Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Teacher] #6950213
08/01/20 07:09 AM
08/01/20 07:09 AM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
When Raccoon become worth $40.00 a piece again use both and the best.

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Teacher] #6950258
08/01/20 08:34 AM
08/01/20 08:34 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
I'm fond of the elbow PVC sets in water but a straight one shoved into the bank at a slight upwards angle works great too. Never liked dry land trapping coons in footholds until DPs came out, but no doubt they work.

This is my favorite picture of the elbow PVC set in action. There were 6 sets here, the two still standing didn't make a catch that night. We caught 15 the first 3 nights here before they slowed down but also ended up with a coyote in that set in the center of the creek and a large beaver in one along the edge here.

[Linked Image]

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: ~ADC~] #6950397
08/01/20 10:47 AM
08/01/20 10:47 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I'm fond of the elbow PVC sets in water but a straight one shoved into the bank at a slight upwards angle works great too. Never liked dry land trapping coons in footholds until DPs came out, but no doubt they work.

This is my favorite picture of the elbow PVC set in action. There were 6 sets here, the two still standing didn't make a catch that night. We caught 15 the first 3 nights here before they slowed down but also ended up with a coyote in that set in the center of the creek and a large beaver in one along the edge here.

[Linked Image]

Awesome picture!!

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Teacher] #6950400
08/01/20 10:50 AM
08/01/20 10:50 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
I recall a similar location further down this creek where it got very rocky. We could only find a hole between a couple rocks to set 2 pipes so we smeared the same bait on rocks near the edge of the water, did just well in those smear sets. I'm sure the PVC could have aided them with the eye appeal nearby but a good smelling bait is nothing to turn your nose up at. smile pun intended!

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Teacher] #6950590
08/01/20 02:05 PM
08/01/20 02:05 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Used to love pvc elbow sets, problem was they tended to end up missing in more public locations if you didn't paint em. Or coon would destroy or cause them to get lost.

I use the portable pockets now and I can stake to them.

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6950696
08/01/20 04:53 PM
08/01/20 04:53 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Used to love pvc elbow sets, problem was they tended to end up missing in more public locations if you didn't paint em. Or coon would destroy or cause them to get lost.

That's why theirs lots of opinions. I never lost a pipe and never had one chewed up either, they were always laying on the bottom just outside the coon's reach. I never painted any either, but I olny used them back on private ground. In public locations the smear sets are great for concealing your set,,, up until you catch the coon.

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Teacher] #6950706
08/01/20 05:09 PM
08/01/20 05:09 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So your baiting them and then putting the elbow In place?

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: The Beav] #6951032
08/01/20 09:44 PM
08/01/20 09:44 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by The Beav
So your baiting them and then putting the elbow In place?

I just scoop them into the container of bait like a spoon and poke them in the bottom of the creek, set the trap in place and turn the pipe towards the trap. Its as simple as that, no tricks or anything tough about it.

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Teacher] #6959208
08/09/20 05:39 PM
08/09/20 05:39 PM
Minnesota
G
Gerald Schmitt Offline
trapper
Gerald Schmitt  Offline
trapper
G

Minnesota
Teacher, given the two options you talk about, salmon oil on grass vs chunks of fish in a pocket, I would go with the chunks of fish. A chunk of bait in a pocket give you a lot of eye appeal for your target animal, more so than salmon oil on a grass wad.

If you really want to test things, take 20 locations. At each location put 1 grass stick set with salmon oil and one pocket set with carp. On half the locations put the salmon oil set on your left hand side as you face the bank, and put the pocket set on the right hand side. Reverse this on the other half of your locations. See how they perform.

For what its worth, you could dig pockets and just put a trap in front without any bait or lure and do fairly well, just the fresh digging has an appeal to mink, rats and coon. If you are using a tile spade, you should be able to make a pocket set in a matter of a few seconds. I'm not a fan of hiding the bait when making a water set, I want the target animal to be able to see it in the back of the pocket.

Re: Before I test, I need input from experienced peopl [Re: Gerald Schmitt] #6959294
08/09/20 06:45 PM
08/09/20 06:45 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Gerald Schmitt
Teacher, given the two options you talk about, salmon oil on grass vs chunks of fish in a pocket, I would go with the chunks of fish. A chunk of bait in a pocket give you a lot of eye appeal for your target animal, more so than salmon oil on a grass wad.

If you really want to test things, take 20 locations. At each location put 1 grass stick set with salmon oil and one pocket set with carp. On half the locations put the salmon oil set on your left hand side as you face the bank, and put the pocket set on the right hand side. Reverse this on the other half of your locations. See how they perform.

For what its worth, you could dig pockets and just put a trap in front without any bait or lure and do fairly well, just the fresh digging has an appeal to mink, rats and coon. If you are using a tile spade, you should be able to make a pocket set in a matter of a few seconds. I'm not a fan of hiding the bait when making a water set, I want the target animal to be able to see it in the back of the pocket.

Spot on. I'll go so far as to add when you put your chunk of fish in the pocket give it a big squirt of salmon/fish oil in a rainbow over the pocket so it runs down and creates an "oil slick" on the water. IMO this draws coons and mink ,from down steam especially, to see where its coming from.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91