No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fleshing issue [Re: IdahoSpud] #6956225
08/06/20 03:04 PM
08/06/20 03:04 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
IdahoSpud, don't get discouraged from the negative aspects in some of the feedback. Folks on here will be very helpful but you have a lot to learn about preparing hides for tanning. Some on here are experts at it. Consider the big picture of what you have been told rather than just what you asked about fleshing.

*To get a proper tan you should start with a properly fleshed hide. For coyotes that means fleshed right after skinning and it's best (easiest) to skin a coyote while still warm. Other animals are different.
*You may be happy with how some of your tanned hides have come out but will see a difference if you start the process with a properly fleshed hide.
*"Fleshing" to a trapper means removing the residual meat and fat left on the hide from skinning and removing the layer of the hide called the membrane. For a coyote hide no additional "fleshing" of any sort is needed before, during, or after the tanning process to get a proper result IF you got all the membrane off before tanning. If you didn't you can work at it by taking it out of the pickle and let it dry some, then work it carefully (I've done this).
*You need more study or instruction on preparing hides and tanning hides. Keep at it and you will get it.

Re: Fleshing issue [Re: IdahoSpud] #6956230
08/06/20 03:10 PM
08/06/20 03:10 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
The badger is better.

I've been having terrible results with this Rittels Ez 100 garment tan. It's supposed to be great but so far everything I did with brush on Curatan has turned out much better. I wonder why the wet soak tan isn't penetrating like it should.

Lot of it has to do with whether you got the hides degreased properly and whether you got the hidea to the right pH, and not just as surface level. Different tans get absorbed better at different pH ranges.

Re: Fleshing issue [Re: EdP] #6956238
08/06/20 03:18 PM
08/06/20 03:18 PM
Id
I
IdahoSpud Offline OP
trapper
IdahoSpud  Offline OP
trapper
I

Id
Originally Posted by EdP
IdahoSpud, don't get discouraged from the negative aspects in some of the feedback. Folks on here will be very helpful but you have a lot to learn about preparing hides for tanning. Some on here are experts at it. Consider the big picture of what you have been told rather than just what you asked about fleshing.

*To get a proper tan you should start with a properly fleshed hide. For coyotes that means fleshed right after skinning and it's best (easiest) to skin a coyote while still warm. Other animals are different.
*You may be happy with how some of your tanned hides have come out but will see a difference if you start the process with a properly fleshed hide.
*"Fleshing" to a trapper means removing the residual meat and fat left on the hide from skinning and removing the layer of the hide called the membrane. For a coyote hide no additional "fleshing" of any sort is needed before, during, or after the tanning process to get a proper result IF you got all the membrane off before tanning. If you didn't you can work at it by taking it out of the pickle and let it dry some, then work it carefully (I've done this).
*You need more study or instruction on preparing hides and tanning hides. Keep at it and you will get it.

Thanks, I’m not discouraged. I’ve done plenty of deer, even brain tanned buckskin, but for some reason this coyote and badgers seem way harder to flesh. And apparently something isn’t working out quite right with my new tan.

900B4F89-F667-4336-A5BE-8093F4DC861C.jpeg9C87D178-B5CE-4083-A77E-BBBD6D464F4A.jpeg
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread