ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Nets - Your experiences and Recommendations? #6980279
09/01/20 06:23 PM
09/01/20 06:23 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
Hi folks,

I am seeking input and recommendations for nets. I need to carry in my truck a couple nets to accomplish at least two very different tasks. So, I certainly do not expect one new net to be appropriate for both uses. Right now in my truck I have a couple old landing nets which have awkwardly served the purpose, but do not make a good impression. My truck bed length is 81 inches. If is fine if the net folds, or the handle needs to be removed from the hoop.

My first use for a net is to catch a bird or bat in a customer’s home living space. Sometimes the ceilings are quite tall - vaulted or cathedral ceilings. It is important that this net be clean and sanitary and not damage or ideally not even touch the customer’s furnishings. Also, it cannot be too bulky or awkward to carry into and move around in the customer’s home. I must be able to safely release the bird or bat outside. It would be nice if this net has other uses too. I do have a small net for close range easy catches.

My second use for a net is to catch a raccoon with or without kits, a groundhog, or a squirrel that has gotten into a home, attic, garage, or basement where I need to immediately catch and remove it. The net should then allow safe carrying, and then safe transfer of the animal into a transfer cage. Likewise it would be nice if this net has other possible uses.

So I am am looking at nets at WCS and other places. There are some great looking nets, but how are they in actual use? What are your experiences and recommendations?
Thank you and best wishes.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Nets - Your experiences and Recommendations? [Re: Willy Firewood] #6980377
09/01/20 07:50 PM
09/01/20 07:50 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
For birds and bats, I have a minnow fish net with an expandable handle. It is rubberized with small mash. It will reach to about 6 ft. plus my 6 ft. I have in the past taped it to a pole for more reach. It works for me. for larger animals, I use a live trap to get the animal into. The few times I used a net on a squirrel or ground hog, they went right through the net. Big teeth.

Re: Nets - Your experiences and Recommendations? [Re: Willy Firewood] #6980845
09/02/20 11:26 AM
09/02/20 11:26 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Willy,

Bought the small hand net from WCS, still have it great net. Good for within reach bats or birds or other small species.

Also have the square bet on the long pole for $59.95 which has been a good net for birds indoors in tall atriums and bats in high ceiling scenarios.

Also back when we started bought a throw net as well, and have two large white nets I think we’re from tomahawk directly, those have only been needed or used for urban coyote capture.

None of these have had special care and have ridden around in vehicle for 10 years now and all are still in perfect working condition.

Also have some goldfish dip nets for simple bat capture of roosting bat when on a ladder and they are on the wall or interior surface just to prevent a quick escape. Always makes folks who are fearful of bats look goofy when they see this little 3”x3” net come out of my pocket to get the terrifying little 2 3/4” bat off the wall!

——

Should add in the small to mid sized animals with teeth as Jim said, we have a metal smelt net with an 6’ pole. Can fit an entire bobcat under one, have had urban area bobcats trapped in areas where footholds are against the law and not wired off end up on someone else’s property, the smelt net has always been a great tool for simple release. Used one back in the day for lots of capture and handling projects. Cheap and effective.

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 09/02/20 11:29 AM.
Re: Nets - Your experiences and Recommendations? [Re: Willy Firewood] #6981325
09/02/20 09:28 PM
09/02/20 09:28 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline OP
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline OP
trapper
W

Ohio
Hi Jim and HD,

Thanks for the replies and info

The minnow net works well. I have one the is about 6”x8” on a 24” handle like for scooping minnows at a bait shop back when a scoop was a dozen. I have also taped it to a longer handle. Customers seem to not like that in their fancy homes.

Recently I went on a bat call where they had one roosted in the house. The peak where the bat was roosted was 24 feet. I told the people to call when it was lower. They called when it was inside a lampshade and the little net worked.

For raccoons and other toothed critters I use a 5 foot catch pole. That takes good timing and a good opportunity. The customers are always impressed. One customer said that when I walked to my truck and the raccoon was still in the catch pole the raccoon was sleeping when I transferred it into a cage trap. No way for squirrels.

When there are no clear paths my alternative is a large landing net with large mesh. When I catch them and give the net a flip their entire snout/mouth sticks out usually no chewing. If they bite a strand it is easy to repair. Again no way for squirrels. Transfer to a cage trap is miserable.

Yikes, a throw net for coyotes sounds fun!

The square net on the long pole looks great, but it appears to be too long for in my truck. Unless the net section is removable from the handle.

Using a tiny 3”x3” goldfish net to catch a bat is showing off!

If the metal smelt net will survive a bobcat experience, it is good quality. I will look for one!

Thanks for sharing the experiences and ideas.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread