No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Pickling otter pelts #6962396
08/12/20 08:26 PM
08/12/20 08:26 PM
Illinois Kentucky Line
Massac Offline OP
trapper
Massac  Offline OP
trapper

Illinois Kentucky Line
I want to try and make sure I get this done right. I've tanned about 20 beavers the following way and they've all came out good other than my last batch I tried. I'm using trubond 1000b.

Dry on a board, rehydrate in salt water, then pickle in a mixture of salt water, vinegar, and Citric acid. I aim to keep a pH of around 2.

The last batch of beavers all ended up slipping and I think it's because I got in a rush and forgot to add salt to the pickle. Does this sound probable? The 20 or so successful beavers I have left in the pickle for 5 days before neutralizing and tanning.

I want to avoid this mishap with these otters.

Anyways my questions regarding them is how long should they pickle? They don't have near as thick of skin as the beavers. Also can the solution being too acidic ruin them? When they were put in a few minutes ago my pH was 1.7, but I expect it to have a little rise after the pelts soak.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input.

Re: Pickling otter pelts [Re: Massac] #6962432
08/12/20 08:55 PM
08/12/20 08:55 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
No salt could cause damage to the hide as the salt provides a buffer to the acid. Around 40% is what you're salinometer should read, maybe a tad more.

How long did you leave the hides in the rehydration, with just salt if you leave em in to long is where you could have issues. Plus it helps to agitate the hides often.

When you say batch, how many hides where you doing at a time and how often did you check your pH?

Re: Pickling otter pelts [Re: Massac] #6962455
08/12/20 09:17 PM
08/12/20 09:17 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
1 pound of salt per gallon of water. Keep your ph between 1 and 2 and stir every day. I leave them in for 3 days but I use mckenzie safety acid. Leaving in rehydration too long could cause problems in my opinion.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Pickling otter pelts [Re: Massac] #6962544
08/12/20 10:24 PM
08/12/20 10:24 PM
Illinois Kentucky Line
Massac Offline OP
trapper
Massac  Offline OP
trapper

Illinois Kentucky Line
I was doing 5 pelts at a time, checking pH daily. I may have left the batch in the rehydration too long. I don't take them out of the rehydration until theyre as limp as they would be if they had just came off the animal.

I also will gently tug on the fur in different places each day to make sure there's no slippage. I'm just really not sure what went wrong last time.

Last edited by Massac; 08/12/20 10:26 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread