No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! #6973633
08/25/20 05:46 PM
08/25/20 05:46 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline OP
trapper
Green Bay  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
September 2020 Issue page 46 "Finding Friends Amongst Enemies" by Steve Bartylla

He recommends having a one day WI water check but the worst was this on page 50:

" Trapping, a profession that helped keep populations in balance and provided license fees to wildlife agencies, is all but dead."

Not happy.

Brian

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6973634
08/25/20 05:48 PM
08/25/20 05:48 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Agree! Terrible, I haven’t read the article but from what you’ve said... terrible.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6973643
08/25/20 05:54 PM
08/25/20 05:54 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
I would need to see the full context. Did he mean he hates trappers or did he mean the industry is dying? The industry isn't doing well at all, that's for sure.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6973665
08/25/20 06:19 PM
08/25/20 06:19 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The fur side is indeed doing poorly. The nuisance/ADC is thriving. If the deer/duck/turkey nimrod would come off some cash a few fur guys could stay in the game.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6973674
08/25/20 06:24 PM
08/25/20 06:24 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Truth is trappers don't have many sportsman friends...Oh they will put on a face, but it's usually a means to an end.

Member - FTA
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #6973688
08/25/20 06:35 PM
08/25/20 06:35 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Truth is trappers don't have many sportsman friends...Oh they will put on a face, but it's usually a means to an end.

Myself and a few others have been working diligently to change that... in Delaware anyway.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #6973694
08/25/20 06:39 PM
08/25/20 06:39 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas

... if you could trap button bucks and stick gps tracking devices up thier butts that would alert those boys iPhones 6 years later they’d love you lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6973838
08/25/20 08:24 PM
08/25/20 08:24 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline
trapper
John Graham  Offline
trapper
J

WYOMING
Isn't Deer & Deer Hunting magazine owned by the same people that own The trapper & Predator Caller or The Trapper Magazine (Whatever it is called now) The last I heard, it was.

Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Savell] #6973891
08/25/20 08:59 PM
08/25/20 08:59 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by Savell

... if you could trap button bucks and stick gps tracking devices up thier butts that would alert those boys iPhones 6 years later they’d love you lol

Lol, Truth right there!

Member - FTA
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: John Graham] #6973894
08/25/20 09:01 PM
08/25/20 09:01 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by John Graham
Isn't Deer & Deer Hunting magazine owned by the same people that own The trapper & Predator Caller or The Trapper Magazine (Whatever it is called now) The last I heard, it was.

John, I think they changed hands a while back....Jim Spencer said this bunch gets trappers much better.

***EDIT*** John, you Sir were correct...Someone who knows was kind enough to correct my misunderstanding that "The Trapper" wasn't owned by the same owners of " Deer and Deer Hunting"

Turns out they are indeed owned by the same owners...Sorry for the incorrect information in the post.

"Thankyou" to the person who got me straight on this. wink

Last edited by ky_coyote_hunter; 08/25/20 10:27 PM. Reason: Incorrect information in post.

Member - FTA
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: DelawareRob] #6973898
08/25/20 09:04 PM
08/25/20 09:04 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by DelawareRob

Myself and a few others have been working diligently to change that... in Delaware anyway.

My hats off to you Sir...Always thought that we trappers are the canary in the well so to speak....If we fall, the rest will follow.

Member - FTA
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6974040
08/25/20 11:34 PM
08/25/20 11:34 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
I have been working toward that end all my life, and will continue, but there is always another trap hater around the corner. Somebody out hunting gets their dog in a trap, and they act all crazy, like the dog is maimed for life! There was a hunter near Wichta Ks that said he felt so sorry for his dog, and didn't know what to do, so he shot the dog. This is the kinda dumb that we deal with. Back before I had artheritis in my hands so bad, every trapping talk I gave, I shoved my hand in a trap and wore it for awhile, to show how dangerous they are! lol

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: lee steinmeyer] #6974077
08/26/20 12:59 AM
08/26/20 12:59 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
We are rapidly moving our game management decisions from game managers, boards and administrative rule structure to politics. Many look at that as a very good thing, but we need to understand that politics is controlled by those with numbers, influence, power and money. Trappers come out on the very, very short end of that political picture. We are basically okay now but things can change quickly and dramatically. Most trapping for fur is done in rural areas that are for the most part controlled by conservative politicians and politics but when the rural elements start picking and choosing which activities they want minimized or listened to the politicians will gravitate to those with votes, dollars and influential spokespersons.

Bryce

Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6974125
08/26/20 06:33 AM
08/26/20 06:33 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
As some one that has hunted with a dog and trapped for more than 50 years it stuns me that so many hunters do not like trapping .As trappers we are keeping predators in check .That alone is a great benefit to both small game and big game populations .And the number of diseases those predators carry that can also infect dogs and in some cases people .It would seem natural that hunters would welcome trappers .ADC trapping has become a part of the landscape over the last 20 or so years.Those involved are filling a void in today's world ..Lower fur prices and the advent of deer and turkey leases have open the door to those willing to provide the service of predator removal for a fee. As times change so do the ways we go about accomplishing our goals . With the sale of hunting licenses dropping in many states and the growing suburbs through out America I wonder how long it will be until there will be ADC type work to keep the deer populations in check Whether you are trapping for fun; for the money the value of the fur provides or doing ADC type work .the need for trapping will always keep it viable into the future

Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6974128
08/26/20 06:48 AM
08/26/20 06:48 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Out of sight, out of mind.

-Goofy-
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6974137
08/26/20 07:26 AM
08/26/20 07:26 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I can't find anything anti-trapping in the page 50 statement. It supports the need for trapping to manage wildlife populations while observing the absolute truth about the state of trapping.

Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: w side rd 151] #6974144
08/26/20 07:46 AM
08/26/20 07:46 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
As some one that has hunted with a dog and trapped for more than 50 years it stuns me that so many hunters do not like trapping .As trappers we are keeping predators in check .That alone is a great benefit to both small game and big game populations .And the number of diseases those predators carry that can also infect dogs and in some cases people .It would seem natural that hunters would welcome trappers .ADC trapping has become a part of the landscape over the last 20 or so years.Those involved are filling a void in today's world ..Lower fur prices and the advent of deer and turkey leases have open the door to those willing to provide the service of predator removal for a fee. As times change so do the ways we go about accomplishing our goals . With the sale of hunting licenses dropping in many states and the growing suburbs through out America I wonder how long it will be until there will be ADC type work to keep the deer populations in check Whether you are trapping for fun; for the money the value of the fur provides or doing ADC type work .the need for trapping will always keep it viable into the future

It is all jealousy, gets real bad when prices are high.

Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Diggerman] #6974155
08/26/20 08:04 AM
08/26/20 08:04 AM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline
trapper
Ave  Offline
trapper

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by w side rd 151

It is all jealousy, gets real bad when prices are high.

Amen to that. I often hear a lot of hunters trashing us trappers. Most saying it’s the easy way of hunting ( they have obviously never trapped before). Just more people talking that have no idea what they are talking about. A lot of hunters around me give me a hard time, probably because I’m in their spots all fall and winter lol. I’ve had a landowner give me permission to trap, and then a bunch of hunters on the same property throw a fit and try to run me off and ask me to leave. It’s becoming more about competition then land and wildlife management.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: EdP] #6974157
08/26/20 08:05 AM
08/26/20 08:05 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by EdP
I can't find anything anti-trapping in the page 50 statement. It supports the need for trapping to manage wildlife populations while observing the absolute truth about the state of trapping.

The truth is, there are hundreds of trappers trapping hundreds of critters even though they are worthless.

Trapping is not dead.

-Goofy-
Re: Trappers Trashed in Deer and Deer hunting! [Re: Green Bay] #6974175
08/26/20 08:18 AM
08/26/20 08:18 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
I have been working so hard here in Virginia for the last 9 years to promote trapping by going to the 4h the boy scouts and holding trapper training every year. And it can be done it just takes effort now they are those idiots out there that there's no hope of. A few years back Virginia was fighting to get trail snares i went to a meeting that the VDGIF held to here and discuss changes to law and new laws. Every sporting group that is represented in Virginia was their. As aways trappers were last and when it came my time to speak I got up and turned around and said to every group there. I said there isn't one group in here that doesn't benefit from what we do even the game department. I went on to explain how and why when it was all said and done we got a law that worked well for Virginia trappers. As stated on here many times you just can't fix stupid and some people just don't and will not hear how trapping can and dose improve wildlife but myself I will keep working to tell them.

No matter where you go there you are.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread