No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DP Guys #6966005
08/16/20 07:28 PM
08/16/20 07:28 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
I just purchased 4 DP traps. Never used one in my life. First I have to give anyone that can set one with just there had a hand up. You are a better man than me. First I am not trying to take any business away from any business. This is for the people that have limited income. If you have used Out-of-site mole traps they come with a setter with every trap. Just take a propane torch and heat the closed end and squeeze together to fit the trap. Then cut off the end to fit appx 1/2 inch. Now you have a very strong DP setter. JMO
I googled DP traps. There is 101 way to place, bait and stake the DP traps. Just would like to know how you do it. 1. do you shorten the chain? Do you put the trap in at a angle or straight up? Do you use earth anchors or stakes. Do you put any food out side the trap or just in the trap? I do ADC work and once in a while I get a trap shy raccoon and I am going to give them a try.
Thanks for any reply

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966014
08/16/20 07:36 PM
08/16/20 07:36 PM
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

SW MISSOURI
you can use a flat tip screwdriver to set them. Helps a bunch. I set them straight up and down. Rebar stakes. Minimarshmallows, cat food, cheap fruit flavored cereal in the trap. Sometimes 1 or 2 small pieces outside of trap. Good luck.

www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966018
08/16/20 07:38 PM
08/16/20 07:38 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
You can set them with a screw driver in a pinch.

I set them straight up just stuck in the ground to the bottom of the washer on the stabilizer. I use 24" 3/8 rebar nut-top stakes to anchor them and use the stock chains. Don't use them where they can get tangled and stop the traps swiveling. I bait mostly inside the trap but a few nibbles outside to get them interested won't hurt. If you got a good bait it doesn't matter if you overfill the tube or just add enough up to the trigger. Set then dead center of the coons trail where he can't miss it.

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966022
08/16/20 07:40 PM
08/16/20 07:40 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I run mine on cable stakes. Set them right in the middle of a trail where they will have to trip over it. Put enough bait inside to cover the trigger, and leave a little on the ground around the trap.

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966037
08/16/20 07:48 PM
08/16/20 07:48 PM
Michigan
D
Duckie1 Offline
trapper
Duckie1  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
I have great results using the stock chain with an extra inline swivel and a cable stake. I put them in anywhere from straight up to a 45 degree angle as long as they seem solid. When at an angle I turn the trap so that trigger is at a 3-9 o'clock position. Bait inside and a little for eye appeal outside, sweet attractant inside and outside. Caution on using fish oil on the bait, it is great for scent attractant but I have found that the coon do not seem to like the taste as well as a sweet attractant.

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966045
08/16/20 07:50 PM
08/16/20 07:50 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Hopefully you bought pull only, to avoid some non-targets. Like cats opossums and skunks.
I hope you bought the straight triggers, so you can add a half inch piece of surgical hose to it.
I bait with a marshmallow under trigger with only about 1/2 inch bait in cup. Then a dab of lure on the outside of lip. Beaware of wet baits. They will Gum up the works in time.
If setting on a trail, I don’t do anything else. Other than angle them about 45°.
If setting blindly,, kind of, I shoot a line of trailing scent
If bait gets stolen, it is probably mice, then you have to set it straight up and put a golf ball on top or Coon cap Or similar device.
Stake it down with the earth anchor away from anything a coon can climb or get ahold of.
THAT is how they pull out.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: DP Guys [Re: traprjohn] #6966204
08/16/20 09:39 PM
08/16/20 09:39 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by traprjohn
Hopefully you bought pull only, to avoid some non-targets. Like cats opossums and skunks.
I hope you bought the straight triggers, so you can add a half inch piece of surgical hose to it.
I bait with a marshmallow under trigger with only about 1/2 inch bait in cup. Then a dab of lure on the outside of lip. Beaware of wet baits. They will Gum up the works in time.
If setting on a trail, I don’t do anything else. Other than angle them about 45°.
If bait gets stolen, it is probably mice, then you have to set it straight up and put a golf ball on top or Coon cap Or similar device.
Stake it down with the earth anchor away from anything a coon can climb or get ahold of.

Traprjohn:
What is the purpose of the surgical hose? Would heat skink work? How long should a earth anchor cable be and size of cable?
I see no one said anything about shorting the chains. Thanks for the post, lot of good tips.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966206
08/16/20 09:40 PM
08/16/20 09:40 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by traprjohn

Traprjohn:
What is the purpose of the surgical hose? Would heat skink work? How long should a earth anchor cable be and size of cable?
I see no one said anything about shorting the chains. Thanks for the post, lot of good tips.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966208
08/16/20 09:41 PM
08/16/20 09:41 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Sorry it did not feel like the mouse was posting about the DP.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966214
08/16/20 09:48 PM
08/16/20 09:48 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I just use cable with a loop on each end. Loop one end through the swivel on the end of the chain, then pass the cable around a tree then run the trap through that loop. Never had a coon or anything else pull out. Sometimes they’ll be sitting on a limb about 3ft, but they’ll still be caught.
Put some sheep’s wool below the trigger then drop your bait of choice on top of it.

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966217
08/16/20 09:51 PM
08/16/20 09:51 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
We have caught a lot of coons (1000+ by now easily) in DPs, never used any tube or anything else on the trigger, never angled them, and only tried a cover (golfballs and small styrofoam cups) a couple times and its a total waste of time IMO you don't want anything to hinder the coon getting into the trap. Never had a pull out (a couple twisted out when the traps swiveling stopped). We also use very sticky sweet bait often and never had an issue with that either so I guess I disagree with traprjohn on their use. lol

Re: DP Guys [Re: Wanna Be] #6966241
08/16/20 10:16 PM
08/16/20 10:16 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I just use cable with a loop on each end. Loop one end through the swivel on the end of the chain, then pass the cable around a tree then run the trap through that loop. Never had a coon or anything else pull out. Sometimes they’ll be sitting on a limb about 3ft, but they’ll still be caught.
Put some sheep’s wool below the trigger then drop your bait of choice on top of it.

Wanna Be:
What is the sheep's wool for below the trigger? I would guess it make it easier for the coon to get its fingers around the trigger than having food down there, just my guess.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966245
08/16/20 10:28 PM
08/16/20 10:28 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Getting There
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Wanna Be:
What is the sheep's wool for below the trigger? I would guess it make it easier for the coon to get its fingers around the trigger than having food down there, just my guess.

Cheap...less bait used, lol.

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966281
08/16/20 11:15 PM
08/16/20 11:15 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Styrofoam cups are good when rain forecast to keep dry or somewhat dry

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966291
08/16/20 11:27 PM
08/16/20 11:27 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Set it in the middle of the trail. Bait up to the trigger. Put some around the trap. One of my boys puts bait 1/2” too 1” above the trigger but I think that’s to much (dads are idiots)lol. If it’s a push pull you can catch not targets so be careful. I also like trailing scents. They make a big difference in my area. Good luck

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: DP Guys [Re: Pawnee] #6966299
08/16/20 11:38 PM
08/16/20 11:38 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Set it in the middle of the trail. Bait up to the trigger. Put some around the trap. One of my boys puts bait 1/2” too 1” above the trigger but I think that’s to much (dads are idiots)lol. If it’s a push pull you can catch not targets so be careful. I also like trailing scents. They make a big difference in my area. Good luck

You can't argue with their success. lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966399
08/17/20 07:13 AM
08/17/20 07:13 AM

T
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
T

I don’t believe I’m that strong but I can set dp by hand. Might be the way you approach the trap. Try this.

Trap is upright. Orient the trap in your hand so that the body or cylinder of the trap is held by the palm of your hand and thumb. Use both sets of fingers from both hands to push back on top of spring lever assembly that holds coons foot in cylinder. Once lever assembly is depressed use a finger from hand to flip trigger bar into trigger notch.

I have more trouble setting 160s by hand than dp. Might be that I have long hands and fingers

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966400
08/17/20 07:25 AM
08/17/20 07:25 AM
southeast nh
M
mushfoot Offline
trapper
mushfoot  Offline
trapper
M

southeast nh
i use fish pellets and coon caps with a trailing sent i paint caps and trap brown seemed to help with less rodent troubles

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966405
08/17/20 07:33 AM
08/17/20 07:33 AM

T
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
Trap_Hunt_Fish
Unregistered
T

I use carp chunks in trap and a spraying of salmon oil spiked with a bit of shellfish oil around trap. If that don’t work I use carp chunks. If I get a refusal I use carp chunks.

Re: DP Guys [Re: Getting There] #6966408
08/17/20 07:35 AM
08/17/20 07:35 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
All the anchoring methods others have described work well whether it be cable lanyard, rebar stake, or earth anchor. What to use just depends on the soil and situation. In loose sand or mud you can cable lanyard to anything heavy enough to hold the coon. Then just stick the DP in the ground by its staked end, but don't let it freeze in place where it won't pull free because that will keep the swivels from working.

The tubing on the trigger (I use fuel line) makes it feel soft like food instead of metal. I've caught a lot of coon after they ate all the bait then pulled the trigger.

A marshmellow on the trigger is good, also one in the top will help keep rain out. Canned mackerel worked good for me as a bait. Either fish oil or a sweet mix (I used honey and molasses with a bit of anise) at the top of the trap seems to help. If you have to place the DP away from the travel path you can trail the oil or sweet mix to the trap and pull them in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread