No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6940193
07/23/20 07:49 PM
07/23/20 07:49 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
And, Monster Toms, you might bring a needle and thread for your fur handling demo......

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6940199
07/23/20 07:55 PM
07/23/20 07:55 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

I dont leave home without it!!

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6940469
07/23/20 11:11 PM
07/23/20 11:11 PM
NW iowa
A
Arrow B Offline
trapper
Arrow B  Offline
trapper
A

NW iowa
It sure was a good time last year. Can't wait to jump in the truck and head west.
Thanks John for all you do to make this a great event.

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6943620
07/26/20 05:14 PM
07/26/20 05:14 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Arrow B, Thanks for making the trip again. And, I can't take all the credit. There are a lot of people, including my family and several friends that step up and make this event happen. It's a really busy 2-3 days for us, but to see all the familiar faces show up and get together, makes it all worthwhile. I've been slowly planning this event for 20 years, and the response has been overwhelming.

We've had people ask what else there is to see while in the area, and all I can say is PLENTY.

Including:
Fort Robinson, Nebraska is 50 miles east. It's one of the coolest historical places that I've ever visited.

The Museum of the Fur Trade is a MUST SEE. It's in Chadron, NE., about 90 miles east of Lusk, WY.

The Black Hills, and MT Rushmore, are 2 hours NE.

The Bighorn Mtns in Wyoming are 4 hours NW

Cody Wyoming is 5 hours NW

It would NOT be hard to see interesting and fun things while coming or going. This part of the world is still operating as usual, within reason, and the wide open spaces sure doesn't hurt.

For you pheasant hunters, the first demo at Coyote Days is being given by Richard Edwards and Dale Greenough. Richard owns Rooster Junction, a world class pheasant hunting operation in the panhandle of Nebraska (Yes, Nebraska). If you are interested in hunting next fall, look him up, he's not hard to spot!

For any of you looking to take trapping instructions in the future, one of the demo presenters on Saturday is Dan Hartman, from Broadus, MT.
Dan is a sheep & cattle rancher, and a real 'Buckaroo' type coyote trapper. He does predator control and fur trapping on his own outfit, and other ranches in SE Montana. He's also on the Powder River Co. Predator board. His qualifications make him a great choice for a demo spot at Coyote Days. Dan is starting to give some instructions, and he'll be here all weekend long to visit with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that we've tried to cover the bases for EVERYONE to get something new and exciting and thought provoking out of this. Who knows how long the markets will hold up. The end of August is a good launching and planning time for the upcoming season, and the group that gathers at Coyote Days will inspire anyone.

It's coming up fast. See you there!

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6943693
07/26/20 06:13 PM
07/26/20 06:13 PM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Museum of the Mtn Man (Jim Bridger) in Pinedale WY.

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6943845
07/26/20 08:26 PM
07/26/20 08:26 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
I've been to John's get together the last three years. Here are some things me and the family have done in conjunction coming from the northeast.

Mount Rushmore, Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower, tour the Black Hills, Wall SD. If a guy can take a the time off of work he can truly make this a family vacation. My problem is I've always tried to squeeze things into 3 days and it's a 22 hour round trip if I haul butt to get there and back.

It's worth it just to see Bill eat two ribeyes.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: Steven 49er] #6943854
07/26/20 08:42 PM
07/26/20 08:42 PM
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
I've been to John's get together the last three years. Here are some things me and the family have done in conjunction coming from the northeast.

Mount Rushmore, Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, Needles Highway, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower, tour the Black Hills, Wall SD. If a guy can take a the time off of work he can truly make this a family vacation. My problem is I've always tried to squeeze things into 3 days and it's a 22 hour round trip if I haul butt to get there and back.

It's worth it just to see Bill eat two ribeyes.

And if you know the secret handshake, the bourbon tasting class is top notch.

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6944039
07/27/20 01:05 AM
07/27/20 01:05 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
I'd rather have fresh peaches(hint hint, otis)

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6950811
08/01/20 06:59 PM
08/01/20 06:59 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
UPDATE; I had a planning committee meeting with my buddy that runs the demos at Coyote Days, and we decided on a few things that will no doubt make things run a bit smoother, and also help handle the anticipated crowd that is growing literally every day.

We are at the mercy of late August weather, with temps that can range from the high 50's to mid 90's, and maybe rain/hail at any given moment.

Obviously, we hope for and plan for having decent weather, but with the way things are shaping up, we can't totally rely on that happening, even if we monitor it on our phones, like we all seem to do.

So, we have decided to set up the 12 portable bleachers and other seats in the usual demo area, which is just north of the main building; AND, also have the main grandstands and arena set up for another option.

This will provide shade and cover from rain, AND more seating, which will likely be required.

It will also be easier to use lighting for the Friday evening round table discussion, which was a HUGE hit last year, and went very late in to the evening.

The seats in the grandstands are all aluminum, and have back rests. They are very nice, and modern.

But, we are still suggesting to maybe bring a folding chair for personal seating if we use the main outdoor area (lawn).

We will have the details worked out by then, so there will hopefully be NO confusion.

I have some good friends that help us put Coyote Days on, and I grateful that they are great problem solvers!

I'll add more as we get closer!

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6951511
08/02/20 11:52 AM
08/02/20 11:52 AM
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Might need one of these this year!!
[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6951575
08/02/20 01:27 PM
08/02/20 01:27 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Hey, Don't think that I didn't look for one close by!

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6958849
08/09/20 09:36 AM
08/09/20 09:36 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
OK, we are less than 2 weeks away, and things are moving along very well!

We've had some questions about the banquet, which was a huge hit last year.

We are currently considering and weighing the options of having the banquet outside this year. Seating, spacing, lighting, etc. are all factors.

The weather is also a major concern, and we'll play it by ear. Luckily, I have a lot of friends and volunteers that can set up the tables in short order, and we'll make that decision Saturday.

Tickets for the banquet are on a first come basis. Tickets will be available at the main building, where the vendors and food concessions will be. We will have about 250 banquet tickets for sale. Rib eye Steaks on the grill are on the menu, and with beef prices at the stores still hanging on the high side, we've decided to go to $20 per ticket to compensate. We'll cut up 20 loins on Friday night to get them seasoned and ready for Saturday night. We use 2 huge grills to cook them in about 1/2 and hour or less, to get everyone through the line and seated.

The banquet will also feature several guest speakers, gun raffle drawings, buckle raffle, Fur Fashion Show, and a short auction.

And, again, NO fires in the camping area. It's a county-wide ban! Grills are fine though.

And, NO tailgaters. The vendors that are coming were invited, and they know who they are. Most are demo presenters, and I give them booth space to set up. I promise that there will be a wide variety of things to chose from, ranging from Otis Latham basswood stretchers to Vern Howey shooting sticks.

The cost for the event is $10 for people 18 and over. Kids are welcome and can attend free of charge.

Paying attendees will be given a rubber wrist band, and that will be needed to get in to the demo area.

I've been 'counseled' on the topic of not putting myself on the demo list. So, I've decided to give a 45 minute to hour demo on Friday night, after Keith Gregerson's famous snaring demo, and the Round Table discussion.

We're doing everything we can to allow social distancing as much as possible.

I hope this answers some questions. Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6959062
08/09/20 02:41 PM
08/09/20 02:41 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I won't be able to attend unfortunately, but give Vern Howey my regards. I got to know him at Rawlins in the 90's on one of Norm Heater's coyote calling competitions. I still use the sticks I got from him back then.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 08/09/20 02:41 PM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6960282
08/10/20 06:56 PM
08/10/20 06:56 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
I'm sorry that you can't make it, but I Do understand.

I'll tell Vern that you said Hello.

We go way back. In 1985, He was hired as a denner to work with Bill Austin, and I was working with Vernon Dorn.

We'd been hired to work as seasonal coyote denners in Carbon County, WY.

I remember the morning that we all met up and visited the first time. I was pretty green at the time! I'd give about anything to go back to that time and get a picture of all of us. And, 35 years later, and I'm still putting what I learned from Vernon Dorn to use.

Vern Howey is just one of the 'Greats' that will be giving a demo at Coyote Days. I'm honored that he is coming.

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6963323
08/13/20 10:07 PM
08/13/20 10:07 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Just a quick clarification.

Coyote Days is still ON!

It was the Wyoming State Trappers Association that cancelled, NOT Coyote Days.

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6963411
08/13/20 11:39 PM
08/13/20 11:39 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
If it rains I’ll be there

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6964498
08/15/20 07:25 AM
08/15/20 07:25 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Pawnee- Well, then I hope it rains in your part of the world! As much as we need rain here in Eastern Wyoming, I hope it rains during the night, just to settle the dust, and if a real gully washer would happen along, we'd take it.

But, the weather forecast for next weekend looks fine, here in Lusk.

Lows of 59 at night, and high 80's for the daytime. Wyoming pretty much always cools off at night, and if we get a little breeze, so much the better.

Things are moving along very well.

Mike Wilhite, From Trappers Post Magazine, texted me that he's sent several boxes of the magazine and other items out ahead, and that he'd be arriving Thursday Evening. Mike has been to Wyoming several times to share some time in the field with us, and I know he is looking forward to coming back. He'll have a Trappers Post booth at Coyote Days, and will also be doing a market report and sharing his adventure in the Yukon from last winter with us at the Saturday night banquet.

I put a fresh called and shot coyote in the freezer a few days ago, and I will take it out late Friday night so it can thaw out for Justin Lemke's skinning demo on Saturday. I've got some put-up coyotes here for him to go through grades with also.

I picked up the rifle for one of the gun raffles the other night. It is a Ruger American 25/06
It has a brown/tan stock, and also the barrel is threaded for a suppressor. It would make a great coyote or combination rifle. Tickets for it will ONLY be sold at Coyote Days, so someone attending will win it.

The Henry Golden Boy .22 that I bought for Miss Rodeo Wyoming 2020, Rachel Derner, to raffle off, will be here Monday according to the tracking number. Rachel will also sell the tickets for it here at Coyote Days only, so someone here will win it too.

I've been in contact with some of the demo presenters this last week or two, and I can assure you that they've got their acts together!

The information shared and the topics covered are second to none.

I've got it from 'The top' that there WILL be a coyote market this year, and we'll probably get to hear about it first hand at Coyote Days.

There's still a few rooms left in town if you need one, but most are getting booked up. I think the Covered Wagon Motel still has some, and they are offering a 'Coyote Days' discount. (307) 334-2836 is their number.

Tent camping on the Fairgrounds is basically unlimited, and is $5/night. There IS a shower house and bathroom right there too.
The fairgrounds collects the money for that,

There is also plenty of room for campers, but only about a dozen with electrical hookups. Those are on a first come basis at $20/night.

And again, NO open fires.

I have to roll, summer time coyote work means being out there early. I hope to see you here next weekend. It's going to be a great way to start off the 2020 season!

Thanks, John

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6964539
08/15/20 08:26 AM
08/15/20 08:26 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Have a wonderful gathering John!
Blessings to all y'all.

Mark

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6965224
08/15/20 07:37 PM
08/15/20 07:37 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline OP
trapper
John Graham  Offline OP
trapper
J

WYOMING
Thanks, Mark

It's only a week away now. We'll be firing up the grills to cook 250-300 rib eyes about this time next Saturday!

Re: COYOTE DAYS [Re: John Graham] #6965250
08/15/20 08:01 PM
08/15/20 08:01 PM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
Looking forward to it

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Previous Thread