No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Anyone Familiar with Lamoureux Knives #6938791
07/22/20 05:00 PM
07/22/20 05:00 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline OP
trapper
EdP  Offline OP
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
They are a Canadian company "Lamoureux & Sons" (www.lamoureuxandsons.com) and make semi-custom knives of a stainless steel specially developed for knives that is supposed to be excellent. I bought a knife from them a few months ago but can't seem to get a decent (ie: shaving sharp) edge on it. The edge isn't rolling over as far as I can tell, and I've spent many hours at the stones with it but it just hasn't gotten sharp. If anybody has any experience with them I'd like to hear it.

Re: Anyone Familiar with Lamoureux Knives [Re: EdP] #6938793
07/22/20 05:05 PM
07/22/20 05:05 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
When sharpening hardened steels, the cutting edge will develop what's called a "Wire Edge" that will "Roll Over" on you. use a piece of hard wood or Brass/Aluminum, and drag the cutting edge lightly on it to break it off.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Anyone Familiar with Lamoureux Knives [Re: EdP] #6938832
07/22/20 05:58 PM
07/22/20 05:58 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline OP
trapper
EdP  Offline OP
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I guess I should have said that I am no novice at sharpening knives. Some of my harder carbon steel knives have taken quite a lot of effort to get sharp, but this one is challenging to the point that it makes me wonder if the steel was properly quenched. On the other hand, I have had custom blacksmithed knives that were not quenched properly for their entire length and the part that didn't get hardened would roll the edge, and I don't see that happening with this one.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread