, you will NEVER be as good of a furharvester (trapper, caller etc.) as you could be. A dog (even a junk runner) will show you where critters cross fields and roads, where they are feeding (and on what), where they seek shelter and a host of other traits that you won't find by merely following tracks. You have to be open and watchful---------eyes, ears, and now GPS of your dog's hunting and translate that into the animal behavior he/she is seeking and trailing. Silent or semi-silent dogs aren't as good of teachers (at night) as an open trailer and the emphasis seems to be in the kill and not the chase so you miss a lot of that exposure they are giving. Whether its a red bone down in the river bottom, a lab snooting pheasants in the cattails, a pointer locked solid on a covey, or a terrier working a brush pile,,,,,,, take the time to see and hear what they are saying about their pursuit....................... my take after 46 years of being "dog poor"........................................... the mike.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938446
07/22/20 11:51 AM
07/22/20 11:51 AM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline
trapper
MAArcher  Offline
trapper
M

MA
Anyone ever hunt coons with a German Wirehair Pointer / Deutsch-Drahthaar? I'd love to get mine to do it. How'd you train them to be persistent on the track? My dog would love to get hold of a coon but he tracks to fast and if he runs off a track he just keeps going to see what else he can find. How do I get him to want to stick with a track and and bay at the tree?

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938452
07/22/20 11:55 AM
07/22/20 11:55 AM
West coast Wisconsin
50fps Offline
trapper
50fps  Offline
trapper

West coast Wisconsin
Never had my own hounds, but spent a lot of time when I was younger running them with my uncles in the Wisconsin river valley. We had access to a lot of land, through friends and family. One of my uncles even had a couple mules to ride in the bluff country.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938455
07/22/20 11:56 AM
07/22/20 11:56 AM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
I used to have a yellow lab that hated coon, had on one coon hunt with other dogs and he caught on. He trailed silent, but would bark treed, he had a different bark about coon, I could tell when he had a coon treed, just by his bark . He more than payed for his dog chow LOL
Dennis

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938560
07/22/20 01:29 PM
07/22/20 01:29 PM
NE Indiana
L
Larry Hall Offline
trapper
Larry Hall  Offline
trapper
L

NE Indiana
[Linked Image][/img]

I've hunted hounds most of my life.. Hide hunt, competition hunt and pleasure hunt.. Probably 150, 200 nights a year... Good luck with your hound and enjoy!!
http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by Larry Hall; 07/22/20 01:31 PM.
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: Larry Hall] #6938589
07/22/20 01:50 PM
07/22/20 01:50 PM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
[Linked Image]

Will "tree" bark every bluegill that comes by so far. Still working on this squirrel thing but he's still a baby.

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938726
07/22/20 04:11 PM
07/22/20 04:11 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Great looking dogs everybody. Love those walkers Larry. One day if I ever get rich enough I'm going to own another house of lipper bred walker dog. They were the best hounds I ever hunted behind and I have hunted behind all shapes, colors and sizes. When I was in school and my dad was trading dogs really heavy we hunted every night. Dad would bring home 4 or 5 new dogs every weekend and we would hunt them all week. The ones that showed promise stayed and the ones who didn't went down the road the following weekend. When you hunt that many different dogs you become no stranger to skunks, possums, deer, hogs, coyotes and armadillos among other things like dogs that tree squirrels at night and dogs that bay beavers. It was somewhat of a blessing in the later years when we just settled down with a couple of good walkers to pleasure hunt and got away from the trade dogs. I'm pretty excited about how my blueticks are coming along and can't wait to get them in the woods. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938882
07/22/20 06:50 PM
07/22/20 06:50 PM
NE Indiana
L
Larry Hall Offline
trapper
Larry Hall  Offline
trapper
L

NE Indiana

Davisfur,

Oddly enough that hound of mine is a grandson to Lipper. Lol has his mouth and athleticism.. the female he’s out of is a semen dog directly off him.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938905
07/22/20 07:10 PM
07/22/20 07:10 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
Ohio Boy, that is a funny story, lol... I could just picture it.

Wife aka the mike, that's really good advice. Seems like hunting with dogs could make you an altogether better sportsman and trapper if you pay attention.

LOL Danimal, bluegill dog supreme, lmao

Danny and Davisfur, I'm fortunate in that respect. There's tons of woods around the house here, and no one would really care if you get your dog off it, most of the landowners don't even live around here. In addition to that, I have thousands of acres of national forest land to hunt on. It's all full of creeks and small lakes, too. Only worry with the public land is otter trappers, but I guess that's just a chance you have to take. Coon season opens before trapping season does so there's times to hunt those lakes and creeks before people start trapping them. Once season opens I'll stick to the oak woods not near the lakes.

Love all the pics!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938930
07/22/20 07:30 PM
07/22/20 07:30 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Hunting animals with other animals is just wrong and sick not only for the animals you hunt but those poor dogs that you hunt with, you sir and all like you should be ashamed. I can't think of a more repulsive thing you could do than hunt animal with another animal I'm just so disgusted with this behavior and oops wait a minute I'm not a liberal carry on gentlemen.

Seriously I have never owned a dog for hunting but some of my friends had some really good bird dogs that I had a chance to hunt with and they were quite impressive, had a great time when I went with them. I got most of my pheasants with one in particular and I always bought a bag of treats for that dog when I went , never once came back empty handed, I think it was an English pointer but I could be wrong. Don't know much about hunting dogs but I know when they are doing good.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6938943
07/22/20 07:39 PM
07/22/20 07:39 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Boy yotetrapper it would be nice to have that kind of access unfortunately most of the land around here is divided into sections and quarters and 80's and its not uncommon to have 2-3 different owners on one mile section of land. Coincidentally my bluetick came to western Oklahoma all the way from your home state!

Larry Hall I was almost certain from your pictures that your dog had lipper blood in his veins. It seems to me that that bloodline just has its own look that can't hardly be faked or duplicated. Our first lipper dog was a male dog that had been trained on hogs. After hunting him for several years we ended up acquiring his mother and his half brother who had been started on coon. That dog turned out to be the straightest most enjoyable dog I've ever had the honor of hunting behind. He was tight mouthed on track which made for short races and would blow the top out of a tree when he treed. Hunted him for 8 years before he started having seizures in the woods and never saw him treeing under anything that wasn't a coon.

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: headache73] #6939059
07/22/20 08:58 PM
07/22/20 08:58 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by headache73
Nice! Always liked redbones, but I hunted blueticks. Good luck with her

Blue ticks here as well but been about 20 years since I last coon hunted.Sure miss it.

Nevada bound
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939073
07/22/20 09:05 PM
07/22/20 09:05 PM
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline
trapper
Tommie  Offline
trapper
T

middle tennessee
Was house’s clint the sire of house’s Lipper ? Back when I hunted years ago I hunted with a guy that had a littermate to Clint . I ended up buying a pup that was Lipper’s bloodline that was one of the best dogs I’ve ever owned by the time she was 9 months olds she was treeing by herself and holding split trees and not moving till you got there . But something happened to her when she was about 1 1/2 years old she went bat sh$& crazy you couldn’t catch her at all , if someone was with me she would leave the tree and a lot of the times she would leave when she seen the light coming never understood it I never laid a hand on her . My oldest son has a walker female now that has the Lipper bloodline in her , and I can see some of the same actions in her . The blue dog ( Blue 5year old ) his sire is a half brother to one of the Tennessee volunteers mascot And the bottom dog is my son walker 4 year old female(Susie )[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tommie; 07/22/20 09:46 PM.
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939103
07/22/20 09:23 PM
07/22/20 09:23 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I belong to a club in Eastern NC. We lease land to hunt deer. Hunting deer with dogs is legal but becoming rarer every year. Hounds used to always ruin our Saturday hunts, but we co-existed. Some hound guys were arrogant SOBs and others were very nice.

Used to coon hunt as a teen. Haven’t done it in over 50 years.

Off topic: had a blue heeler for 14 years that would track a wounded deer. What a pleasure she gave me when she found someone’s trophy.

Last edited by charles; 07/22/20 09:27 PM.
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939154
07/22/20 09:50 PM
07/22/20 09:50 PM
higginsville, mo
H
headache73 Offline
trapper
headache73  Offline
trapper
H

higginsville, mo
I've watched hounds run right by deer and the deer just watched them go by. Buddy and I cut the dogs one night, standing by the truck getting our lights and Garmins on. Heard something behind us, a huge buck walked across the road 40 yards from the truck and walked calmly straight towards the dogs which had opened and were blowing down the ditch. I've been around dogs that would run deer, but just being in the same timber, in my opinion, doesn't bother the deer too much

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939167
07/22/20 09:55 PM
07/22/20 09:55 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
I'll second that headache. Unless the dogs are actively running deer the deer really never pay them much attention. But you can't convince the big money antler hunters from the city of that fact.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread