No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why no salt? [Re: IdahoSpud] #6956149
08/06/20 01:19 PM
08/06/20 01:19 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
If you go straight to the pickle I see no reason to salt. I have been a taxidermist for 25 years and have only had I hide slip. It was a coon that the guy had in his truck for a week. It might be horrible advice but it works for me.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Why no salt? [Re: IdahoSpud] #6956158
08/06/20 01:35 PM
08/06/20 01:35 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
Originally Posted by Taximan
Some of t worst advice I have ever heard.Carry on.

Just as confused as I was before posting this. I guess it's a highly debated topic here as well. "You need salt, you don't need salt...."

I don't understand the rationale of the salt drying out the ears nose etc quicker. If salt doesn't really "set the hair" then I see no reason to use it. You're supposed to salt after fleshing and turning the ears. If they are already turned what time is salting buying? Straight to the pickle seems like it would be quicker and safer?

Honestly air drying outside seems like it would be far quicker. All taxidermy directions say salting is a 2-3 day process where you leave it rolled up at an angle to drain fluids. Putting them on a wire stretcher with airflow has to be quicker.

Maybe this will help. I want to home tan garment style pelts at home using Rittels EZ100 garment tan.

Would you air dry, salt, or go straight to the pickle after fleshing without either?

You have to realize that a lot of this has to do with shipping, storage, and concessions to less than ideal drying conditions. With anything that's sold fur out, salting the areas around the face is extra insurance that those areas don't start growing bacteria and causing slippage as those areas are not exposed to air once flipped if you don't have a forced air system built for your furs(not the same as a fan blowing).

You have to be specific with these things, trying to conflate fur industry, bucket tanning, commercial tanning is a recipe for disaster if you don't spell out where you're going.

Re: Why no salt? [Re: larrywaugh] #6956167
08/06/20 01:47 PM
08/06/20 01:47 PM
Id
I
IdahoSpud Offline OP
trapper
IdahoSpud  Offline OP
trapper
I

Id
Originally Posted by larrywaugh
If you go straight to the pickle I see no reason to salt. I have been a taxidermist for 25 years and have only had I hide slip. It was a coon that the guy had in his truck for a week. It might be horrible advice but it works for me.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to probably avoid salting and even drying all together and see if I notice any difference.

Re: Why no salt? [Re: IdahoSpud] #6956176
08/06/20 01:57 PM
08/06/20 01:57 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
If you are going to tan it, I would flesh it when it is freshly skinned, turn the ears, split the lips and start with a good clean skin.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Why no salt? [Re: Flipper 56] #6956192
08/06/20 02:18 PM
08/06/20 02:18 PM
Id
I
IdahoSpud Offline OP
trapper
IdahoSpud  Offline OP
trapper
I

Id
Originally Posted by Flipper 56
If you are going to tan it, I would flesh it when it is freshly skinned, turn the ears, split the lips and start with a good clean skin.

That's what I have been doing. It has felt weird to do all that then salt it and dry it for several days instead of just chucking it in the pickle. Salting and drying stop bacterial growth, but so should the pickle, probably even better?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread