No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Change for the better? #6947335
07/30/20 04:22 AM
07/30/20 04:22 AM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline OP
trapper
SwampFox  Offline OP
trapper
S

Maryland
Hello all. My name is Cary Hambleton (Swampfox).

I wrote this because of what Bogmaster said in his post "How this forum has changed" and some of the responses I found were sad IMO. The ones who commented positively were in the majority and I believe this tells me a lot. I agree with what he wrote 100% and I believe he is spot on. Having fun with friends is one thing...being disrespect and attacking folks is out of line IMO.

I have posted on here, however more so in the past.
I sent a PM to Mr. Dobbins (a while ago) and asked him about some of my observations since I have been on "his" website. He kindly responded and I would like to share some of what I shared with him and some things that have been on my mind since communicating with him.

What I have seen here, that I greatly enjoy is that there is a wealth of information (the BEST trapping site there is IMO!). I have learned a lot and I am still learning from the wisdom, knowledge and tremendous experience from folks from all walks of life. I see folks helping others and it is powerful.

I first started trapping at our cattle ranch near Whitehall, MT ('75). I was fishing on our slough (Brook Trout) and found a Victor 1 1/2 LS. I searched the slough and found 11 more. I felt like I found gold. One had the remains of a mink. I saw a FFG magazine at a book store and bought it. Read it cover to cover many times. I was hooked. I have trapped off and on ever since. My favorite set is a blind set (for the challenge and the reward). I hunt, fish, trap and do anything I can to get outdoors. (A little info of how I got into trapping)

The is my opinion through reading a lot of the forums and some interaction on the Trap Shed and Trap Talk.

I see TOO many GREAT, AWESOME, INFORMATIVE posts get shot down. The "great responses and information" is gone (lost). Why? Certain folk appear to want to either hijack it with disrespect or outright "keyboard fanatics" go off and attack people with words that I question, if most would say to someone face to face. I say this because I believe in and do my best (with God's help) to respect others (YES, I am a believer, however I do not believe it is right to force Him on anyone. I do my best to "live" my life. I MAKE mistakes, however I do my best to make it right and honestly look at what I need to do better and get to it. That being said, I can't help but wonder WHY these folks who want to be "disrectful" to others don't PM each other and quit ruining GREAT, AWESOME and INFORMATIVE threads?

I am politely asking that when this is done that if Mr. Dobbins, Moderators and The EXECUTIONER would deal with the folks doing it (could be dealt with) and PLEASE SAVE the threads, so the rest of us could enjoy and benefit from them. I know that I am not alone on this. This is NOT me attacking anyone (Mr. Dobbins, Moderators or the EXECUTIONER!!!!!) I love coming on Trapperman.com. FYI part of the reason I PMed Mr. Dobbins was to ask if the executioner was real and what he did. If you want to know what he said then please ask him. I think it was pretty profound.

Part of the reason I am writing this is because I believe this site HAS TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON NEW TRAPPERS (young and old alike). I care about what is going on with the present and future of trapping. If more of the younger generation does not get involved in a "positive" experience, then I don't see much of a future for trapping. WHY do I say this? Well "KIDS WELCOME!" IS THE VERY FIRST THING UNDER MR. PAUL DOBBINS LOGO! I have read some things that just sadden me that "adults" (?!?!?) have written on here and I have actually addressed two that I read with a polite, but firm response. Meaning: is it possible to assist moderators in calling people out on disrespect with polite yet firm responses??? I see some "adults" who seem to be proud of trashing some of Mr. Dobbins "No Profanity" and "No Avoiding Profanity Filter". They brag about it or make fun of it. No, I do not have any children, however I do share with NEW trappers (young and old) about Trapperman.com, as well as ANYONE who has interest in ANY of the informational forums on Mr. Dobbins site. I believe that there is no other site that comes close to offering what this site offers and the knowledge found here. I have asked myself why some folks seem not to care about and honor the few requests (rules) that Mr. Dobbins has for us to follow (respect?) to use (be a part of) "his" site. I learned at an early age to observe sign in nature and to also to observe people. What they say, what they do and what they don't do. Why is it that there is so much disrespect and outright stupidy? Would you really want "KIDS" to read "some" of the garbage written on here? How about the NEW trapper?

Just my thoughts and observations. If there is truth to what I wrote, then please let us all make a difference for the good and positive. If you don't agree, then I am willing to "respectfully" dialogue with you. I actually enjoy learning from others viewpoints. FYI. I do NOT do disrespect at all!!!

I learned long ago that what I say is VERY important, however I have also learned that HOW I say what I say is also important AND sometimes even MORE important!

People (as a rule) do NOT care how much you know, until they KNOW how much you care!

I see an awful lot of disrespect going on in this world. It concerns me. I have learned that a person can NOT transmit something they haven't received. What people transmit reveals a lot IMO. (what they are through words and actions is important and can be healthy or unhealthy).

Is it too much to ask that we as members of a trapping community be more respectful? I believe that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch, however I also believe the opposite to be true as well. Each of us has the ability to make a difference for the better. It is a choice.

I hope that TRAPPERMAN.COM becomes even larger and has an even greater influence on our way of life (for the present and future). I see that united we stand and divided we fall. I know that this is Mr. Dobbins site and I respect whatever decisions he makes, however is not this site also dedicated to his father? My personal belief is that more respect is in order. I truly believe this will bring more unity and less division.

I thank you for your time and patience.

God bless you and yours and happy trails, Cary (Swampfox)

Last edited by Swampfox; 07/30/20 04:26 AM.
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947431
07/30/20 07:45 AM
07/30/20 07:45 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice post.Thanks for sharing.

Nevada bound
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947515
07/30/20 09:06 AM
07/30/20 09:06 AM
EC Indiana
M
MikeC Offline
trapper
MikeC  Offline
trapper
M

EC Indiana
Just what I would say if I was smart enough to put my thoughts into words. mike

Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947521
07/30/20 09:10 AM
07/30/20 09:10 AM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
Dis agreeing with someone who has a difference of opinion is ok in my view as long as it it kept civil. Giving someone a hard time because they live in canada like the packers or have a southern accent or something like that is ok. Openly mocking a member with a disability who is down on his luck who cant spell correctly. Who you've never met is unacceptable.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Change for the better? [Re: larrywaugh] #6947529
07/30/20 09:19 AM
07/30/20 09:19 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by larrywaugh
Dis agreeing with someone who has a difference of opinion is ok in my view as long as it it kept civil. Giving someone a hard time because they live in canada like the packers or have a southern accent or something like that is ok. Openly mocking a member with a disability who is down on his luck who cant spell correctly. Who you've never met is unacceptable.

So look out if you're Canadian, use the expression "eh" occasionally, have a disability and don't spell particularly well.

Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947535
07/30/20 09:26 AM
07/30/20 09:26 AM
NB, Canada
MySide 🦝 Offline
trapper
MySide 🦝  Offline
trapper

NB, Canada
I completely agree with you Cary.

All for the Greater Glory of God
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947536
07/30/20 09:28 AM
07/30/20 09:28 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Good post. I actually had much thought regarding kids/youth, especially one who could possibly be gay, while reading the Jack Daniels thread. I’m pretty sure much of what they read would push them away from the site and likely trapping too as well as adding emotional stress.

Last edited by rvsask; 07/30/20 09:29 AM.
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947539
07/30/20 09:34 AM
07/30/20 09:34 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Swamp: Just from a logistical standpoint it sometimes gets to be such a can of worms trying to remove an offending post. It's easy enough to remove one, but the difficulty arises when the post has been up for several hours before someone complains about it. By that time several others may have "quoted" the offending post and now that text is mingled inside several other posts on the thread.

At that point it is simpler, and prudent, to delete the entire thread. I think we all try to get do the minimum amount of pruning that is reasonable and still maintain the original thread.

But I DO understand your point.

Mean As Nails
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947552
07/30/20 09:51 AM
07/30/20 09:51 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Thanks for sharing.cary.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947562
07/30/20 10:04 AM
07/30/20 10:04 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

As a Canadian, i take being made fun of very seriously.

Go ahead and make fun of us! Heck, we laugh at ourselves! Life is too short to be taken totally seriously.

That said, if you don't know where the line is, you should probably abstain. I would never make fun of someone on here for improper grammar unless they knew for sure it was all in fun. Its only funny if both parties laugh. That's my take anyway.

I actually made a post yesterday in fun, and later asked it to be removed since I wasn't sure it was heading in a good direction. If you don't like the topic of a post, then don't comment, but I hate when a truly informative post gets negated by bickering, arguing, partisanship, or whatever. A time and a place for both I think.

Re: Change for the better? [Re: rvsask] #6947565
07/30/20 10:07 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by rvsask
Good post. I actually had much thought regarding kids/youth, especially one who could possibly be gay, while reading the Jack Daniels thread. I’m pretty sure much of what they read would push them away from the site and likely trapping too as well as adding emotional stress.

I really don't see many gay boys as wanting to be trappers, lol. They might chip their nail polish.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947566
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I respect your opinions. I do think that sometimes you can use sarcasm and not be disrespectful, but many people cannot take sarcasm without feeling disrespected. Take care and thank you for your thoughts

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947570
07/30/20 10:10 AM
07/30/20 10:10 AM
NW Mo
M
Michael Lippold Offline
trapper
Michael Lippold  Offline
trapper
M

NW Mo
Agreed, Thanks for sharing swampfox

Nothing wrong with being ornery but I do agree some days it goes a little far

Re: Change for the better? [Re: yotetrapper30] #6947580
07/30/20 10:17 AM
07/30/20 10:17 AM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I really don't see many gay boys as wanting to be trappers, lol. They might chip their nail polish.

Same could be said for women. Definitely fewer than men. Wouldn't want them to chip their nail polish either..

Point is, we don't go about making fun of women and dissuading them from trapping. If a gay person wanted to learn to trap, Id take them out on the line.

Perhaps a very progressive idea, but how much are we willing to change to keep trapping relevant?

Re: Change for the better? [Re: yotetrapper30] #6947595
07/30/20 10:28 AM
07/30/20 10:28 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Sadly, a young male homosexual might have a real passion for pursuing trapping but is most likely to be dissuaded due to this type of misinformation and fear of prejudice.

Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947599
07/30/20 10:31 AM
07/30/20 10:31 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Good morning Cary. I have thought highly of you since I've been here, you always carry yourself well. You said in your post that you welcome respectful dialogue for those that disagree so if you'd like, shoot me a PM. Thanks,

Jeff

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947600
07/30/20 10:32 AM
07/30/20 10:32 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Not to disrespect coonman 220 but I truly believe he feeds off the attention whether It's good or bad. I don't believe he would continue to post If his feelings were being hurt. But It does get a bit over the top at times. maybe I'm wrong In my assessment but you can take It for what It's worth.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947602
07/30/20 10:35 AM
07/30/20 10:35 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
We know the real deal yotetrapper30..
You comment was correct, they don't exist.

Member - FTA
Re: Change for the better? [Re: Hutchy] #6947607
07/30/20 10:38 AM
07/30/20 10:38 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Originally Posted by Hutchy
As a Canadian, i take being made fun of very seriously.

Go ahead and make fun of us! Heck, we laugh at ourselves! Life is too short to be taken totally seriously.

That said, if you don't know where the line is, you should probably abstain. I would never make fun of someone on here for improper grammar unless they knew for sure it was all in fun. Its only funny if both parties laugh. That's my take anyway.

I actually made a post yesterday in fun, and later asked it to be removed since I wasn't sure it was heading in a good direction. If you don't like the topic of a post, then don't comment, but I hate when a truly informative post gets negated by bickering, arguing, partisanship, or whatever. A time and a place for both I think.

Hutchy
How or who do you ask to get a post removed ? Sometimes you start one and it goes sideways in the first couple responses.

Re: Change for the better? [Re: SwampFox] #6947614
07/30/20 10:41 AM
07/30/20 10:41 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Look in the lower right corner of your last post. Click on REPORT and fill in the dialog box

Mean As Nails
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread