No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Flu vaccine #6963935
08/14/20 04:35 PM
08/14/20 04:35 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline OP
trapper
charles  Offline OP
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I heard on XM A radio program out of New York University hospital, that the effectiveness of the annual flu vaccine is dependent upon the mutation characteristics of the flu strains. Later in the winter months the vaccine may not protect as well against newly mutated strains.

Assuming this fact, it seems that the annual vaccine might offer better protection early in the season, and less so as the strains of influenza mutate. I noticed a sign today offering a $10 store coupon with the vaccine. Maybe I’ll get mine in August this year. I used to wait. I never get the flu, and I want to keep it that way.

The Corona virus does not mutate as quickly, I’ve read.

Re: Flu vaccine [Re: charles] #6964346
08/14/20 10:23 PM
08/14/20 10:23 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Also heard a news report today that they are concerned about a spike in flu cases this season in the midst of the covid pandemic! How would that be possible with everyone masked up, hand washing, distancing etc? Seems like more fear mongering.

Re: Flu vaccine [Re: charles] #6964353
08/14/20 10:32 PM
08/14/20 10:32 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by charles
I heard on XM A radio program out of New York University hospital, that the effectiveness of the annual flu vaccine is dependent upon the mutation characteristics of the flu strains. Later in the winter months the vaccine may not protect as well against newly mutated strains.

Assuming this fact, it seems that the annual vaccine might offer better protection early in the season, and less so as the strains of influenza mutate. I noticed a sign today offering a $10 store coupon with the vaccine. Maybe I’ll get mine in August this year. I used to wait. I never get the flu, and I want to keep it that way.

The Corona virus does not mutate as quickly, I’ve read.

You're hearing what you want to hear. By getting the influenza vaccine in August you would be likely setting yourself up for failure as the vaccine loses it effectiveness. You'd likely be unprotected by the end of the influenza season. That's why they recommend you wait later but receive it before the end of October.......carry on.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 08/14/20 10:33 PM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Flu vaccine [Re: charles] #6964358
08/14/20 10:45 PM
08/14/20 10:45 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I also know since you've stated some findings from a radio program out of a hospital that you'll likely want some type of citation for my thoughts. A simple google search took me to the CDC website and here's what they have to say about it:

"For the 2019-2020 flu season, CDC is offering additional guidance on timing of flu vaccination for both adults and children.

Like last season, CDC and ACIP recommend that vaccination be offered by the end of October.
For this season, CDC and ACIP provided additional information on what might be considered vaccinating too early. “Vaccinating early – for example, in July or August –may lead to reduced protection against influenza later in the season, particularly among older adults.”

I don't expect these statements will change this year as this has been their stance for a number of years.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread