No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: Davisfur] #6939190
07/22/20 10:05 PM
07/22/20 10:05 PM
higginsville, mo
H
headache73 Offline
trapper
headache73  Offline
trapper
H

higginsville, mo
Originally Posted by Davisfur
I'll second that headache. Unless the dogs are actively running deer the deer really never pay them much attention. But you can't convince the big money antler hunters from the city of that fact.

That's the truth, I guess I understand where they're coming from, but they should go along a few times and see what actually happens in the timber. I believe it would change their minds

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939224
07/22/20 10:24 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
I would agree with you on that as well

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939225
middle tennessee
T
Tommie Offline
trapper
Tommie  Offline
trapper
T

middle tennessee
A lot of people around here won’t let you coon hunt once deer season opens and it goes the same way with trapping but once deer season is over they don’t care .

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939436
07/23/20 07:57 AM
07/23/20 07:57 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
i am a walker man though and though
dang legs and fake body parts wont let me night hunt anymore and i sure do miss it.
great looking pup ya got ang.

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6939725
07/23/20 12:17 PM
07/23/20 12:17 PM
NE Indiana
L
Larry Hall Offline
trapper
Larry Hall  Offline
trapper
L

NE Indiana

Tommie, Lipper was out of Clint per the pedigree.. Big deer antlers have just about ruined coon, fox, coyote and small game hunting here in the Midwest.. Hardly anyplace a young man or Kid can walk out the back door anymore and cut a dog loose or even jump shoot rabbits.. 14 cell phone activated trail cams would go off in the first mile and it'd look like a swat team rolling in.. Truly, we as hunters are killing our own sport.. My opinion anyways.. I have a number of farms I can still hunt Dec-Sept 1 and then I'm done during the hide season.. Primarily hunt state ground after that. Thank God we have a good amount..

Angela, you may live in one of the best kept secrets in the hunting world.. MS is a sports person's paradise.. I lived in Columbus a few years and really couldn't believe how few people and how much open ground..I've still got a number of dear friends there and travel back several times a year. Our son stayed on in Columbus, but just transferred to Corpus Christi TX so our visits will get less and less I fear. Great memories!!

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6940400
07/23/20 10:15 PM
07/23/20 10:15 PM
Lakeland, Louisiana
C
CajunMan Offline
trapper
CajunMan  Offline
trapper
C

Lakeland, Louisiana
I hunt treeing walkers. I’ve had them all at one time or another, but to me the walkers always start faster and there’s less trouble with trash. This was my dog Sam. He was out of My Only Reezen. I’ve always heard people talk about that once in a lifetime dog, and he was truly mine. I had taken him out of the pen about two months ago and put him on a chain under an oak tree so he could lay in the shade. Somehow he got loose and went in the road and got hit by a car in front of my house. He was a supper smart hound and a coon dog to the core. I’m going to miss him for a long time. [Linked Image]

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: Larry Hall] #6940426
07/23/20 10:32 PM
07/23/20 10:32 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Larry Hall

Angela, you may live in one of the best kept secrets in the hunting world.. MS is a sports person's paradise.. I lived in Columbus a few years and really couldn't believe how few people and how much open ground..I've still got a number of dear friends there and travel back several times a year. Our son stayed on in Columbus, but just transferred to Corpus Christi TX so our visits will get less and less I fear. Great memories!!

Yes it is. There is a lot of land taken up by deer leases just like anywhere else, but all the nearby public land kind of makes up for that. They also have really great hunting and trapping laws....or rather lack of laws, lol. The hunting and trapping laws is why we chose MS over the neighboring states such as AL, TN, and AR.

Sorry about your dog, CajunMan. The redbone in my profile pic is tied for my favorite dog along with my childhood best friend. 2 years ago at Christmastime she left the house to go hunting and never came back. I'd never owned a tracking collar in my life up until that point, but I have one now.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 07/23/20 10:35 PM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6940438
07/23/20 10:41 PM
07/23/20 10:41 PM
Lakeland, Louisiana
C
CajunMan Offline
trapper
CajunMan  Offline
trapper
C

Lakeland, Louisiana
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Larry Hall

Yes it is. There is a lot of land taken up by deer leases just like anywhere else, but all the nearby public land kind of makes up for that. They also have really great hunting and trapping laws....or rather lack of laws, lol. The hunting and trapping laws is why we chose MS over the neighboring states such as AL, TN, and AR.

Sorry about your dog, CajunMan. The redbone in my profile pic is tied for my favorite dog along with my childhood best friend. 2 years ago at Christmastime she left the house to go hunting and never came back. I'd never owned a tracking collar in my life up until that point, but I have one now.

Buddy I hunted a lot without a tracking system years ago, just like everyone else, but I wouldn’t turn one loose now without one for sure. Best of luck with your Redbone. I’ve hunted with some good ones of those too!

Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6942064
07/25/20 09:27 AM
07/25/20 09:27 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Coon hunting is a ton of fun. Have owned some good hounds over the years, and some not so good.

Good and bad come in all breeds. I think it really depends on what you are looking for, and honestly what color you like. Research the bloodlines of your breed of choice; traits, styles and size can vary within a breed. All depends on how they have been bred.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: Howell Bros] #6942238
07/25/20 12:00 PM
07/25/20 12:00 PM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline
trapper
B

Missouri
Originally Posted by Howell Bros
Been hunting walkers for a while. Never competition hunt. Just keeping myself in shape chasing up and down hills.

You pack unskinned coons back to the truck?

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: Davisfur] #6942252
07/25/20 12:12 PM
07/25/20 12:12 PM
Missouri
B
Broomchaser Offline
trapper
Broomchaser  Offline
trapper
B

Missouri
Originally Posted by Davisfur
Great looking dogs everybody. Love those walkers Larry. One day if I ever get rich enough I'm going to own another house of lipper bred walker dog. They were the best hounds I ever hunted behind and I have hunted behind all shapes, colors and sizes. When I was in school and my dad was trading dogs really heavy we hunted every night. Dad would bring home 4 or 5 new dogs every weekend and we would hunt them all week. The ones that showed promise stayed and the ones who didn't went down the road the following weekend. When you hunt that many different dogs you become no stranger to skunks, possums, deer, hogs, coyotes and armadillos among other things like dogs that tree squirrels at night and dogs that bay beavers. It was somewhat of a blessing in the later years when we just settled down with a couple of good walkers to pleasure hunt and got away from the trade dogs. I'm pretty excited about how my blueticks are coming along and can't wait to get them in the woods. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those fly tags work great.

Get the US out of the UN and the UN out of the US.
Re: Coon Hunting Thread [Re: yotetrapper30] #6942275
07/25/20 12:38 PM
07/25/20 12:38 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
I've hunted most all of the breeds out there but my favorite are walkers.we were running young dogs one night in a standing cornfield. the dogs had opened and were moving the track towards us.we had a older gentlemen with us and he was leaning against a walnut tree. I told him you better move because that coon is headed for this tree. he just laughed and stayed where he was, few minutes later here came the coon went right over the top of his shoes and up the tree. another time we were moving to another hunting spot driving down the road and 2 coon ran across in front of us. we pulled over and were going to let the dogs out when I noticed the coon ran up a electrical pole. the bottom one kept pushing the top one up until they touched the wires and got electrocuted. we laughed and said we didn't waste any bullets on those 2. the old boy is 80 years old now and when I talk to him and we get to talking about coonhunting those 2 stories always get rehashed over and we still have a good laugh. his son and I still hunt together. ive always liked a silent dog on track with a good nose. got a 4 year old walker male out of hardwood breeding that's silent ,deadly accurate and really nice tree dog.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread