Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Cured hotdogs/meat products with Jello #6948430
07/30/20 09:43 PM
07/30/20 09:43 PM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline OP
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline OP
trapper
K

PA
I recently saw a you tube video where the poster cured hotdogs for fishing bait by cutting them up and putting them in a bag with jello and salt. He also used cubed chicken meat, spam, hotdogs, and a few other meats I think as the meat base. The idea was besides making the hotdog rubbery to keep it from flying off the hook, it made it a much more desirable bait. My question is have any of you tried this as a trapping bait? I bet you could use any old meat as long as its not too fatty. Honestly it would really be great if you could do it to minnows or fish chunks or something like that, but I can imagine mostly raccoons and possums being drawn to it. I imagine you could experiment with it but im not sure how well of a canine bait it would be. I bet it would be great for coons though, as I said.

Last edited by KeeperOfTheCoons; 07/31/20 10:08 PM.

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Cured hotdogs/meat products with Jello [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #6948560
07/30/20 11:41 PM
07/30/20 11:41 PM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
I don’t know but for K-9s you could get unflavored gelatin

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: Cured hotdogs/meat products with Jello [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #6951151
08/01/20 11:15 PM
08/01/20 11:15 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Fishing Folks been doing it with cut bait and minnows and weiners for decades actually.
And it’s like many baits, good for fox and coon and opossum and yotes too, any critter that likes fruit or meat.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Cured hotdogs/meat products with Jello [Re: traprjohn] #6951458
08/02/20 10:39 AM
08/02/20 10:39 AM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline OP
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline OP
trapper
K

PA
Oh cool. I will have to make a few batches and maybe see what gets to them. I imagine its a big trial and error experiment sometimes.

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Cured hotdogs/meat products with Jello [Re: KeeperOfTheCoons] #6958899
08/09/20 10:43 AM
08/09/20 10:43 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Been making catfish baits like that for years. Salt preserves and makes the flesh tougher, Jello, pectin or beef gelatin adds taste and water retardant against saturation. If you go to my fishing scent directions I tell folks with cut baits or minnows to cover (1 to 2 pounds) with a good amount of salt and add 1 teaspoon of scent and let sit in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. I have taken this bait, be it squid, fish beacon, minnows chicken what ever, and placed out in the field at test sites and the coyote, fox, coon and everything else that comes along will tear into it. depending on the amount of salt will dictate how long it will stay palatable, but then the other senses kicks in like curiosity, digging and urine urges. In my fishing baits I add a long term preservative also. I will just say this bait or lure manufacturing is just that. The target is different and attracting odors and taste will be different, sometimes. Many of my fish bear and deer scents I have been making and selling for 30 years came from Trapping lure formulations and adjusted to fit the need.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91