No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: yukon254] #6973263
08/25/20 09:35 AM
08/25/20 09:35 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by AntiGov
We have gone over this before

So some of you think it's ok for police to shoot someone if they don't comply ?

Or if they " might " have a gun ?

If this is ok then alot more people gonna get it in the back ....lol

Its never 'ok' to shoot someone because they didnt comply, but if there is a chance that they are going for a gun then the gloves come off. Unless you have been in a situation like that you cant imagine how fast things move. You have mili seconds to make a decision. It could be life or death for you. Mistakes can be fatal. I believe the police should get the benefit of the doubt. The first thing that you always see is the perp being combative...hes already crossed the line so who knows whats next. In every single one of these incidents the perp was combative. Instead of blaming the police why dont people understand that if everyone would give the police the respect they deserve these shootings would be a thing of the past?

Correct

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6973906
08/25/20 09:15 PM
08/25/20 09:15 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
why dont people understand that if everyone would give the police the respect they deserve these shootings would be a thing of the past?

I have no idea what all happened to get that guy shot. I do know that there are plenty of burps out there who dont deserve anyones respect.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6973914
08/25/20 09:22 PM
08/25/20 09:22 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

My question is why he wasnt tackled before he got to the door of the vehicle. It wasnt like he was running.

New video shows the guy on the ground then getting back up.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6973989
08/25/20 10:30 PM
08/25/20 10:30 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Finster
So AntiGov how did you reach your conclusion when no one has any facts yet? Nothing has been released other than a 20 second video. You don't know what happened, I don't know what happened. A little early to make a decision. The only thing I do know is that he had a warrant for a 3rd degree sexual assault. Obviously a felony and I know by watching the video that he was no complying with lawful orders. Other than that no one knows buccus yet.

I agree Finster , I may have jumped the gun .....lol

I'm guessing if he had reached in the car and a gun was visible it wouldn't be kept a secret , and he would have gotten what he deserved.

I'm not sticking up for the dirt bag , there were several cops there and they could've just beat him down.

My point is that it just can't be acceptable to shoot someone because they " might " have a gun

Officers had seven seconds between the time he began to walk away from them and the first shot was fired. They appear to be ordering him to comply for all seven seconds. You're suggesting that cops immediately beat someone down instantly? Think there could be a problem with that? Even police are allowed to protect themselves from violent criminals.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974003
08/25/20 10:40 PM
08/25/20 10:40 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline OP
trapper
AntiGov  Offline OP
trapper

Central Oregon
Protect themselves from what ? Wolfer

That's the million dollar question

Was it a gun ? A knife ? A cell phone ? A doughnut ? Or maybe nothing at all

All the above are not equal

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974006
08/25/20 10:50 PM
08/25/20 10:50 PM
Central Wisconsin
C
cwtrapper Offline
trapper
cwtrapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Wisconsin
I would think they most likely told him to Stop or I'll shoot. They probably waited too long. Should have shot him in the leg before he got as far as he did.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: danny clifton] #6974011
08/25/20 10:54 PM
08/25/20 10:54 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by danny clifton
why dont people understand that if everyone would give the police the respect they deserve these shootings would be a thing of the past?

I have no idea what all happened to get that guy shot. I do know that there are plenty of burps out there who dont deserve anyones respect.

The guy who recorded the initial video was quoted as hearing officers ordering him to put the knife down, but did not see a knife in hand. The guy reaches into the car for who knows what. If I recall correctly he was a well known felon officers were called out for a domestic while on their way they learned he had an active warrant. At some point he resisted arrest and a fight broke out between the 3. The suspect gets free then walks to car and reaches in for something.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974013
08/25/20 10:55 PM
08/25/20 10:55 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI
If BLM wants to fix this problem they should be looking to massively increase funding for police rather than defund. Better pay and better recruiting to attract the best prop to law enforcement and way more training for de-escalation etc.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974018
08/25/20 10:58 PM
08/25/20 10:58 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Just remember folks, what you approve of cops doing to others , is what others will approve of cops doing to you. The guy may be a dirtbag and had it commin, but some day, you could also be thought of as a dirtbag and get the same. But you wont even make the local news. If the cops get the message that this behavior is alright, god help us all.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974044
08/25/20 11:45 PM
08/25/20 11:45 PM
Missouri
U
undercover Offline
trapper
undercover  Offline
trapper
U

Missouri
Two things to share in regards to some of the comments on the shooting. law enforcement officers are not taught to shoot a person in the leg or just to "wing" a suspect. Under stress a person loses their fine motor skills and thus aiming accuracy. Officers are taught to shoot center mass and fire until the threat is no more. Also an individual with a knife can close a gap of at least 21 feet before the officer can react and protect themselves. A person with a knife in a close physical encounter can become a deadly force situation and the drawing of a firearm by the officer can be justified. Drawing a firearm by a law enforcement officer is never to be taken lightly.
Another point to consider is the physical abilities of the suspect and those of the officers. I am an old college shotputer. If I resist and become combative to an officer that is half my size what are the options for that officer? Something refereed to as "The Force Continuum" allows officers to "one up" a suspect. Officers are not limited to using their fists to fend off an attacker who is striking or physically resisting. Options may include mace or baton strikes depending on department policies.
Allowing a full investigation to come to a conclusion on the justification or lack thereof for the shooting is something all fair minded people should want. Unfortunately, too many people lack the ability to be fair minded.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974059
08/26/20 12:13 AM
08/26/20 12:13 AM
upstate NY
M
Mr. Ed Offline
trapper
Mr. Ed  Offline
trapper
M

upstate NY
Is it me or if an officer of the law tells me to stop & I am innocent, I will stop & comply. Or if I am in a car and flashing lights come on behind me I will pull over if it is safe to or acknowledge with my 4 ways and pull over when safe to do so. I realize that there is a percentage of bad cops but compliance is necessary when the cops tell you to do something.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: Co�s] #6974061
08/26/20 12:15 AM
08/26/20 12:15 AM
sw minn.
Flipper Offline
trapper
Flipper  Offline
trapper

sw minn.
Originally Posted by Coös
If BLM wants to fix this problem they should be looking to massively increase funding for police rather than defund. Better pay and better recruiting to attract the best prop to law enforcement and way more training for de-escalation etc.

No the mothers and fathers need to start teaching there children to quit fighting the police. Police have never shot anyone for complying but have shot some that haven’t this goes for all parents

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974082
08/26/20 01:47 AM
08/26/20 01:47 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Same old story on here. Small handful of the same guys who hate cops and a much larger and more intelligent percentage who have common sense. Hopefully that majority carries through November.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: AntiGov] #6974086
08/26/20 02:24 AM
08/26/20 02:24 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
They probably should have just let him leave and go about his business. After all a thug with felony warrants who will not comply with police officers is a great person to have running around town doing as he pleases.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: Flipper] #6974096
08/26/20 05:10 AM
08/26/20 05:10 AM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI
Originally Posted by Flipper
Originally Posted by Coös

No the mothers and fathers need to start teaching there children to quit fighting the police. Police have never shot anyone for complying but have shot some that haven’t this goes for all parents

Ehh... don’t say never. You can find cases of police doing just about every terrible thing you can imagine to compliant, even unsuspecting citizens. It’s an unmeasurably small minority of police, probably comparable to the number of psychopaths in the rest of the population, but rest assured it has happened.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: Diggerman] #6974098
08/26/20 05:28 AM
08/26/20 05:28 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Diggerman
Just remember folks, what you approve of cops doing to others , is what others will approve of cops doing to you. The guy may be a dirtbag and had it commin, but some day, you could also be thought of as a dirtbag and get the same. But you wont even make the local news. If the cops get the message that this behavior is alright, god help us all.

lol

Is it that easy to be a criminal?

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 08/26/20 05:33 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6974138
08/26/20 07:30 AM
08/26/20 07:30 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

lol

I couldnt tell you. What I am getting at is, 911, the war on drugs, etc. These and other incidents have been used to limit and take away our rights and freedoms, you know in the guise of safety and security.
This shooting didnt happen during a bank robbery, kidnapping, carjacking. This started as a domestic dispute, you know, a family argument. Tempers and emotions, Guns should have been the very last option if at all. I hate that our cops are being used as referees and babysitters, maybe 911 should have sent out social services people first.

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: Diggerman] #6974167
08/26/20 08:14 AM
08/26/20 08:14 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
lol

I couldnt tell you. What I am getting at is, 911, the war on drugs, etc. These and other incidents have been used to limit and take away our rights and freedoms, you know in the guise of safety and security.
This shooting didnt happen during a bank robbery, kidnapping, carjacking. This started as a domestic dispute, you know, a family argument. Tempers and emotions, Guns should have been the very last option if at all. I hate that our cops are being used as referees and babysitters, maybe 911 should have sent out social services people first.

That’s the problem with being a criminal, that next encounter may be the one that gets you captured.

That is a short view if you think him getting shot was over a family dispute. lol

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 08/26/20 08:14 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: yukon254] #6974513
08/26/20 03:38 PM
08/26/20 03:38 PM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by yukon254
We have gone over this before

So some of you think it's ok for police to shoot someone if they don't comply ?

Or if they " might " have a gun ?

If this is ok then alot more people gonna get it in the back ....lol

Its never 'ok' to shoot someone because they didnt comply, but if there is a chance that they are going for a gun then the gloves come off. Unless you have been in a situation like that you cant imagine how fast things move. You have mili seconds to make a decision. It could be life or death for you. Mistakes can be fatal. I believe the police should get the benefit of the doubt. The first thing that you always see is the perp being combative...hes already crossed the line so who knows whats next. In every single one of these incidents the perp was combative. Instead of blaming the police why dont people understand that if everyone would give the police the respect they deserve these shootings would be a thing of the past?

exactly, if you wait until the guy grabs a gun or points it at you you are already to late and dead

Re: Shoot first ask questions later [Re: Diggerman] #6974515
08/26/20 03:42 PM
08/26/20 03:42 PM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI

the big difference is i wouldnt fight with the police and resist. there are millions of police contacts every day and no one gets shot- but the dont fight, they listen when officers say let me see your hands, they listen when an officer says stop, etc,etc.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread