No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951028
08/01/20 09:42 PM
08/01/20 09:42 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Finster
Quite a few offed themselves. because of the crash. A different era though. Not going to happen these days. people don't have the guts or integrity. Most of the guys that offed themselves didn't lose their money, they lost their clients money. No one today would give a crap. .

Probably right about that^^

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951035
08/01/20 09:46 PM
08/01/20 09:46 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by white17

Well.....we agree that bank stocks may take it on the chin but I believe tech stocks will do better than most in that environment. Tech is a worldwide market and thus will benefit in some areas and suffer in others due to differences in exchange rates.
Energy ?????? No way. In a depression there will be even LESS demand for energy than there is currently. It may benefit a little bit because natural resources do go up when the dollar weakens but lack of demand will overwhelm any gain from inflation

Naaahhhh. White I respectively disagree. Energy will be the only stable in such an economy. Everyone needs it and it will be a stable investment but not only that, it will flourish since it is so stable. Just my opinion. .

We have already seen a huge decline in energy demand just due to the decrease on economic activity so far. It will only compound with time and less activity.
Tech , on the other hand, will be stable or increase because more people and governments will utilize it to keep things running during this pandemic. Also, tech companies are "asset light". Meaning they don't need to invest in large plant and equipment. Their products are intellectual. Not physical. Their overhead is much less than say Caterpillar who must buy steel and engines at the same time their sales are dropping

EDIT: if you mean investments in electrical utilities...........that's a different story. Yes that should remain fairly stable......unless Democrats are elected and decide to nationalize or reduce the value of regulated monopolies

Last edited by white17; 08/01/20 09:49 PM.

Mean As Nails
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951040
08/01/20 09:51 PM
08/01/20 09:51 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Many committed suicide due to depression. They lost all physical possessions and lost HOPE and belief. Depression will happen if we continue to lock down healthy people and shut down businesses. Quarantine the healthy is not the solution. The only solution to our current situation financial and health is herd immunity. Roughly 5 million world wide will die, masks are hindering mother natures balancing methods. She is fickle!

Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951046
08/01/20 09:55 PM
08/01/20 09:55 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I think "herd immunity" is pie in the sky with this virus.

Not to change the subject

Mean As Nails
Re: Depression is coming [Re: white17] #6951053
08/01/20 09:58 PM
08/01/20 09:58 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.

We have already seen a huge decline in energy demand just due to the decrease on economic activity so far. It will only compound with time and less activity.
Tech , on the other hand, will be stable or increase because more people and governments will utilize it to keep things running during this pandemic. Also, tech companies are "asset light". Meaning they don't need to invest in large plant and equipment. Their products are intellectual. Not physical. Their overhead is much less than say Caterpillar who must buy steel and engines at the same time their sales are dropping

EDIT: if you mean investments in electrical utilities...........that's a different story. Yes that should remain fairly stable......unless Democrats are elected and decide to nationalize or reduce the value of regulated monopolies

Well yes. Since I am in the field of "electrical energy" That's what I was talking about. However, all energy will come to the front. If you are talking stocks and investing, any form of energy will be the way to go. Think about it for a second. everything else will need it to get back on track.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951056
08/01/20 10:00 PM
08/01/20 10:00 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
fin,

don't listen to me, I'm clueless...

but seems to me that if economic activity slows considerably, energy demands will decrease proportionally.

Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951059
08/01/20 10:03 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

Well yes. Since I am in the field of "electrical energy" That's what I was talking about. However, all energy will come to the front. If you are talking stocks and investing, any form of energy will be the way to go. Think about it for a second. everything else will need it to get back on track.

I disagree......................and that is what makes markets work ))))))

Mean As Nails
Re: Depression is coming [Re: white marlin] #6951060
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by white marlin
fin,

don't listen to me, I'm clueless...

but seems to me that if economic activity slows considerably, energy demands will decrease proportionally.

Yes, I agree but to get back, everyone and evry factory will need what? Energy ! You're not going to do it without it. Now as far as investing goes, you need to figure out a company that won't fold. That might be tricky.

Re: Depression is coming [Re: white17] #6951064
08/01/20 10:05 PM
08/01/20 10:05 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.

Fair enough but let me ask you this question. Who will keep the lights on and the motors running in your theory?

Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951072
08/01/20 10:10 PM
08/01/20 10:10 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Huge difference between companies that generate electricity and those that explore and produce.
IF I had to make a choice of investments in the energy sector.......I would buy SO, DUK and short CVX and XOM

But I don't have to make that choice )))))))))

Mean As Nails
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Bear Tracker] #6951074
08/01/20 10:11 PM
08/01/20 10:11 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Many committed suicide due to depression. They lost all physical possessions and lost HOPE and belief. Depression will happen if we continue to lock down healthy people and shut down businesses. Quarantine the healthy is not the solution. The only solution to our current situation financial and health is herd immunity. Roughly 5 million world wide will die, masks are hindering mother natures balancing methods. She is fickle!

"We" are letting "them" lock us down. When will "we" stand up to the corruption. We won't. To many people are complying. Look at all the mask wearers for instance.

No Jab.
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951077
08/01/20 10:12 PM
08/01/20 10:12 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon

Well.....we agree that bank stocks may take it on the chin but I believe tech stocks will do better than most in that environment. Tech is a worldwide market and thus will benefit in some areas and suffer in others due to differences in exchange rates.
Energy ?????? No way. In a depression there will be even LESS demand for energy than there is currently. It may benefit a little bit because natural resources do go up when the dollar weakens but lack of demand will overwhelm any gain from inflation

Naaahhhh. White I respectively disagree. Energy will be the only stable in such an economy. Everyone needs it and it will be a stable investment but not only that, it will flourish since it is so stable. Just my opinion. .

Look into energy closely. Lots of people are not paying the bill right now. Many utilities can do nothing about it other than write it off. I work at a utility it’s creating a complete crap storm right now. Our stock has gone down after the write-offs came open, 32 million in this "hiccup" we’re experiencing right now. A full on depression, after watching currently and ‘08, would be a killer. Our demand is in the tank and people are still not paying up monthly. Government can and will dictate regulations on energy, such as, continue supply even if payments can’t or aren’t being made, kinda like eviction moratoriums. I think utilities are "stable" just not as stable as a lot of people think, just stable compared to the rest of the market like always. There will be no flourishing.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951078
08/01/20 10:13 PM
08/01/20 10:13 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI

Fair enough but let me ask you this question. Who will keep the lights on and the motors running in your theory?

Who's going to use it when people can't pay the bills for it?

No Jab.
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951081
08/01/20 10:15 PM
08/01/20 10:15 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Good point S&R !!

Directive 10-289 !! Atlas Shrugged Thus my comment about Democrats nationalizing industries

Mean As Nails
Re: Depression is coming [Re: white17] #6951082
08/01/20 10:16 PM
08/01/20 10:16 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Huge difference between companies that generate electricity and those that explore and produce.
IF I had to make a choice of investments in the energy sector.......I would buy SO, DUK and short CVX and XOM

But I don't have to make that choice )))))))))

I think we have gotten off track here a bit. I'm talking about a depression where most companies will fail. The 2nd great depression. If that would happen and you actually had some finances left to invest, what sector would you invest in. I'm not talking companies here because they probably won't exist. Beyond that. the thread was meant to be more about how you are prepared for the short term. I guess I didn't really clarify that. My bad.

Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951089
08/01/20 10:19 PM
08/01/20 10:19 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
If everything failed ????????? I think...................I would look at investing in water.

Mean As Nails
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951090
08/01/20 10:20 PM
08/01/20 10:20 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
I f the dollar collapses, who gets paid to keep the lights on and with what. People had a meltdown with toilet paper shortages, what happens when there is no food for a week in the big city, or do all these companies have stock piles of silver and gold to pay their employees.

Re: Depression is coming [Re: Rat Masterson] #6951106
08/01/20 10:35 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
I f the dollar collapses, who gets paid to keep the lights on and with what. People had a meltdown with toilet paper shortages, what happens when there is no food for a week in the big city, or do all these companies have stock piles of silver and gold to pay their employees.

Silver and gold is a hedge to preserve wealth, not pay people. Buy your propane tanks and lanterns while you can. Lol.

No Jab.
Re: Depression is coming [Re: white17] #6951107
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
If everything failed ????????? I think...................I would look at investing in water.

Or have more bullets than your neighbor. Lol

No Jab.
Re: Depression is coming [Re: Finster] #6951108
08/01/20 10:37 PM
08/01/20 10:37 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Complete failure. Sanitation in all aspects and military contracts.

Short term. Compact family unit community, beans, bullets, band-aids, booze, emergency cash/coins. Emergency money set aside for the house payment, I know they won’t turn off the lights(part of that nationalization thing White mentioned and deregulation), all other bills can take a hike.

In ‘09 we had a "snow storm". In 2-3 days the town was out of, dairy, meat and fresh fruit, not just stores but restaurants also, bundled firewood was gone, gasoline was gone. It was scary to watch people. The supply line could not get in with the hwys and surface roads closed and people could not get out. We don’t handle snow or ice well in these parts, it’s embarrassing.

The lights will stay on or get turned back on after fixing, the line crews will still be working and getting paid. Utilities have exceptionally deep pockets when it comes to paying “essential" workers, the office might not get paid but the guys on the trucks will. I guarantee though, if we don’t get paid, hopefully you have wood back up for heat cause we’ll all be gone.

Owl

Last edited by SpottedOwl; 08/01/20 10:39 PM.

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread