No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6978058
08/30/20 05:30 AM
08/30/20 05:30 AM
W NY
Turtledale Online content
trapper
Turtledale  Online Content
trapper

W NY
Just like any people there are all types. Different "sects" of Amish just between here and the Pennsylvania border. Mennonites, Amish, etc.. The ones closest to me seem to follow the strictest guidelines. The one down in Pennsylvania seem to be more modern, wearing multi colored clothes, roller blading etc.. One thing they have in common is decimating our natural resources. They are constantly being ticketed forfishing violations especially taking over limits and undersized fish. They "hunt" by driving woods for deer with up to 50 people pushing small lots. Nothing is left unshot. I know a few that trap but don't know what their philosophy is on that. I do know by talk to them that with hunting and fishing they believe it was all put there for them from God to do with what they see fit. Just my observations by living around and talking to them

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Amish [Re: Gary Benson] #6978059
08/30/20 05:35 AM
08/30/20 05:35 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
[quote=grayfox54]Well excuse me mr. technicality, motors and engines are the same to me [/quote/]

Has the engine on your washing machine ever burned out?

I still have a little 2 cylinder 2 cycle maytag. Had it running 40 years ago or so. My mom used it long ago on a wringer washing machine. Its easier on clothes than a scrub board. Easier on the operator too.

Re: Amish [Re: KeithC] #6978131
08/30/20 08:10 AM
08/30/20 08:10 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by AJE
Inbreeding could be an issue

Negative recessive traits are a big problem for the Amish. Locally they have been bringing in single Amish men from Europe to some of the communities. I have heard they have set up some new communities with young families from all over the country in other states. I know two guys, who drive the Amish and they are both getting paid to drive young, Ohio Amish people to events in other states, probably to help them find spouses from a different community.

All of the Amish I have met have the last names Troyer, Miller, Kaufman or Yoder.

Keith

All those names in SE Nebraska are familiar except Kaufman. Also Borntraeger and Gingrich. And Swartz. The current Bishop is Swartz, and many are leaving because of him.
My Sons hired a couple of young Amish who had left the clan. They were enjoying their new-found freedom and wanted to be rodeo cowboys so they weren't very dependable and ended up getting sent down the road.
My Sister does taxes for some of the Amish. One of them had a piece of paper for "sale of (loose women)" Spelling of HORSE is important. laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by Gary Benson; 08/30/20 08:12 AM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6978199
08/30/20 09:25 AM
08/30/20 09:25 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I haven't seen Amish mafia on TV for a couple years.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6978222
08/30/20 09:51 AM
08/30/20 09:51 AM
Wellington,Ohio
R
Ric Offline
trapper
Ric  Offline
trapper
R

Wellington,Ohio
Lived around the Amish all my life. Had them work for me 40 + years. 90% of them there should be a bounty on. Of the remaining 10%, 5 are good people, 5 could go either way depending on what day it is

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6978233
08/30/20 10:03 AM
08/30/20 10:03 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
A quote I posted two years ago on this thread. It still applies and I suspect always will.

Originally Posted by Lugnut
It never fails. Whenever the topic of Amish comes up it turns to ridicule and bashing.

I know there are different sects/orders of Amish and Mennonite. You folks seem to have consistently met the worst of the worst? Or maybe you all just watched one too many episodes of the Amish Mafia?

The Amish I know, and I know a lot of them, are honest hard-working folks, especially the Old Order Amish.

Housing development has been running rampant in my area for thirty years or more. With the exception of a few holdouts, many of the Dutch farmers sold their farms to developers for whatever they could get and retired. No Amishman that I know or heard of has ever sold his farm to a developer. In fact they buy farms from the few Dutch farmers who don't want to see their family farms developed. The Amish buy them and give them to their sons to farm.

If not for the Amish around here, the entire area would be one giant, suburban development with McMansions every three acres! Also, I have never, not once, been turned down by any Amishman when seeking permission to hunt or trap on their property.

I'm thankful they are here, wish there were more of them.

Eh...wot?

Re: Amish [Re: upstateNY] #6978257
08/30/20 10:38 AM
08/30/20 10:38 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Some are Amish and some are Mennonites around here.Mennonites dress similar,but are much more liberal about the use of electricity and cars and such.

Yeah you think the Mennonites are more liberal until one of their daughters runs O. F. T. with rodeo trash like me back in the day. Denise Becker's dad still day dreams about cracking my head with a 2x4 30 years later LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6978274
08/30/20 11:06 AM
08/30/20 11:06 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
My cousin in Md. has a bunch near him, he's also friends with the local gynecologist, Doctor told him they schedule exams for the Amish women on Mondays, cause Saturday is bath night, and by the end of the week things are getting a little gamey.... LOL

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6979611
08/31/20 10:47 PM
08/31/20 10:47 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6979683
09/01/20 03:27 AM
09/01/20 03:27 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
I started reading this thread and thought it seemed awfully familiar, then read my own comment from 2 years ago and figured out why. AJE, just had to revive a 2-year-old thread to tell us they were jacklighting deer eh?

Gary, have you got the international definition of "motor" changed to your own yet?

I've never known any real Amish, but I've known 3 ex-Amish, named Schwartz, Yoder and Troyer. I see here those are all common names. I met them all different places and times, with no connection to one another. All 3 are honest quiet men and hard workers, and don't talk much about the old life.

Now, the Mennonites around here are probably the finest, hardest-working group of folks I've ever met. A Mennonite contractor built a 2400 sf shop for my old company, dirt to paint in 6 weeks. A friend of mine worked on a framing crew for a different Mennonite builder, and their specialty was building little 2-3 bedroom ranch houses in a single day. It was a crew of 7, I believe, and they'd show up in the morning to a foundation and leave that night with the shingles, doors and windows in. They're impressive to watch.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6979796
09/01/20 08:32 AM
09/01/20 08:32 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Would I rather live by a group of hard working people seemingly stuck in time or live in Chicago or Saint Louis where they just take what they want (or what they believe they are owed).

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6979803
09/01/20 08:41 AM
09/01/20 08:41 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

All people, if they choose, do the best they can, where they are, with what they have.

When we're put in "people groups," whether religious or not, it makes no difference to the "choose" portion of one's heart. We all steer toward what we love.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Amish [Re: ] #6979831
09/01/20 09:14 AM
09/01/20 09:14 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Mark June
All people, if they choose, do the best they can, where they are, with what they have.

When we're put in "people groups," whether religious or not, it makes no difference to the "choose" portion of one's heart. We all steer toward what we love.

Blessings,
Mark

Yeah I tend love the ways the hardworking people have over the ways of the looters and rioters. Nothing says I have to choose to live by them. Maybe Lot left his oasis not so much because of the people but because of their ways. If I have a choice I encourage things like hard work and discourage the other. Choice seems to be a shrinking commodity now a days. Unless of course in the instance of liberals and their choice.

Re: Amish [Re: Foxpaw] #6979837
09/01/20 09:20 AM
09/01/20 09:20 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Originally Posted by Mark June

Blessings,
Mark

Yeah I tend love the ways the hardworking people have over the ways of the looters and rioters. Nothing says I have to choose to live by them. Maybe Lot left his oasis not so much because of the people but because of their ways. If I have a choice I encourage things like hard work and discourage the other. Choice seems to be a shrinking commodity now a days. Unless of course in the instance of liberals and their choice.

I'm kinda with ya Foxpaw. I don't care how light or dark you are or who your papa was or wasn't. I'm just not big on sloth frown (so says my carnal side!)

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6979903
09/01/20 10:47 AM
09/01/20 10:47 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
There are a lot of Amish-run businesses around here and I frequent quite a few of them. I get my hydraulic hoses from the local tractor repair business. It's interesting to see the older, steel-wheeled tractors in the repair bays next to the newer, English owned machines.

The Amish I know are shrewd businessmen and great bargainers. I bought my back-hoe used from an Amish-owned tool shop. It was a classic negotiation complete with dollar amounts written on slips of paper and slid cross the counter. Also, the old "I'll-have-to-clear-that-with-my-boss" tactic was used where he'd disappear into the back of the shop for a few minutes at a time even though I knew he was the owner of the establishment.

He started at $25,000.00 and I started at $15,000.00. After about thirty minutes of back and forth we settled at $18,500.00 and his business would transport it to and from my job sites for one month or until I got a trailer, whichever came first.

It was a good deal for both of us.

Eh...wot?

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6980166
09/01/20 03:44 PM
09/01/20 03:44 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
That's Awesome Lugnut^^^!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Amish [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6980194
09/01/20 04:28 PM
09/01/20 04:28 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
the biggest reasons they don't have electricity is A. they can't measure it they would be trusting a meter with no other way to measure the thing they are using , B. it would be credit using electric until the end of the month when the English man told you what your bill was and expected it paid and they don't do credit , C. it caused a lot of fires and it wasn't a fire that you could just prevent by not having a candle burning it was fires that just happen.

They do credit, but it is in-house credit. Generally, a group, or an individual amish family that has wealth will loan money to other Amish...usually the young bucks just getting started that need money to buy ground.

Re: Amish [Re: midlander] #6980311
09/01/20 06:52 PM
09/01/20 06:52 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
They do a lot of credit around here. We have old order and new order Amish and I worked with many that took out USDA FSA agriculture loans to start their farms and get going. Yes they preferred to utilize in house credit but that was not always available. They were willing to take significant credit risks and some had very low equity in their farms when getting started.
Amish is an offshoot of the Mennonite religion started by Mennen. There are typically three orders within each of the two with less rigid, typical and old order. There are Mennonites with rubber tired vehicles which they drive. The new order Amish here did not have cars but used a lot of gas powered equipment. They had cell phones but no land lines and now electricity in the house but that electricity for the farm and barn. Years ago one of the larger feed companies in the Mid-West was McNess which was owned by a Mennonite. He would hire a driver to drive around to all the businesses that used McNess feeds. He did very, very well. Don't know where that brand ended up.
Most of the original old order Amish came to WI during WW11 when many men were drafted and due to their non war stance the Amish worked many of the dairy farms in central and western WI and then bought their own farms over time. Many of the later Mennonites that came were from eastern PA where they could sell land for 5 times or more what an acre of cut over farm land here cost.

Bryce

Re: Amish [Re: AJE] #6980327
09/01/20 07:13 PM
09/01/20 07:13 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
My Sis worked in a bank and Amish were constant customers.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread