No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Would getting more be too much for a beginner. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6972377
08/24/20 09:41 AM
08/24/20 09:41 AM
Michigan
D
Duckie1 Offline
trapper
Duckie1  Offline
trapper
D

Michigan
Spend your money on 1-2 good books or videos, they will cut your learning time down and make the traps you have more effective.

10 good sets will out produce 30 poor sets.

Whenever you do purchase equipment of any kind go for quality over quantity. Good equipment that is well maintained should last for many years if not a life time.

Find what works for you in your area but always be open to ideas from others so you can continue to learn.

No trapping question is to dumb to ask other people for help on. Just remember one question can get 50 different answers, it is all based on what works for you in your area.

Re: Would getting more be too much for a beginner. [Re: 70sdiver] #6972410
08/24/20 10:41 AM
08/24/20 10:41 AM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
Originally Posted by 70sdiver
I would sure get more muskrat traps.7 water trap in a good rat location isn’t near enough .

The ones I was looking at for fun, would give me 9 more

Re: Would getting more be too much for a beginner. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6972414
08/24/20 10:46 AM
08/24/20 10:46 AM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
And thanks for the advice guys!!

Re: Would getting more be too much for a beginner. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6972813
08/24/20 07:39 PM
08/24/20 07:39 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
I currently have 20 traps only 6 are for land trapping, and another 7 will be for water trapping but could be used on land. The rest are all water. For water I’m going after rats, mink, and the occasional coon. For land reds, grays, coyote, and coon. I am planning on getting 3 more predator traps. But for fun, I have 12 traps I have been eyeing just to try, and I want to try my hand at snaring. Should I get the extra traps? Would the extra traps be too much for a beginner? More than half would be set for rats and mink, so those lines would not be long, as with some of the ditches I trap, I can set a dozen traps in a short area. Just wondering before my outdoorsman mind takes over when I go to f-and-t or mtp or Fleming

Your wife will let you know when you need more traps, until she does, hide the new ones.

jim
Re: Would getting more be too much for a beginner. [Re: jctunnelrat] #6973078
08/24/20 11:48 PM
08/24/20 11:48 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
What is your 3-5 year plan? Or longer?
Typically it is far less costly per trap to buy traps by the dozen or in larger volumes than you are talking about. Sure it costs money to buy a dozen and use 4-6 for a few years but if your plan is to gain more permission etc. having some traps hanging is not real expensive. When you run short lines your income is small and in these times even smaller but your operating and or trap line costs are low. You were able to buy the gear you have now with non fur income so put some planning into your purchases. I also agree that buying some basic books or DVDS is a good investment. I did not have any trappers in my family so my knowledge came from experience, books, DVDs and demos at conventions.
You will also decide sooner or later if you want to put up fur or sell green or "in the grease" fur. You add income by putting up fur generally but you need to invest in more equipment and also time.
Bryce

Re: Would getting more be too much for a beginner. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6974521
08/26/20 03:50 PM
08/26/20 03:50 PM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
If your going to have enough time to set, check and process fur i'd get some more. and get a few different traps for different sets so you can see what works best. like if you have all footholds for rats get a few conibears. for land trapping id try a few snares or cable restraints (whichever is legal in your state) and give them a try. one might work better than another and also different traps will have their purpose for their own sets that work better in certain locations.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread