Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dried grass for pipe dream sets [Re: Teacher] #6952271
08/03/20 12:11 AM
08/03/20 12:11 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Sometimes it depends where you trap as to covering used. I trap a lot of sage brush desert and use sage brush duff instead of dry grass clippings.

Re: Dried grass for pipe dream sets [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6953915
08/04/20 03:29 PM
08/04/20 03:29 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
In the spring when the grass grows very fast I let it grow about 2 inches longer than typical and watch the weather. When I mow with my rider (48 inch cut) I mow two trips one way and then two trips the other on parts of the lawn. About 100 foot of that 15 foot is a 33 gallon garbage bag full. I don't have real long canine lines so 4-6 of those is plenty for me. I get most of it real dry. I also bag some about 2/3rds dry or so and that molds a tad or clumps and actually that crumpled up works as well or better for me. Maybe creating a different odor or covering up some odor. I sprinkle sifted dirt over the grass to keep the wind from blowing it away as well.

Bryce

Re: Dried grass for pipe dream sets [Re: Teacher] #6963501
08/14/20 06:39 AM
08/14/20 06:39 AM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
I bag up enough grass for a season in the summer and then supplement it in-season by grabbing ground hay out of a few of my farmers buildings. These dairy operations have three-sided buildings with cotton seed, ground hay, ground corn, etc. that they mix into their feed rations daily.........

They often grab huge square bales and drop them into large rotary grinders and blow the chopped hay directly into one of the bays......

I pull in (with permission!) and can fill an onion sack in a few seconds.

That said, like every thing I do with trapping, I don't SOLELY rely on the farmers.....but rather, I have enough yard grass in my barn at any one time for probably a couple seasons.

I've used swept-up barn loft hay as well........and you will get a lot of duff/dust with that product that certainly is NOT a bad thing......

At my demos, I will grab a 20-pound onion sack full of grass or hay and toss it up in the air and catch it...showing it weighs nothing, and saying I get 30-40 sets from this one bag. How much dirt or peat or waxed dirt would that take and what would IT weigh?

For the guys on here asking questions, somewhere on this site there are multiple threads about it covering a BILLION questions/concerns/ problems/etc. guys have had over the years. That's why I did the video to hopefully clear up some of the common issues/questions/concerns.......

If you read what I write or say, the set is NOT just about a pipe, or grass, or trap, or steel screen, or a bedding method. Its about ALL of those things working IN CONCERT TOGETHER to give the final offering..............

A guy recently said to me: "The Pipe Dream Set is NO Pipe Dream!"

I like that......bumper-sticker worthy, almost!

MZ

Last edited by Zagman; 08/14/20 06:40 AM.

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Dried grass for pipe dream sets [Re: Teacher] #6964333
08/14/20 10:15 PM
08/14/20 10:15 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I carry shears, and "make" clippings if need be. Love the bedding idea, just can't use it 100% here.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Dried grass for pipe dream sets [Re: Teacher] #6964543
08/15/20 08:29 AM
08/15/20 08:29 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I put up grass during off season. I have had guys ask me where I get all of it then ask if they can have some. Answer is usually no, especially when I told them to gather some and where to find some.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91