No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
"green tip" bullets - good idea? #6940767
07/24/20 09:32 AM
07/24/20 09:32 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I've been working a long time now to process some range brass. Now, I have a goodly supply of .223/5.56 cases all prepped and ready for powder and bullet.

I'm ready to buy some bullets in bulk and wondering what bullet to get. I usually use 50 gr. soft points in a very mild load but that was for hunting rounds in a coyote hunting rifle. I have plenty of those on hand and don't need any more. These new reloads will be for use in my Savage MSR (AR15 style). I will use them for target and shooting practice and for my "minuteman" rifle. Sometimes I use that ammo for informal high-power competition So, I'm thinking of using a heavier bullet and FMJ.

I found a good deal on some FMJ bullets, 69 grains, I think they were, but they are steel core - supposedly like the green tip NATO style bullet. I'm not sure I want to use a steel core core bullet instead of just the plain old copper jacketed lead bullet.

Does anyone know anything about the peculiarities of the steel core FMJ "green tip" bullets? Is there anything special about the way you load them or any drawbacks to shooting them? Any advantages to them?

I know some places restrict the use of steel core bullets (indoor ranges or areas prone to forest fires). I don't ever plan to shoot in those locations so I'm not too concerned about that. If I need ammo for those locations I have plenty of other lead, soft point ammo I can use.

Any intel or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6940785
07/24/20 09:49 AM
07/24/20 09:49 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
A steel core 69 grain bullet is gonna be long. You are going to need a real fast twist to stabalize it.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6940968
07/24/20 12:10 PM
07/24/20 12:10 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
SS109 green tips are light armor piercing rounds.

Not sure if that helps or hurts for your intended use.

NRA benefactor member
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6941004
07/24/20 12:34 PM
07/24/20 12:34 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline OP
trapper
Kart29  Offline OP
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
A steel core 69 grain bullet is gonna be long. You are going to need a real fast twist to stabalize it.

That's a good point. My MSR is 1:9 twist I think. But my NEF Handi-Rifle is considerably slower than that, I believe. I'd hate to make a bunch of rounds that would be useless in one of my two guns, even if I don't ever plan to use these in my hunting rifle.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6941020
07/24/20 12:43 PM
07/24/20 12:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
because you have a light tip compared to lead and not completely concentric they tend not to be as accurate.

the concept is similar to the Brit 303 MK4 ammo it put an aluminum tip inside the FMJ copper jacket then used a lead base fill of the bullet a heavy tail , light nose as soon as it hits meat it turns end for end and rides through tail first.

the green tip does the same thing but because it is given a good spin from the fast twist barrel it stays going strait long enough that the green steel tip would have a chance to penetrate light armor before turning 180 and plowing through the target backwards and separating.

if you need to punch holes in light armor knock your self out

if nothing you shoot is armored soft points are my preference on anything that is living that I want to be not living.

my choice since Soft points for reloading add about a penny maybe 2 to the cost over FMJ one load , one bullet , to feed the 223 rifles.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6941046
07/24/20 12:55 PM
07/24/20 12:55 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Steel core of the penitrator type are seldom as accurate as solid core ones simply because it’s almost impossible to get the steel penitrator perfectly centered so throwing it off, now copper jacketed steel core ones can be just as accurate as their lead core brothers

I shoot a lot of copper jacketed steel core bulk bullets as range and practice rounds and mostly they work just fine, some are ever very accurate, but if I am working up a high accuracy round I am going to pick a well made premium one no matter if it is steel or lead core, now a hunting round might not get a high cost premium Bullet but it’s going to most likely be of better quality then those that come in a bulk pack

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6941109
07/24/20 01:41 PM
07/24/20 01:41 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by Kart29
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

That's a good point. My MSR is 1:9 twist I think. But my NEF Handi-Rifle is considerably slower than that, I believe. I'd hate to make a bunch of rounds that would be useless in one of my two guns, even if I don't ever plan to use these in my hunting rifle.

Not 100% sure on this but I think a 69 grain lead bullet is the heaviest that you can shoot out of a 1:9 twist. Those steel core bullets are going to be longer.

Are you sure they are 69 grains?

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6941114
07/24/20 01:43 PM
07/24/20 01:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the bulk ammo green tip steel tip ammo is typically 62gr

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6941133
07/24/20 01:58 PM
07/24/20 01:58 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Don't like the idea of putting steel down a rifle barrel even copper coated battle rifles generally have oversize bores placing function over everything else I've read that when Ruger came out with the mini-14 it hat a slightly oversize bore believing folks would be shooting 5.56 nato rounds thru it Google the mini-14 history

olden tyred
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: Kart29] #6941184
07/24/20 02:38 PM
07/24/20 02:38 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Black tips are armor piercing. Green tips are "penetator" steel core. Difference is the hardness of the steel.

The only problem I see with steel core is you can't shoot steel targets with them.

-Ryan
Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: jeff karsten] #6941287
07/24/20 03:56 PM
07/24/20 03:56 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Don't like the idea of putting steel down a rifle barrel even copper coated battle rifles generally have oversize bores placing function over everything else I've read that when Ruger came out with the mini-14 it hat a slightly oversize bore believing folks would be shooting 5.56 nato rounds thru it Google the mini-14 history

Ruger came out and said the Mini-14 was 5.56 safe as they had made the chamber more generous than a standard 223

Re: "green tip" bullets - good idea? [Re: maintenanceguy] #6941298
07/24/20 04:07 PM
07/24/20 04:07 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Black tips are armor piercing. Green tips are "penetator" steel core. Difference is the hardness of the steel.

The only problem I see with steel core is you can't shoot steel targets with them.

You can if you want to put holes in them, lol

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread