No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: arcticotter] #6961951
08/12/20 10:56 AM
08/12/20 10:56 AM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Cabela's website is poorly designed and frustrating. A few weeks ago, I was looking up ammo availability (yeah, I know). If I would search by "Cartridge or Gauge" search fields, a number of choices of ammo would appear, but would not indicate if they were available. For each one, I had to click on the specific box or product to go to a page for it - where I would again have to select from a menu to indicate "Cartridge or Gauge" even though that is what I searched for initially. When those results came up, I had to scroll to the bottom of the next screen to see that it was out of stock everywhere. And so it went for every type of ammo. Three pages in for each one just to find out it's not available. Each item, one at a time. I got sick of that process and called their customer service and asked the guy if he could tell if any of a list of types of ammo were available. I thought maybe they could just give me the scoop and save me some time. After I sat on the line listening to silence for a while, I realized that the customer service guy was going through the same steps as I was! I asked him to pass along a request that they show availability on the first results page when you search for a specific type of ammo.

Other sites are much easier, and at least if you're going to hit a dead end with availability, you hit it quickly and move on!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6961960
08/12/20 11:08 AM
08/12/20 11:08 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Had points to burn up so called to place my order in person since I couldn't figure out how to apply them on line. Everything I wanted was sold out even though their web site said it was available. Finally managed to put an order together after making a second call. Very frustrating. Did the survey and did not give them raving reviews, not like that's going to change anything. Quality has dropped considerably and now that my points have been used up, I see no reason to go back.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: 20scout] #6961961
08/12/20 11:11 AM
08/12/20 11:11 AM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Oh yeah, that's right! 20scout just reminded me - at the bottom of the pages, there was a notice that they had just updated their site and asked if you would take a survey and give them feedback. I clicked it and the link didn't work! I tried that a few times before I called. laugh

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6961994
08/12/20 11:49 AM
08/12/20 11:49 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
The first time my boys went into a Bass Pro, one remarked: "Dad, it's kinda like Cabela's, only instead of deer heads, it has stuffed 'possums....."

Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: arcticotter] #6962219
08/12/20 04:46 PM
08/12/20 04:46 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by arcticotter
The Rapid City store is trash. Nothing but a camouflage clothing store in my opinion.

That is good to know! I am in town and had planned to stop there. You saved me some time.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6962245
08/12/20 05:18 PM
08/12/20 05:18 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Every time a GOOD COMPANY goes CORPORATE everything seems to got downhill fast! PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT! Financial people get involved that have no idea what the business is really about anymore. The bigger the CORP the worse they get, IMO. $$$$$$.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6962248
08/12/20 05:23 PM
08/12/20 05:23 PM
Tonawanda, NY, 14150 Erie
TonawandaTrapper Offline
trapper
TonawandaTrapper  Offline
trapper

Tonawanda, NY, 14150 Erie
My Cabelas hear in WNY just started carrying trapping supplies last year. Its nice to have a isle dedicated for trapping. Now for the Archery department.......lets just say you get what you pay for.

Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6962250
08/12/20 05:27 PM
08/12/20 05:27 PM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
Bass Pro ruined Cabelas

Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6962272
08/12/20 05:54 PM
08/12/20 05:54 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
Cabela's downhill slide started immediately after they listed IMO. The recent changes implemented by BPS have only hastened the spiral into mediocrity. It's a shame.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: arcticotter] #6962286
08/12/20 06:09 PM
08/12/20 06:09 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by arcticotter
The Rapid City store is trash. Nothing but a camouflage clothing store in my opinion.

Their gun selection is awesome, they have lots of ammo,reloading stuff , quality camp gear and fishing lures like no other place. Sure, 2/3's of the store is clothes but the rest is solid hunting, fishing and shooting. I quite like the store. Next time there, take a right from the cashiers, past the shoes and if you cannot find a gun that suits you, good luck anywhere else.

Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6962293
08/12/20 06:18 PM
08/12/20 06:18 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I kind of like Sportsman's Warehouse. We have one an hour and a half from here I go to sometimes. Seem more reasonably priced than Cabela's does I think.

https://www.sportsmans.com/

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6962330
08/12/20 06:56 PM
08/12/20 06:56 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
I have ordered fishing lures from Bass pro/Cabelas a couple times lately. The orders have all arrived over the course of a week with a 10 item order shipped in three separate mailings each time. Free shipping but they can't be making a lot of money pulling items from all their different warehouses to fill orders IMO!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Cabela's gone downhill [Re: Mr. Ed] #6963182
08/13/20 07:40 PM
08/13/20 07:40 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
gift card that I can't seem to spend. The last two times I was at the store they made me so mad I left without spending it.
exactly how C's was before BP!!
I do mostly fly fishing. Their Fly Fishing dept was staffed with people who knew nothing about fly fishing.
Consequently they are of no help for someone wanting to get into the sport. And for someone who already knows what they are looking for they had a poor selection of stuff.
Mostly low end stuff.
I had no reason to go to Cabela's. There are much better stores with very knowledgeable staff in the area or much better selection of stuff on line.

This was true both before and after BP, although the area is a little smaller now with less stuff that we wouldn't buy. Two outstanding fly shops within easy drives that are owned/operated by great fly anglers. The gun people both at the old C's and the BP C's don't have a clue about black powder or even if the accessories they stock are appropriate for the use.

Cabela's built a very extravagant upscale store near me about three years before the sell out, and I probably spent 300 hours walking around in there trying to spent about $50-75 in gift cards from the kids and grand kids, finally just went on line and ordered fishing flies that I would never had bought otherwise, it was an overpriced clothing store long before BP stepped in to rescue the stockholders.
So a couple years go by and I've walked through that store a couple dozen more times without finding anything worth buying at their outrageous prices, and they had a fly rod on sale that I bought, fished with one day and returned for full refund. That full refund policy was the only thing Cabela's had going for them and no doubt added to their overall fiscal problems.
The only thing I've bought there since it became BP is some Hot Sauce reel oil and grease.

The fact they even built here is indicative of either poor business sense or what I believe was an early outreach to a Bass Pro offer.
This market is not upscale, this is Walmart's home town.... This store is an hour and a half from Bass Pro's hometown and anyone wanting that kind of experience just goes to Springfield.
Academy (upscale for this market) just up the road was selling clothing obviously made in the same shop as Cabela's for 30% less.

I walked through there a few days and the store still sucks just as bad as it did when it was Cabela's.
IMO, anyone who thinks C's was anything better before Bass pro is either living in the far away past or holding hands with Santa and the Tooth Fairy. Bass Pro though has gone down hill ever since they started having stores in every town, or maybe it was when they got the online store, any way nothing is the same as it was back in the '60s.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread